BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Mercury Prize 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so pleased that Skepta won the Mercury Prize for best album of the year. He was up against it ( Michael Kiwanuka, 1975, Bat for Lashes, David Bowie) but for me, it was the right result. All the more impressive that he got burned in the music business a few years back, but has come back stronger but wiser with a self-produced album. No manager, no stylist, no record company. Just hard hitting, in-your-face GRIME.

GRIME will be massive in the next year or so, only a matter of time before it arrives with a bang in the US. Check it out.

Skepta, Stormzy, Kano. Brilliant stuff. If you have the guts to listen to it, that is. It ain't easy listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Meeple1 wrote:
Wait what?

Skepta = British grime rapper/artist

Grime = popular British rap/hiphop/garage/jungle musical artform
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
Wait what?

Wait what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Meeple1 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
Wait what?

Wait what?

Wiki wrote:
Music is an art form and cultural activity whose medium is sound and silence. The common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics (loudness and softness), and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture (which are sometimes termed the "color" of a musical sound). Different styles or types of music may emphasize, de-emphasize or omit some of these elements. Music is performed with a vast range of instruments and with vocal techniques ranging from singing to rapping, and there are solely instrumental pieces, solely vocal pieces (such as songs without instrumental accompaniment) and pieces that combine singing and instruments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:
Wait what?

Wait what?

Wiki wrote:
Music is an art form and cultural activity whose medium is sound and silence. The common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics (loudness and softness), and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture (which are sometimes termed the "color" of a musical sound). Different styles or types of music may emphasize, de-emphasize or omit some of these elements. Music is performed with a vast range of instruments and with vocal techniques ranging from singing to rapping, and there are solely instrumental pieces, solely vocal pieces (such as songs without instrumental accompaniment) and pieces that combine singing and instruments.

Does it come in red?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
Wait what?

It is from my ends. N 17. Tottenham, fam, y' get me?

I mean to say, it's a form of popular "Beat" music, that has it's origins in north east London, and is - I'm reliably informed - popular with the young people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 47 and love Grime; does that mean I'm a young person ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it means you are tone-deaf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.