Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited :

From the GMT games website:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-606-talon-1000.aspx

Talon 1000 is a dependant expansion for the game Talon. Talon is a tactical game of space fleet combat between the Terran Confederation and the invading Talon Empire. It is a quick playing game with simple, but not simplistic rules that innovatively allows you to play large space fleet battles quickly. By keeping all of the information in front of you on the board, it enables you to have lots of choices and interesting decisions without the brain burn.

Why is it named Talon 1000?

The expansion is called Talon 1000 because it adds over 1000 scenarios to the game of Talon. With 4 sheets of expansion counters, most of which have ships printed on both sides, the game comes with ~130 new ships. For comparison, the base game came with a total of 54 ships. Some of the new counters are increased numbers of the current ship types, but many of them are additional ship designs with different weapon load outs and configurations. This gives a wide array of point values which makes scenario balancing easy.

The 1000 scenarios come from the tables of fleets that are built from all these new counters. Both the Talon and the Terran have 10 unique fleets at the 300 point level, the 400 point level, the 500 point level, etc. All the fleets on each table are within 1 point of the table's total with no special rules or counter changes required. There are 10 of these table of increasing points. To play a random scenario, the players can either choose a point level or roll a 10 sided die to arrive at one. Then they each randomly roll a die on that table to determine their fleet. With 100 different scenarios possible from each table, the 10 tables give the players 1000 unique scenarios.

The over 1000 scenarios part comes from all the additional things included in the expansion - base assaults, terrain, etc.

New ship types in the expansion:

Terran:

SC-

DD-

DD2

DD+

CL-

CL2

CL+

CA+

BC2

BC+

Starbase

Talon:

FF-

FF+

DD2

DD+

DD++

CL-

CL+

CA+

BC2

BC+

Starbase

All of the counters in Talon 1000 will be coated with improved lamination so that most (if not all) dry erase markers will work without residue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the ordering process is not up and running yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedi Ram wrote:
Seems like the ordering process is not up and running yet.

Nope, but at least we now know what to expect from the first expansion.

More ships is a good thing i.m.o.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Excited about all the new ships for sure but most of the (from the name) seem like heavier or lighter versions of existing ships. Sort of like having a DD / DDG or CA / CAG or FF / FFG / FFF. Was hoping for some new fully independent ship designs (from existing ones) or DYO designs.

Still in work or this pretty set now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Yeah sure, but what if I want to play to 1100? What then? Will there be a Talon 1100 in the near future?

Sounds like this critter needs to be at WBC with team competing instead of individuals. Could be one raucous good time.

I'm not a big expansion guy but I'll pick this one up. $23 is pretty doggone reasonable, and there is just a lot of game in this game!

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

By the way, throw in a big-ass paper hex map to keep the rest of us happy. It's cheap and it will aid in 1000 point battles.

For more buckazoids offer a big-ass neoprene hex map for sale separately for $30. Wings of Glory size.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Excited about all the new ships for sure but most of the (from the name) seem like heavier or lighter versions of existing ships.

That's correct. The purpose of this expansion is to give lots of tools for balancing scenarios. All of these new ships are interesting in their own right because of the different weapon load outs, but they also make it much easier to come up with balanced fleets without having to have special rules.

And it should be noted again that this expansion is meant to be inexpensive.

There is another, different expansion in the works with two new empires with different special abilities. That is not ready to be announced yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope this expansion doesn't take as long as Replicators to get printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
Well, count me in. It sounds like a perfect addition to Talon and hopefully will start printing tomorrow...errr... soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
United States
New Castle
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Damn. I was hoping we'd see the expansion with new species first. Not that I'm upset, of course, more Talon is always a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the counter material is different, will it include copies of the original ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Being the counter material is different, will it include copies of the original ships?

No, not that I know of. I think the coating in the first printing is sufficient. It works, but over time residue can build up, depending on the marker - then you have to clean it. However, in an effort to constantly approve the game, I am glad that the coating was improved. If it wasn't for the fact the GMT boxes are so awesome, I don't think we would have had any counter change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just hope this expansion doesn't take as long as Replicators to get printed.

The Replicator delay is my fault. We had a slot lined up, but I felt it wasn't ready (we had broke the Replicators in testing) and I asked for a delay. In essence we missed the print window.

For this Talon expansion, it could probably be printed tomorrow. We have been testing it for the last 4-5 months or so, but the points are really solid. All that work we did before releasing Talon has really paid off, so we are good to go.

There is only one possible decision we have left to make. One of the new ships on each side is a Battlecruiser that is armed with the major weapon of that empire (Wave Motion Gun, Fusion Cannon) with other weapons removed. We have bumped up the point cost of it, but it still might be too powerful. We are trying to fine tune that.

We also have a couple of other rules under playtest. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused why it's live on the GMT site but I can't actually add a P500 order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is a random, odd thing associated with it being in transition. It technically hasn't been announced yet - I think that happens sometime today, but someone spotted it on the website. It hasn't been made fully public yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get ready for Talon Tuesdays again 1000 Edition!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Cranor
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I'm still confused why it's live on the GMT site but I can't actually add a P500 order.

It's working now. Up to 48 orders already and climbing fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

No, not that I know of. I think the coating in the first printing is sufficient. It works, but over time residue can build up, depending on the marker - then you have to clean it. However, in an effort to constantly approve the game, I am glad that the coating was improved. If it wasn't for the fact the GMT boxes are so awesome, I don't think we would have had any counter change.

That's unfortunate. Not a gripe by any means, just disappointing that they all want match. I'm buying either way lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Purchased!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dene M
msg tools
My order is in!

Jim Krohn wrote:
There is another, different expansion in the works with two new empires with different special abilities. That is not ready to be announced yet.

Hoping for continuing tie-in with Space Empires 4X! I've just picked up SE4X with the intention to play a Terran/Talon campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iskaldur kaldur
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm... 187 orders in now. And mine is one if them. Happy day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iskaldur wrote:
Mmmm... 187 orders in now. And mine is one if them. Happy day

Mine too. Just did it today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

By the way, throw in a big-ass paper hex map to keep the rest of us happy. It's cheap and it will aid in 1000 point battles.

+10 to this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim Krohn. Question: Are the components of this expansion still usable in combination with Space Empires? I mean, there will be a SC-, a DD-, BC+ (and many more) in this Talon expansion, but is there a way to combine these ships with the Space Empires/ Talon multigame as these ships are not available in the Space Empires game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are the components of this expansion still usable in combination with Space Empires? I mean, there will be a SC-, a DD-, BC+ (and many more) in this Talon expansion, but is there a way to combine these ships with the Space Empires/ Talon multigame as these ships are not available in the Space Empires game?

Some.....or all.

We are going to lay out which ships are canonical and which are non-canonical - which is a fancy way of saying which ships we recommend for use in the Empire War and any combined SE/Talon games. Some of their costs will be different.

However, tbere will be an option to use any of the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.