Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Do Centaurs use the front rank or rear rank? They are grouped as cavalry in the expansion rules and are not given an (M) in the unit table but the miniature has a bow which might lead you to believe they should be treated as Missile troops

2) What happens to any excess hits if all of an army's front rank units are eliminated? Are these hits ignored or applied to the rear rank?

3) Do Dwarf Bear riders also have the Shield ability similar to the other dwarf units?

Finally, and this is more commentary versus a rules question, I am curious about the rules logic in terms of having the active player applying flee results. It seems as though flees will always be applied to the most powerful units to get them off the line. This seems very counter-intuitive - shouldn't the weaker units being the one's more likely to flee. Elite unites, Trolls and Bugbears seem to be the types that would be less likely to retreat in battle but the way the rule reads they are more likely to be selected. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not even looked at the expansion rules so I will only weighed in on the stuff I think I know the answer to.
Orgak wrote:
2) What happens to any excess hits if all of an army's front rank units are eliminated? Are these hits ignored or applied to the rear rank?
Ignored. In each round of combat the players target one enemy rank.

Orgak wrote:
Finally, and this is more commentary versus a rules question, I am curious about the rules logic in terms of having the active player applying flee results. It seems as though flees will always be applied to the most powerful units to get them off the line. This seems very counter-intuitive - shouldn't the weaker units being the one's more likely to flee. Elite unites, Trolls and Bugbears seem to be the types that would be less likely to retreat in battle but the way the rule reads they are more likely to be selected. Am I missing something?
I THINK the idea is that the leaders exhort their troops to target particular units, so you assign the hits you inflict. Leaders are apparently too tough to hit so they are "targeted" last.

These work for me. They keep the game simple and relatively quick to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
Hi Chris (and thanks Martin for correctly answering what you did :-)).

For the expansions we made the rules very streamlined for the Kickstarter set. To give a little context there are six expansions in the set you have (four will eventually be released into retail) and we will further refine the expansion rules before the expansions get released individually. As we do this, we will share that information with the KS backers (and here on BGG).

Current (09/17/2016) rules for:

1) Centaurs - these are cavalry MISSILE (ranged) troops. Currently Centaurs are the only cavalry missile troops. So if a player is shooting into the other player's ranged rank and the defender does not have any centaurs, then the attacker gets the cavalry bonus (+1 die) when shooting into the ranged rank.

2) Chris covered this correctly...excess hits do not carry over to other ranks.

3) Yes - the bear riders do have the shield ability.

4) Chris' answer thematically is good. We often house rule that elites cannot be retreated before regular units, but we have not made that a formal rule.

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for your answers. May end up house ruling flee rules the way you described Keith, but for now will continue to play as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
Someone (DJminis?) brought to my attention that the goblin wolf riders (one of my favorite figures) also have a bow. We designed the miniatures to look like their appropriate (melee or ranged) unit type...SO - I have to update this and say that the goblin wolf riders are also ranged cavalry (whereas dwarf bear riders and high elf cavalry are not). Sorry I missed that!

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.