Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules specify that "Each time this icon appears on a Summoning card during the Summoning step, move each Shoggoth one location closer to the nearest open gate.".

Therefore the card taken from the bottom of the deck to spawn a new shoggoth in the 3rd step of an "Evil stirs" card should not be used to move them, even if it bears the icon.

Neither should the cards used to add 4 cultists if Shub-Niggurath awakens when it is resolved as the 2nd step of the same "Evil stirs" cards.

... since "Evil stirs" cards are drawn during the "Draw cards" step, not the "Summoning" one.

Is this right so far ?

But then what about the same Shub-Niggurath awakening as the result of a 4th cultist being called to a location where there are already 3 of them ? It is the Summoning step, so are these 4 cards to be considered if they bear the icon ? This could mean very fast shoggoths... laugh

And another question :
Although this seems quite unlikely, nothing forbids several shoggoths to be on the same location (well, no more than three anyway... aren't the people living there the lucky ones ?). Do we have to roll for sanity for each one of them if we go there, or only once total ?

Thanks for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first part is right.

For the second part I'll have to re-read the rules exactly but my feeling is that you should have to roll for each one (to simulate the effect of multiple Shoggoths making the place so much more stressful) but without the rule book, I can't be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say the first part is right, you mean we do take into account the shoggoth's icons on the 4 Shub-Niggurath's cards if its awakening occurs in the summoning step (although it seems weird to me that its result may differ from one case to the other...) ?

About the written rules for the sanity die when there are shoggoths, they mention the location, not the shoggoth itself :
A player must roll the Sanity die whenever they enter a location with a Shoggoth, or a Shoggoth enters their location.

Therefore should I think it's only one roll total ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
Although this seems quite unlikely, nothing forbids several shoggoths to be on the same location...

Scratch that : it simply occurred in my third game (one was simply summoned just where another was).

Therefore it must have been happening during game testing too, and if they didn't think to add a note about it, that must be because the wording was already answering correctly.
=> It must be only one roll.

But then, what about if I'm on a location near two shoggoths, and then both of them move into my location at the same time ?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuante Momiage
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Everything above "Is this right so far?" looks correct.

Now, I'm the guy who wants his Lovecraft games soul crushingly difficult and normally would houserule something to be on the sharper side of cruel if I couldn't determine the answer.

Having said that though, I feel that if ol' Shub is awakened during the Summoning phase, then the next step is to go to the Awakening Ritual which is its own phase. Therefore the cards drawn would not move any Shoggoths. Only the cards drawn as a part of the Summoning phase count (so the 2 or 3 location cards depending on where your Summoning rate is at). Just don't forget to finish the Summoning phase if you awaken Shub (or any other old one) on the first draw. The rules don't explicitly state that an Awakening Ritual stops the Summoning phase. Yes that could mean chained Awakening Rituals. And if Shub placing his 4 cultists triggers any Awakening Rituals? Mmmm, pain.

As far rolling Sanity, I also would only roll Sanity once even if there's more than one Shoggoth present because the rules say to roll when entering a Shoggoth's location not roll the quantity of Shoggoths present at that location. Since you are only entering one single location, you roll only once. But if more than one Shoggoth enters your location as result of moving, then I would roll for each because each one moved individually into your location and the rules state to roll whenever a Shoggoth enters your location.

Merely my opinions and not official by any means.
Ps: I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be many questions regarding these rules. I found the rules for the original Pandemic clear and concise. Would others agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as PRoC rules go, they are VERY clear and concise IMO. If you read the rules literally as they are written, job done.

I've not played a game 3 times in the same evening I opened the box before. This one didn't require a 'solo' playthrough to get the hang of it before playing it with friends. Probably the most straightforward game I've purchased. Very good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delayed response all. I just got back from a mini-vacation and am now returning to the land of computers and being "plugged in".

For your first question, you are correct. Only cards drawn explicitly during the Summoning step of the game that bear the Shoggoth symbol will move a Shoggoth (so not the card drawn from the bottom of the deck during an Evil Stirs). However, if Shub-Niggurath wakes up during the Summoning step that would indeed trigger the Shoggoths to move if those cards bore the Shoggoth symbol. A truly dangerous and unfortunate event if it does happen.

For your second question, you do roll the sanity die each time you move into a space with a Shoggoth, or any time a SHoggoth moves into your space. So if two Shoggoth both move into your space, you would roll twice, once for each Shoggoth that entered your location.

Hope this clears it up. Let me know if you have any other questions. And thanks for playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaatmal wrote:
For your second question, you do roll the sanity die each time you move into a space with a Shoggoth, or any time a SHoggoth moves into your space. So if two Shoggoth both move into your space, you would roll twice, once for each Shoggoth that entered your location.

Therefore, twice if two shoggoths enter your space at the same time, but only once if the movement is yours to enter a space where several shoggoths reside. Is that it ?

Thanks for the game. Despite these pernickety (is that even a word ?) questions, we played it last friday night with two friends and greatly enjoyed ourselves.

(and don't apologize : you're absolutely entitled to vacations as anybody else )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you move into a space with 2 Shoggoths, you should still roll twice, once for each Shoggoth there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuante Momiage
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Oh my Elder God! Those are some mean rule clarifications!

Which of course brings me great pleasure. Lol

Chuck you evil man, I love ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL...well it's meant to be a battle against insanity...why not start with insane situational rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then...
You know what ? No more question there.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bove
msg tools
On a side note. When you are seeding the board at the beginning of the game, when you have to draw the initial shoggoth, if the card has shoggoth movement, do you spawn him and then move him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you do not need to move him at the start since that is during setup and not the Summoning Step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
kaatmal wrote:
If you move into a space with 2 Shoggoths, you should still roll twice, once for each Shoggoth there.

I think most people are getting this wrong, as it's a bit counterintuitive to what the rules say as written. We had this happen two days ago, and indeed only rolled the die once, since the rules say to roll if you enter a space with a shoggoth on in, as opposed to "Roll the sanity die for each shoggoth on the location"

I think it should be rephrased since people consistently get it wrong. From what I've seen. When the question is asked, players interpret the rule as written. Which is to roll once whenever you enter a location with a shoggoth on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, and I assume that, as it happened in our first game. If your Shoggoth is put on a gate during setup, it's just too bad so sad.

It moved immediately at the first summoning step, along with an Evil stirs card. Our introduction to the game was pretty brutal.

Needless to say we did not win that lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaatmal wrote:
LOL...well it's meant to be a battle against insanity...why not start with insane situational rules.

Would a player know this rules clarification just by reading the ancient one card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not and a good point. Z-Man is assembling things like this that have come up for the FAQ. I am sure this will be added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.