Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking ahead - would sleeves be a good idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to be asking, but as Arkham Horror will be my first LCG, I have been wondering about sleeves? I mean, if you're using those investigator-specific cards the whole way through, you don't want the older cards to show up as worn, right?

However, I don't know the first thing about card sleeves. What would people recommend? Is it even worth doing?

I've tried doing a little reading, and found myself somewhat bewildered and not really any wiser. Much seemed to be about sleeves for Magic the Gathering tournaments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG always shows what sleeves are needed for all their games on the product page. For Arkham Horror LCG it's a grey square with the number 5 in it. That means you need 5 packs of their Grey sleeves (Standard Card Game size).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hiding the older, more worn cards is exactly the reason why you would sleeve the game. There are other reasons as well, but that's the main one.

Some people get just enough sleeves to have their current deck(s) sleeved. Others will sleeve every card they own. It's really up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Sleeves are never a good idea. They are an abomination.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really depends. It is really 2 types those who sleeve them and those that don't. Another factor is how much shuffling that you do in a game. Deck building games like Dominion and Star Realms it's a must.

That being said, it comes down how much you are going to play the game.

FFG sells sleeves and you can also use Ultra Pro as well. Magic the Gathering sleeves will be the size. For the mini cards there are sleeves for thoses as well. Mini American Size from FFG IIRC.

Hope this help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KMC is my go-to sleeve. I sleeve most games, but not to protect them--it just makes shuffling soooo much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCGs I like to sleeve for the same reason you mention. Unless you are very careful with how you shuffle and handle your cards, you'll notice uneven wear between older cards and newer cards.

How big of a deal it is depends on the person. Sleeves cost money and certainly add up.

For the normal sized cards I would use either Fantasy Flight Standard Card Game Sleeves if you want a thicker, sturdier sleeve or KMC Perfect Fit if you want a thinner sleeve. KMC Perfect Fit sleeves are typically used as inner sleeves, but I have found they work really well as primary sleeves for board games. I've sleeved many games with them and they provide a layer of protection and handling properties without being bulky.

For the smaller cards I would just use Fantasy Flight Mini American Sleeves

There are other companies and other sleeves out there as well. The above is just what I like, others have different preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Sleeves are always a good idea. Unsleeved cards are an abomination.

(KMC here as well, don't like the extra space on Greys)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally only sleeve when a marked card would clearly break a game. Roles in Citadels, Bang! or Resistance come to mind.

Also consider how much and how serious a player you think you might be. If you are going to be playing tournaments or with very competitive folks, then sleeving may be both encouraged and/or required.

If you are going to be more casual, then I'd say save the money and don't sleeve. Yes, older cards will be visually noticeable against newer cards - but I just don't put that much thought into my gaming. Yeah, the top card on the draw pile is clearly a new card, so I now know it may be one of 5-20 other cards (or whatever) but I'm seriously just not putting that much thought into it. (Casual vs Competitive).

Sleeves can be very useful or very wasteful, depending on your personal situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyWBurns wrote:

However, I don't know the first thing about card sleeves. What would people recommend? Is it even worth doing?

Sleeves are always a good idea, especially when you play in a pub.. ;-)
And even if you don't, the cards will show some worn in a while. I never play any card games without sleeves (and I play a lot of them)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
KMC is my go-to sleeve. I sleeve most games, but not to protect them--it just makes shuffling soooo much easier.

I wish KMC would do board game sizes too. I love these sleeves. Proposed , but the love was unrequited...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/card-sleeves

You can always find good prices here the alway run deals as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
AndyWBurns wrote:
However, I don't know the first thing about card sleeves. What would people recommend?
Since LCG cards are the "standard" size, you have a multitude of choices, some of which are thinner & cheaper, some of which are thicker and wear better. You don't have to buy FFG's sleeves, although they aren't bad. I tend to go with Ultra-Pro because they tend to be affordable in the USA. Not sure about sleeve prices in old Blighty.

AndyWBurns wrote:
Is it even worth doing?
It's an individual choice. Some people wouldn't dream of ever sleeving anything, some people wouldn't ever dream of not sleeving everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Windmilling wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

I wish KMC would do board game sizes too. I love these sleeves. Proposed , but the love was unrequited...

Arcane Tinmen sleeves (regular ones, not dragon shield type) deliver comparable results, tightness wise. Would recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until the Elder Sign actually protects cards from wear and tear, I'm a fan. I get why people don't do it, but for me the benefits outweigh any of the complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually one to sleeve everything, but in the case of Lord of the Rings LCG, it got waaaay too expensive (because I use FFG sleeves due to my dislike of the feel and flimsiness of penny sleeves). I expect Arkham LCG to eventually get to the size of LotR, which currently is well over 5,000 cards. (100+ sleeve packages @ $2.79 CSI prices)

So, I now have a set of sleeves for my current deck(s) and a set of sleeves for the current scenario ( for a total of about 200 sleeves). It does get tedious to continuously resleeve whatever scenario I am on, but my wallet and the cards thank for it. (Also keep in mind for LotR, the Nightmare decks are POD, which have a significant feel and contrast difference to the standard cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balsak40 wrote:
Really depends. It is really 2 types those who sleeve them and those that don't.

I'm the type that doesn't sleeve. I like the feel of cardstock. I find sleeved cards are harder to shuffle, tend to slide all over, and take up more storage space.

I don't care that cards wear unevenly since I don't play competitively and don't notice enough to care.

My only concern would be for a game with lots of wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer the aesthetics and functionality of un-sleeved cards, but still use sleeves to protect them from Cheetos and Funyuns stains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've purchased lord of the rings lcg one day ago (may be dragged by the AH:lcg hype... don't ask me to explain the link, please), and i found that the penny sleeves fit quite fine.

i'll sleeve all AH:lcg cards with penny sleeves. cheap and safe.

well, obviously the smaller cards will be sleeved with another sleeves, more expensive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, sleeving cards is a waste of time, waste of money, causes storage issues, and makes cards unsightly and unpleasant to handle, so I almost never sleeve cards. The only exceptions are cards that are of exceptionally poor quality (which is never the case with FFG), or if the game is a valuable, out of print collectible and the cards get shuffled a lot. I think many card sleevers just like buying crap to accessorize their games and then complain about how it doesn't all fit back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Never game bareback. One should always sleeve, it's irresponsible not to sleeve. It's safer for you and your gaming partner(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, it's absolutely worth doing.

Most CCG/LCG cards aren't like a regular deck of cards you'd play poker with - the cardstock is weaker and far easier to nick. Even thumbing through your cards while deck building can leave small yet identifiable wear on the edges (this is why some players sleeve all their cards). I don't go that far, but I sleeve all my decks. In addition, if you're letting other people play with your cards, or are playing at a bar/around drinks and food, it can save them from greasy food stains or an accidental spill (I've had that happen).

Second, as for what type of sleeves to use, you have a lot of options. My preference is for Dragon Shields as they're thicker than most sleeves, but both KMC and FFG sleeves are excellent choices, and I've heard good things about UltraPro Pro Matte as well. Note that all of these types are on the expensive side (roughly $5 per 50 sleeves). That may seem spendy, but compared to the cost of investing in this game and how long you may end up playing with cards from the Core Set, the cost of sleeving your decks is minimal. You should be able to find packs of 50 for as low as $2.

I actually plan on putting my investigator cards into hard plastic sleeves (like these) as they make a solid, non-slip surface to put tokens on and it's nearly impossible to damage the card inside. I also recommend sleeving the small investigator cards that are used as location markers for the game. You want these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
I also prefer the aesthetics and functionality of un-sleeved cards, but still use sleeves to protect them from Cheetos and Funyuns stains.

Seeing how this is a horror game, there may be other stains as well. You'll really be glad you sleeved then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Saber72 wrote:

Seeing how this is a horror game, there may be other stains as well. You'll really be glad you sleeved then.

Haha this comment was so silly I had to thumb it. And comment on it apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
It's a matter of personal preference. In my opinion, sleeving cards is a waste of time, waste of money, causes storage issues, and makes cards unsightly and unpleasant to handle, so I almost never sleeve cards. The only exceptions are cards that are of exceptionally poor quality (which is never the case with FFG), or if the game is a valuable, out of print collectible and the cards get shuffled a lot. I think many card sleevers just like buying crap to accessorize their games and then complain about how it doesn't all fit back in the box.

Your reasons for not sleeving are legitimate except for the storage issue and complaining about not fitting them back in the box. FFG's boxes are designed for the product to arrive undamaged. There is no consideration made for storage. It wouldn't matter whether you used sleeves or not, you will most likely need to come up with a storage solution. Unless of course your plan is to use rubber bands or ziplock bags. Every storage solution on the market from binders to those white card boxes take into account the size of sleeved cards. Once you add a deluxe box or a couple packs, you will have no choice but to find a bigger box to fit them in.
Not to derail, but I feel that one of the worst things about LCG packaging is that you are forced to find your own storage. At least my old chapter packs could fit on my shelf. The new clamshells, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.