Subject: Where do I start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So by happenstance I stumbled upon this game and I am definitely intrigued. Where should I start if I'm interested in getting the game? Website shows it's Out Of Stock and eBay is....a little expensive. I was reading that the base game is around $250 but I can't find anywhere to buy it. I didn't back the KS obviously, is it just a waiting game at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to have to wait for a reprint at this point. Be aware that $250 is...optimistic. They were selling on the website for $400 before they sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen a base game sell for that low in nearly a year. There have been some used copies without minis that have sold around $200 but those are few and far between on ebay. Otherwise, new (or even used) copies started at $400 and go up from there. Now you can expect to pay at least $600. That said, there's a reprint coming at some point. Probably less than a year form now, but who knows? We don't have any information about when and how they'll do the reprint, other than the fact that it's coming.

To answer the original question, all you need to get into the game is to pick up the base set. The expansion material is fantastic, but I wouldn't recommend it until you play the base game through at least once and know you're hungry for more. There's at least 50 hours of gameplay in just the core campaign, so you won't be lacking for anything. After that, if you want more, you can poke around these forums for the various "what expansions should I buy" threads.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah I was going to say, $250 seems like too good of a deal. Because there is so much there in regards to putting models together, painting, and the game I don't think spending even $400 would be that bad. Have they announced any dates yet for reprint?

*Edit, you pretty much answered my question Nathan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Welcome, in my limited experience with boardgames, I call KD the greatest boardgame I've ever played... It does have it's drawbacks and it isn't for everyone. Briefly:

Pro

- Never gets boring, the replayability is second to none. You'll sell your
other boardgames since KD becomes a hobby in itself.
- Highly thematic and exciting.
- Gorgeous miniatures and addictive gameplay.

Cons

- Expensive, expensive, damn expensive!
- Very cumbersome and fiddly.
- Lots of blind luck and dice rolling.

To answer your question, unless you're willing to shell out Ebay prices, you've no choice but to wait. The retail price of the base game was $400, I believe it was only $250 during the KS campaign.
A reprint has been confirmed, but no date is set. It's rumoured that something will be announced on Black Friday (November 25th). It seems like you'll have to wait till sometime next year, I'm afraid, but who knows when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zopaque wrote:
Oh yeah I was going to say, $250 seems like too good of a deal. Because there is so much there in regards to putting models together, painting, and the game I don't think spending even $400 would be that bad. Have they announced any dates yet for reprint?

Nope. In some GenCon videos, the creator alluded to doing a kickstarter for the reprint, but it's unclear if that's happening or they'll just do preorders on their website. We're kind of waiting on an announcement set for "sometime in September".

Personally I think we'll see something big roll out on Black Friday because that's been the time they roll out big announcements. But that's just my hunch, take it for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, thanks for the feedback all I guess I'll just wait and see what happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah- right now isn't the best time to know what's going to happen.

The core game retailed at $400. Many folks got it cheaper on Kickstarter, because Adam Poots didn't know that he was going to upgrade the contents quite so much.

If you aren't familiar with miniatures modeling and painting, you should probably get in some practice before tackling KDM. Minis from Wyrd Miniatures tend to be similar to KD plastics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
Welcome, in my limited experience with boardgames, I call KD the greatest boardgame I've ever played... It does have it's drawbacks and it isn't for everyone. Briefly:

Pro

- Never gets boring, the replayability is second to none. You'll sell your
other boardgames since KD becomes a hobby in itself.
- Highly thematic and exciting.
- Gorgeous miniatures and addictive gameplay.

Cons

- Expensive, expensive, damn expensive!
- Very cumbersome and fiddly.
- Lots of blind luck and dice rolling.

To answer your question, unless you're willing to shell out Ebay prices, you've no choice but to wait. The retail price of the base game was $400, I believe it was only $250 during the KS campaign.
A reprint has been confirmed, but no date is set. It's rumoured that something will be announced on Black Friday (November 25th). It seems like you'll have to wait till sometime next year, I'm afraid, but who knows when.

100% with the first part (best.game.ever). In my case, It has already provided the best $/hour ratio of my entire (humble) collection. I don't find it that cumbersome though (I like heavy games XD). And luck is a major factor in the game, though you can try to put the odds to your favour many times.

Waiting for the reprint is your best bet atm. Ebay prices are insane, and I wouldn't expect that the sale price of the new edition be too far away from the latest $400 retail price on the shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
In response to some of the other comments, I emailed them a few days ago about something and threw in a request at more reprint information. I was told Adam will be detailing the reprint in the upcoming September update. So hopefully we don't have long now to find out when us unfortunate souls get a chance to buy this amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more quick note: the reprint will be v1.4 and contain some game fixes to the version that is currently in circulation (the current version is 1.3.something). They will be making an upgrade package available when the reprint happens, but buying now will mean you'll be paying more and you'll probably want to shell out for the upgrade pack later... so even more money there. I don't think it'll be that expensive (it's a rulebook and ~10 or so cards? And at least one reworked settlement location) but it's an additional cost that you won't have to shell out for if you wait.

I think $250 was an early pre-order price (the base game was $100 when the kickstarter launched, I got in on a later preorder for $275? 285?). Full MSRP as people have noted is $400 (with free shipping in the US, for that matter). It's anybody's guess whether he'll be discounting a pre-order or just making the reprint available for $400 right out of the gates. AFAIK he hasn't even decided if he wants to do another kickstarter or just go straight to selling preorders through his store.

If you can wait, I'd wait. He has confirmed he's going to be doing a reprint (of the core set and all expansions). While there's always a risk he won't follow through, he's been reliable enough to date that I'd probably skip ebay unless you managed to find a really good deal.

EDIT - if you're interested, you should subscribe to his newsletter whether you choose to wait or not. It's a good source of info on all things KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
basketball_curry wrote:
In response to some of the other comments, I emailed them a few days ago about something and threw in a request at more reprint information. I was told Adam will be detailing the reprint in the upcoming September update. So hopefully we don't have long now to find out when us unfortunate souls get a chance to buy this amazing game.

"Look for our September announcement due out sometime mid-October."

fastlane wrote:
if you're interested, you should subscribe to his newsletter whether you choose to wait or not. It's a good source of info on all things KDM.

This! With the exceptions of tidbits dropped in interviews the occasionally leaked one-on-one conversation, the newsletter push out is how Kingdom Death and Mr. Poots communicates with the fan base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
Yeah- right now isn't the best time to know what's going to happen.

The core game retailed at $400. Many folks got it cheaper on Kickstarter, because Adam Poots didn't know that he was going to upgrade the contents quite so much.

If you aren't familiar with miniatures modeling and painting, you should probably get in some practice before tackling KDM. Minis from Wyrd Miniatures tend to be similar to KD plastics.

You guys rock, this is all great info. As for painting miniatures I'm familiar with it. I own and play both Warmachine and Infinity and love painting them. That's why I'm not too concerned about the price because getting a pretty decent war gaming army tends to add up. My biggest concern is just replay value. With war games, every game is different which is why the money doesn't tend to matter. I just don't want to drop $400+ bucks and not play it much...that doesn't seem to be the case though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
There are streams of live plays on twitch and some lantern years played on YouTube: go search them, you will have an idea of you like the game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I blind bought this at the $400 market rate. Best investment ever. I've gotten soooo many hours out of this game. I've had gaming weekends where my friends and I try to do an entire campaign from year 0-25 in one weekend. Haven't tried that with any other game. Its captured that same type of obsession you get with computer games (Diablo 2 anyone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
It has just been confirmed the game will be coming to kickstarter in november to fund the reprint. Hopefully it will be a little cheaper than retail or contain some other goodies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, open your wallet and dump out all the money contained within. Then light it on fire. Next, invite a good friend over while you procure a 10-sided dice. Begin rolling the dice; each time you roll a 1, have your friend punch you in the stomach as hard as possible. These two activities should get you warmed up for the Kingdom Death experience.

I'm just kidding. At this point you should just wait for the next Kickstarter; it's scheduled for Nov. 25th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:

I'm just kidding. At this point you should just wait for the next Kickstarter; it's scheduled for Nov. 25th.

Yep, 2nd kickstarter is coming.

We know that the new edition of the game will have a few things altered from current (not a lot, and we know for sure of at least two of them).

I'm really hoping that there's an "upgrade my 1st ed" pledge that can just get me the new components (especially if there's a new hunt event table).

I'm honestly wondering if thee won't be a new core box with a different set of monsters and box. I've heard rumours to that effect, and we're certainly due to see a Black Knight, Frogdog and Kitsune show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.