Subject: CONAN - Painted minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Budala Budala
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hello !

I'm a happy and lucky guy : tuesday I get some Conan extra minis in my letter box
Sorry for the bad pictures modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Myers
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amaro Vitoria
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate you... a lot... angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaro wrote:

I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Amaro wrote:

I love it!

I hate Budala a lot too.
It must be because we're spanish and he's french.

The miniatures and the painting job look excellent.
Maybe I would hate Budala a bit less if he paints my miniatures too. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Budala Budala
France
flag msg tools
mb
I love you all laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sandere igor
msg tools
Actually, there is more than one fortunate french guy who's got his greedy hands on Conan Minis early

This is not to brag or to undermine my compatriot's work (wich has been amazing in regard of his 3 D boards) but only to show you more examples of what you will get : these are production minis, just like those you'll get very soon !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
I will probably try to paint it with my kids. If you are not ambitious in the result you want, do you think it's possible to have a decent looking without shadowing and all the crazy stuff ? To be more precise, do you thin it will be better than having the minis unpainted ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, looks like I need to invest in some skin-colored primer to save me about 90% of my painting time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
I will probably try to paint it with my kids. If you are not ambitious in the result you want, do you think it's possible to have a decent looking without shadowing and all the crazy stuff ? To be more precise, do you thin it will be better than having the minis unpainted ?

I think any kind of paint job will highlight the details a bit more
if you don't want to go into much complex highlighting stuff I would suggest a simple approach.
for example picts or barbarians
base coat flesh, some limited base colors (cloth, hair, weapon) and simple ink wash to get some shadows (this is actually the easy part if you apply it liberally over the whole model ).
it limits the number of required colors and should be easy and fast even if you don't go into all the details
similar approach would work also for skeletons mummies etc

on thing when deciding about painting or not.
For me unpainted minis (or at the same stage) are better than having something like half and half - at least in the long run.
For Conan that might not be that much of an issue since you always work only with a subset but it's something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your advice ! I was in fact considering flesh then, basic colors then ink. It seems to be fast enough. I painted with my kids mice and mystics figurines with just markers without any shadowing, just highlighting clothes and weapons in plain colors. And it made the game tat much enjoyable. It's easier to tell the miniatures apart and does bring some (not all) details. Some paint is I think better than no paint. I am more hesitant on this one as I will not play it only with my kids and the them being more serious than mice and mystics, I don't want to have too ugly painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
. Some paint is I think better than no paint. I am more hesitant on this one as I will not play it only with my kids and the them being more serious than mice and mystics, I don't want to have too ugly painting.

as long as you don't heap on the colors with a shovel you can always go back by repriming the minis. so there isn't much risk involved.
another easy way would be a more symbolic approach.
just use a primer per mini type (hero minion boss etc) plus a simple wash.
would be a more meeple than mini approach but would still add some details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These paintjobs are fantastic thumbsup

One short question:
Do you think I could wash the minis without priming? Just to get all details right?
I'm familiar with miniature games, but have never done any painting without priming

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
ElderSigned wrote:
These paintjobs are fantastic thumbsup

One short question:
Do you think I could wash the minis without priming? Just to get all details right?
I'm familiar with miniature games, but have never done any painting without priming

Thanks in advance!

Washing without priming is just pouring ink over the plastic. It wouldn't sit right at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

Washing without priming is just pouring ink over the plastic. It wouldn't sit right at all.

hm...
But what about all those metal minis which are washed to show off all details for promotional photos? Must be one advantage of the metal then.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
ElderSigned wrote:
Hillean wrote:

hm...
But what about all those metal minis which are washed to show off all details for promotional photos? Must be one advantage of the metal then.

Thanks!

Bare metal has +/- the same "grip" as plastic.
Metal minis manufacturers typically use black shoe polish for their pictures. Which is great for pics, but not so when you want to actually play with the minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jek Heal
msg tools
I create a website for Conan Painters.

Go Conan Paintings

Enjoy everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Man, looks like I need to invest in some skin-colored primer to save me about 90% of my painting time

that's the way I went; using army painters Barbarian Flesh, if not here where else.

as the discussion about details in the hero minis comes up now and again, I made some close ups between untouched minis and primed.

Conan the Wanderer and the Pict Warriors match from the general style making them a good base for the comparison - and hey we have enough conans to use them in some testing...
My impression is, they appear less detailed in their fresh state mostly due to their higher reflectivity.
Once a base coat is applied they have roughly the same detail level.

my first iteration on the wanderer

I have way too few flesh and brown tones in my color supply, too space hulky the remains of my color palette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
using army painters Barbarian Flesh

Is that a spray primer?

I know neither the Reaper Bones PVC and Dwarven Forge PVC takes to primer very well (endlessly tacky in many cases), so I'm eager to hear of how folks are priming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CraftyShafty wrote:
asgorn wrote:

Is that a spray primer?

I know neither the Reaper Bones PVC and Dwarven Forge PVC takes to primer very well (endlessly tacky in many cases), so I'm eager to hear of how folks are priming.

I presume it's the same primer as the necrotic flesh I used for zombicide - if so it's a spray. Really easy to use.

Brilliant stuff the army painter primer imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
Hillean wrote:

that's the way I went; using army painters Barbarian Flesh, if not here where else.

as the discussion about details in the hero minis comes up now and again, I made some close ups between untouched minis and primed.

Conan the Wanderer and the Pict Warriors match from the general style making them a good base for the comparison - and hey we have enough conans to use them in some testing...
My impression is, they appear less detailed in their fresh state mostly due to their higher reflectivity.
Once a base coat is applied they have roughly the same detail level.

my first iteration on the wanderer

I have way too few flesh and brown tones in my color supply, too space hulky the remains of my color palette.

Thanks for these - removes a lot of worry about the figs :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackpuddingbertha wrote:
CraftyShafty wrote:
asgorn wrote:

Is that a spray primer?

I presume it's the same primer as the necrotic flesh I used for zombicide - if so it's a spray. Really easy to use.

Brilliant stuff the army painter primer imo

yep it's from their range of spray primers
so far I had only positive results with them, easy to apply, good coverage and nice range of options.
I think they add a slightly rougher surface than the games workshop primers, but I can't really be sure as I have no direct reference at hand - and it isn't necessarily a bad thing (depends a bit on the mini and the scale)

generally the colored primers help my painting process a lot as they reduce the time for more boring priming and base coloring (at least parts) of minis. Also, since I don't really have a high throughput they allow for some relative fast basic color distribution over all minis so that singular painted minis don't stand out too much during use of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
had myself a bit of fun with good old Thaug

experimented a bit with gloss varnish to see if one can get a nice wet sea monster vibe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the pic, I would say that this was a successful experiment.

Well done, looks nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.