Hide
11 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Final Stand and Stay Down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimbo Jones
msg tools
I'm wondering about the resolution timing of the combination of these two cards. The way i'm currently reading it is:

- Final Stand is a special action that invokes (contains) the special action Close and Personal.
- Since Final Stand contains Close and Personal, the order of events is:
1 Final Stand Start
2 Close and Personal Start
3 Close and Personal Resolve
4 Final Stand Resolve
- The above would mean, since Biv only gets stunned at the resolution of Final Stand, that Stay Down should be able to be used between events 3 and 4.
- The only counter-argument i can think of to the above is the lack of the word 'resolve' in the wording of Final Stand.

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be helfpul if you included the complete wording of the used cards. I can't look them up right now, so it's hard to answer (I never played with/against Biv).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunta wrote:
- Final Stand is a special action that invokes (contains) the special action Close and Personal.

Not exactly. Final Stand is a special action that let's Biv perform the Close and Personal ability without upfront cost, but a cost afterwards (damage and stunned). (Because Final Stand is a different special action, he can perform the Close and Personal special action in addition to Final Stand special action during the same activation.)

Yes, I do think the "Then" part of Final Stand triggers at the same time as Stay Down, so you can choose the order.

(You will be skipping a lot of class cards if you buy two 4XP cards.)

Stay Down wrote:
: Exhaust this card after you resolve "Close and Personal." If the target was not defeated, perform the melee attack from "Close and Personal" again, targeting the same figure.

Final Stand wrote:
Deplete this card to recover
equal to your Endurance, move a number of spaces upto your speed, and perform "Close and Personal" without using an action or suffering the
cost. Then, you suffer 2mb and become Stunned.

(Why did I write that when I had Rebel Character Cards Reference?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. As an Imp player, I haven't really looked that closely at the Rebel class cards yet, unless they're in play. But that's brutal. Biv could theoretically user C&P, then use Final Stand (recovering 4 strain), and then use Stay down.

Breaking that down, it's a possible net of:

-5 attacks (2 ranged, 3 melee)
- 4 movement points (or speed, if enhanced)
- 0 strain gained
- 2 damage suffered

That's really not a bad turn at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad, but it is 8 XP and Final Stand is once per mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, it's not even 4 movement points - it's 4 spaces of movement, which is usually better (though you can't save the movement points for later - but, since you're stunned, it doesn't matter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
jakers98 wrote:
Also, it's not even 4 movement points - it's 4 spaces of movement, which is usually better (though you can't save the movement points for later - but, since you're stunned, it doesn't matter)

How so? Is the difference that with "4 spaces", movement through difficult terrain or enemy spaces does not count extra?

a1bert wrote:
Not bad, but it is 8 XP and Final Stand is once per mission.

Yeah, true. It's not game breaking by any means, but it's definitely one helluva activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. Move X spaces ignores extra costs due to difficult terrain and hostile figures, while those costs must be paid when spending movement points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Jones
msg tools
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
Wow. As an Imp player, I haven't really looked that closely at the Rebel class cards yet, unless they're in play. But that's brutal. Biv could theoretically user C&P, then use Final Stand (recovering 4 strain), and then use Stay down.

Breaking that down, it's a possible net of:

-5 attacks (2 ranged, 3 melee)
- 4 movement points (or speed, if enhanced)
- 0 strain gained
- 2 damage suffered

That's really not a bad turn at all!

and with vibrobayonet, just think of how much blood he can get on what passes as carpet in the galaxy star wars exists in. If only you could stack bleeds....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, most of those attacks would be against one figure. And if Biv had that arsenal, we would be against a Stormtrooper swarm. It still takes an action to kill one of them, but none of those goodies can be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
True, but sometimes missions require the rebels to defeat a figure with a lot of health, like an AT-ST or buffed officer. In that case, Biv is a lot more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.