Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bret Hekking
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many firefights use overlay R2 (part of the river). Hex R2-10 is where the mouth of the river meets the ocean, and the rules (p. 5) list hex R2-10 as an example of 'Open Water'. However, the hex graphic looks more like a puddle, and, to me, the center dot sure looks like Open terrain.

How have people played this hex - as Open Water? Surf? River? It always confuses me when I look at it during a game. If it's truly 'Open Water', I'm inclined to fill it in with a blue marker.

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is the rule book example is a typo. R2-10 is clearly not open water and its not river. According to the general rules, the terrain is determined by the central dot, which in this case lies over Open Terrain, so that's what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it as open terrain as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also playing it as open terrain, as the center dot looks to be in open terrain.

Kind of weird that there is a big river flowing to the ocean that suddenly disappears just before it reaches it....... I guess they are trying to say that the mouth is wide enough and disperses enough that the ground is basically just open instead of river?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Luksich
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more that the river doesn't reach the ocean during low tide, and that the open space is a wide sandbar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hekking
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a little searching and found this photo, which, to me, seems to bolster the open terrain idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DELTA2468 wrote:
I think it is more that the river doesn't reach the ocean during low tide, and that the open space is a wide sandbar.

That is odd...... but then again I live in basically a desert so I know nothing about rivers reaching oceans.

The picture above makes it look like a very tiny spit to run across, but then again they do show the hex as half full of water and just put the dot on the open to signify you COULD run across unimpeded. It all makes sense to me now I suppose .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hekking
United States
Acton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The photos in the Images section here on BGG also show the river terminating before the sea, so I'll assume it's Open terrain. Weird, but it's enough evidence for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
The Ilu about the time of the battle, one can see a very distinctive sand bar at the rivers terminus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steve paschal wrote:
The Ilu about the time of the battle, one can see a very distinctive sand bar at the rivers terminus.

Wow, that is very cool Steve. Was not even aware rivers did that sort of thing .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Philly burbs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Split the difference - play it as 'surf'?
We really ought to get an official ruling from Academy Games - this one hex is vital in a few of the firefights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is pretty plain that it is open terrain. I know the art on the board makes it look confusing, but as Lewis points out, the rules state that the central dot determines a hex's terrain type and it is definitely on open terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
We really ought to get an official ruling from Academy Games - this one hex is vital in a few of the firefights

Still no official answer. Will PM Mr. Eikert I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
navigator37 wrote:

Still no official answer. Will PM Mr. Eikert I guess...

I just got this PM from Uwe Eikert:
"Hello. Sorry for not seeing this question.
This is a beach hex, since it simulates the sand bank at the mouth of the river. Tanks and men traversed it without issue, other than MG fire!"

Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.