Thunder Alley» Forums » Variants

Subject: Black flag Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Tobey
Germany
Greifswald
flag msg tools
Hey, since my last proposal, I worked on a better black flag rule to give this already great game a little bit more taste of Nascar. Some ideas are my own, some are others I found on BGG or were inspired by them:

1 - Starting Grid:

If you`re running a season determine starting order as normal. In all others races the system keeps the same, but no card is drawn. Instead youse the points and award the first spot to the team running with least points. Reverse the order after all teams placed a car exactly as in the game.

2 - Black flag

If any car pits whether under yellow or green draw two cards and refer to the team bar, if a team on both cards is listed on the same position (e.g. third read from the left) the this team gets balck flag. Multiple Cars can be affected.
If multiple cars of a team are eligible, the car with most wear markers combined which were shown on the two drawn card will be penalized, otherwise the one with most wear markers and after this it is the choice of the player.
Under green a penalized car moves back ten spaces instead of 5 or, if you`re playing the variable pit stop length rule, the car is moved back the double number of spaces it would according the rule.
Under yellow the car is placed at the last place or at the end of the longest file. Alternativly to the nascar rules you can place it right in front of lucky dog and wave arounds. If you think this is too harmful move the penalized cars 3 spaces back in the pit lane before setting up the restart grid. Which means to loose 6 spots. The penalized car so is placed last at top of ohter cars in the same space thus it comes out after cars in that space and placed behind them.

The rule is based upon the scamble for the exit rule of the TACC expansion, the mechanism I read on a post of Tom Ballou who suggested to penalize a car according the TACC rules if its team color is shown on the first place in the team bar on two cards to be drawn instead of just one. So it isn`t really my idea, I just use it in a different way.

3 - Wave Arounds or Car not eliminated due to caution (from my former post)

Cars lapped, which are not eliminted due a caution comes up, are not allowed to pit (like Wave Arounds in NASCAR - they stay out and get a lap back).
I usually play with the lucky dog rule from TACC, and recommend this too use this in conjunction if you`re using this variant.
If you're playing with the Lucky Dog rule (i.e. like in TACC), in case of Wave Arounds the highest ranked Wave Around is the Lucky Dog and allowed to pit in spite of the others and no eliminated lapped car returns.

Reasoning: If a lapped car which was eliminated is coming back, it has no wear markers as it has pitted. The Wave Arounds in front retain their damage. The Lucky Dog returned from the eliminated cars which actual run worse thus would get a huge advantage by cycling through when the Wave Arounds pit next time. Therefor I added this for the reason to avoid penalizing cars which actual run better.

Have fun with it and let me know your oppinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.