Subject: Spawning on occupied Xes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a very dumb question, but it keeps nagging in the back of my head...

The rulebook states that you must first fill all unoccupied Xes of the spawn point when spawning new aliens. Once there are no more unoccupied spaces, you start pushing aliens to make room for new ones. This implies that you are not allowed to put all aliens on one and the same X, pushing them forward as each new one spawns.

However, what happens if/once all the spaces are occupied: do you have to spread the new aliens across the Xes or are you allowed in this instance to spawn more aliens in one particular spot.

Let me use an example to clarify: at the Abandoned Lab, there are 4 Xes for the bottom-left spawn location (near the round setup overview). If there are two shooters in the back-most spaces and two biters in the fore-most and four runners must be spawned here, is it allowed to spawn the runners divided across the two biter-occupied spaces (allowing the player(s) to leave the shooters behind and enabling them to use Alien Movement rolls on these low-threat enemies)? Or do the four runners have to be spread across the four spawning spaces?

I find that I tend to assume that once each X is occupied, I get to choose, but I realise there is nothing in the rulebook to support this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
The Pursuit of Happiness expansion > End of January on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Co1980 wrote:
This may be a very dumb question, but it keeps nagging in the back of my head...

The rulebook states that you must first fill all unoccupied Xes of the spawn point when spawning new aliens. Once there are no more unoccupied spaces, you start pushing aliens to make room for new ones. This implies that you are not allowed to put all aliens on one and the same X, pushing them forward as each new one spawns.

However, what happens if/once all the spaces are occupied: do you have to spread the new aliens across the Xes or are you allowed in this instance to spawn more aliens in one particular spot.

Let me use an example to clarify: at the Abandoned Lab, there are 4 Xes for the bottom-left spawn location (near the round setup overview). If there are two shooters in the back-most spaces and two biters in the fore-most and four runners must be spawned here, is it allowed to spawn the runners divided across the two biter-occupied spaces (allowing the player(s) to leave the shooters behind and enabling them to use Alien Movement rolls on these low-threat enemies)? Or do the four runners have to be spread across the four spawning spaces?

I find that I tend to assume that once each X is occupied, I get to choose, but I realise there is nothing in the rulebook to support this.

Marco,

Thank you for bringing up many great questions. We will make sure to include them in the FAQ we are preparing.

Ok. As soon as all Xs are filled or even if they were already full, you do a separate resolution for each new Alien entering the game. This means that if for example every X is full and you need to add 3 more Aliens, you can choose the same X for all 3 since each one entering will be pushing the previous one, one space ahead.

I hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks once again! I am glad my assumption was correct, or my wins to date would suddenly lose their shine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb O
msg tools
Thank goodness for that verdict! That's how I'd been playing as well, and would have been screwed otherwise. Particularly on Infected Ruins (adrenaline expansion) where one X is only 6 spaces from the entrance, while the other two X's at that spawn point can divert on a longer route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.