BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Are there games which affect other games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there games which are tied together, so that the end-state of another impacts the start-state of another, entirely different board game?

For example, at the end of one game human empires would worship different gods. At the beginning of another, a dungeon crawler, players would pick characters from said empires, and the god they worship would affect available skills.

This would create potentially epic story arcs, and tie games set in the same world thematically together. This would of course be optional, so there's no need to own both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always treated roleplaying games as a bunch of mini games within the larger storytelling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the idea.

GIPF Project - abstract strategy:

The series is named after the first game, GIPF, and the idea behind the project is that the reward for winning each of the other games in the series is to allow the winner to introduce new pieces with special powers, called potentials, into a concurrent game of GIPF. However, any of the games may also be played individually in the normal way, and they have attained most popularity in this form.

(I haven't played any of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Haigh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Chronicles series (of which only Chronicles 1: Origins has been announced so far) is going to do something along these lines.

You start off developing stone age tribes in the first game of the series, and how these progress will provide the starting point for city states, and on into civilizations etc. in later games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
235689KA
badge
Content Generation For A New Generation
mbmbmbmbmb
BIOS: Origins is an expansion which links Bios: Megafauna and Origins: How We Became Human: the players develop creatures in Megafauna which become the humanoids they develop in Origins. It can even be carried forward into High Frontier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neanderthal is a prequel to Greenland, and there are rules so can play them in a series as you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start Player + [any game]

(obviously, there's that legacy concept, it's all about the same single game though, not about multiple different ones.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The meta-module RuneSaga binds together the games Shipwrights of the North Sea, Raiders of the North Sea and Explorers of the North Sea, might fit with what you think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner of Bomb Squad Academy gets to be the start player in Bomb Squad if playing them back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you do realize that ...

... if part of the "reward" for winning one game is that you get an advantage in the succeeding game ...

... then those who lose one game are not encouraged to play the next...

... and you may even get into a situation of a Runaway Leader or a Starving Loser over the course of several games.

The Great Dalmuti. (aka, Social Order). There's some interesting mechanisms there for upsetting the winner advantage cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Talon and Space Empires: 4X work together.

BattleTech, BattleTech: AeroTech and Battlespace can all work together. What occurs in space could affect the ground battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
Are there games which are tied together, so that the end-state of another impacts the start-state of another, entirely different board game?

A variation on that is Hapsburg Eclipse and Ottoman Sunset, 2 standalone solitaire historical wargames which can also be played linked together, including as a coop (one player in each theater of the war), with mechanisms for one front affecting the other.

As I recall there were rules for using StarSoldier: Tactical Warfare in the 25th Century to resolve planetary battles in StarForce 'Alpha Centauri': Interstellar Conflict in the 25th Century. I think a fair number of other independent tactical and strategic games have rules for linking them together too, using one to resolve battles in the other.

(That's a bit like GIPF + "potentials" mentioned upthread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fost
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one that came to mind, although maybe not what your looking for.
Cartagena, in this game you are trying to escape a prison.

Then you could play Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest, in which you leave the island prison to find safe haven in the Pirates nest.

I suppose you could play both games combined and the true winner is the one to get to the Pirates nest first.

Take care,
Douglas Fost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Talon and Space Empires: 4X work together.

I didn't know much about these games, but after seeing this I looked them up and, if I understand correctly, they are designed to allow you to play a strategic 4x game and then "zoom in" and play out individual battles tactically? Something akin to what the "Total War" video games do? In SPACE?

...I might be about to make a financially irresponsible decision...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game we play before we play a game of Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition), because whoever screwed me over in the previous one is getting shot at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

... if part of the "reward" for winning one game is that you get an advantage in the succeeding game ...

... and you may even get into a situation of a Runaway Leader or a Starving Loser over the course of several games.

That's why I'd prefer a series where the starting position is variable, but without there being a better position for the winner. (i.e. an advantage)
No idea how the OP thinks about that though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on one....

I've seen more than one successful implementation of using different scale games as a campaign. Role Play the adventurers, but skirmish the squadrons they are moving around, or use a separate game for vehicle combat and so on...

My 'reward' system involves choice for the winners more often than actual tactical advantage. i.e. "You wiped out their scouts, they don't know you are coming do you a) advance quickly with what you have for surprise or b) wait for the full army and attack en masse?

Limited play-testers so far, but the 'reward' of guiding the campaign seems to be enough for most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

... and you may even get into a situation of a Runaway Leadher or a Starving Loser over the course of several games.

That's why I'd prefer a series where the starting position is variable, but without there being a better position for the winner. (i.e. an advantage)
No idea how the OP thinks about that though...

Of course, you could switch sides for the follow-up game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of revealing my grognard roots, there are any number of old wargames that use this concept. First one that leaps to mind is Avalon Hill's Squad Leader. It had a campaign game in which each player added a low-rank leader to his side's OOB. As you moved from scenario to scenario, your leader advanced in rank (and therefore ability) depending on how well that specific leader counter contributed to the troops' performance. They even added no-name leader counters expressly for that purpose. I guess when a game has like a bazillion pieces already, what's another dozen or so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a surprise, a whole bunch of them. Thanks, this will give me plenty of more to research.

Stormtower wrote:

The Great Dalmuti. (aka, Social Order). There's some interesting mechanisms there for upsetting the winner advantage cycle.

No risk of that happening with my idea. The gods affect how the setting (environment) is built for added replayability, and will not to give an advantage to anyone.

In any case, this idea is in nascent stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
...Avalon Hill's Squad Leader. It had a campaign game in which each player added a low-rank leader to his side's OOB. As you moved from scenario to scenario, your leader advanced in rank (and therefore ability) depending on how well that specific leader counter contributed to the troops' performance.

I thought (but am not sure) that the OP meant different games affecting each other, not a single game with campaign rules. Otherwise, sure, there are zillions of self-contained single games with campaigns/multisession/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
I thought (but am not sure) that the OP meant different games affecting each other, not a single game with campaign rules. Otherwise, sure, there are zillions of self-contained single games with campaigns/multisession/etc.

That's right. Tried to make that clear in the OP, apparently it wasn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
The Tourneys expansion for Dragon Valley is an interesting idea.

Because the base game can be prone to analysis paralysis, the players who are waiting for the current player can play mini games. The winner gains victory points.

So, if you're spending a lot of time trying to screw your opponents over, they can have fun and gain points while you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flahr wrote:
BIOS: Origins is an expansion which links Bios: Megafauna and Origins: How We Became Human: the players develop creatures in Megafauna which become the humanoids they develop in Origins. It can even be carried forward into High Frontier.

You can take Bios: Genesis (molecules evolving into life, then into macro-organisms), feed that into Bios: Megafauna (little dino/mammalian creatures that become the biggest animals to ever walk the earth), feed that into Origins: How we became human, and then, yes, even venture into space exploration, with High Frontier (and then, kick it into overdrive on a colony ship, heading out to new stars from our solar system, with Interstellar).

There are qualifiers for each new game. If you don't go macro in Genesis, you're excluded from BMF.
If you don't have instincts (traits acquired thru mutations during gameplay), you're excluded from Origins.

As mentioned previously, Greenland and Neanderthal work similarly. I've done it once. You feed your score into the second game, and certain qualifiers from Neanderthal determine Greenland's starting game state. Highest score total from both games is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.