Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Are there PDF rules for download?

(Not living non-PDF rules, I know where those are.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Links to SMG game rules can always be found at the SMG website. For example, the living rules for Pax Rennaissance are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1csDBHPxc25aDXlmKHv13EJ6f...

If you are looking for PDF of the rules that come in the box, I don't have a link for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
arjisme wrote:
...the living rules for Pax Rennaissance are here...

OP wrote:
(Not living non-PDF rules, I know where those are.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil does not usually release pdfs of the published rules for the games he does the graphic design on. I believe he usually uses Illustrator/Photoshop and works the pages one by one which makes for large, unwieldy pdfs. (As an InDesign junkie, it was pretty painless for me to do an export).

So, I wouldn't count on seeing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Too bad. Having PDF rules to review is a requirement for buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

Would you mind unpacking that? I'm genuinely curious as to what you get from a PDF of the rules in the box that you don't get from the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

Would you mind unpacking that? I'm genuinely curious as to what you get from a PDF of the rules in the box that you don't get from the living rules.

Especially these games, with the generally easier ease-of-reading, better accuracy and better gameplay of the current living rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
JazzFish wrote:

The key things are:
+ Something that doesn't omit anything that's in the printed rules (e.g. especially figures, iconography).
+ Something that's in (or readily and reliable converted to PDF format); certainly not something in Word.
+ Something that's not crafted over with change-tracking, comments, etc. (or something that at least makes it easy to remove that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
JazzFish wrote:

The key things are:
+ Something that doesn't omit anything that's in the printed rules (e.g. especially figures, iconography).
+ Something that's in (or readily and reliable converted to PDF format); certainly not something in Word.
+ Something that's not crafted over with change-tracking, comments, etc. (or something that at least makes it easy to remove that).

The living rules will give you most of what you want. The chief thing you will not get is some of the graphics that are in the OOTB rules. Those are the only things the living rules omit (and some graphics are in there, just not all of them). On the plus side, the living rules have been updated to clarify confusing rules or even to change rules to address contradictions or playability issues.

The living rules for Pax Ren are a google doc. This can be readily converted and downloaded as PDF. Also, you can change the view mode you are using when accessing the rules. If you change that to Viewing (as opposed to Editing or Suggesting), then all comments are removed and you see the rules in current final form. The color coding for changes will still be there because that was Phil's convention for formatting, not something imposed by a change tracking workflow built into google docs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
arjisme wrote:
The living rules will give you most of what you want. The chief thing you will not get is some of the graphics that are in the OOTB rules. Those are the only things the living rules omit (and some graphics are in there, just not all of them).

Yes, it's mostly the figures; but that's more of a burden than it sounds like. Basically anything that requires lots of cross-referencing or doc switching is more work than it's worth (I'm reading mostly on a phone). So even one or two missing figures or figures is a pain.

The Pax living rules are great, but the point is to avoid having the whole thing turn into research project. (I realize that that desire really doesn't make much sense in the context of an Edlund game, so maybe this is the wrong place to apply the general policy of requiring a formatted rules PDF.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I understand better where you're coming from now. Having said that:

Aldaron wrote:
The Pax living rules are great, but the point is to avoid having the whole thing turn into research project. (I realize that that desire really doesn't make much sense in the context of an Edlund game, so maybe this is the wrong place to apply the general policy of requiring a formatted rules PDF.)

I think this is, sadly, probably accurate. Sierra Madre rules are generally comprehensive but rarely easy to follow, and having a PDF of the actual rules booklet is unlikely to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.