Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I were watching an episode of House last night, and it turned out that the patient had an allergic reaction to tonic water.
"Aha!", I exclaimed.
"WTF?", she replied.

I was shocked that she didn't know; she maintains that only trivia savants, and people who live in Britain, would know that.

Poll
Without having to "Google" it, do you know what "ingredient" manufacturers add to tonic water?
  I grew up (or mostly lived) in the USA or Mexico I grew up (or mostly lived) in the U.K. I grew up (or mostly lived) in an originally British commonwealth country. I grew up (or mostly lived) in another country.
Yes, I know
No, I don't know
      68 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Answer, so you don't have to Google it:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quinine. Which was extracted from a tree bark, and discovered to be a medication to prevent and treat malaria.

So why not add it to the water that gets mixed into the gin, that the British sailors are all drinking anyway? Presto!-- Tonic Water

From wikipedia:
Common side effects include headache, ringing in the ears, trouble seeing, and sweating. More severe side effects include deafness, low blood platelets, and an irregular heartbeat. Use can make one more prone to sunburn.
While it is unclear if use during pregnancy causes harm to the baby, use to treat malaria during pregnancy is still recommended.
How it works is not entirely clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that but had forgotten it. Thankfully your poll allowed me to select both "Yes, I know" AND "No, I don't know".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I knew that but had forgotten it. Thankfully your poll allowed me to select both "Yes, I know" AND "No, I don't know".
LOL. I knew it but talked myself out of it (well not quite I picked yes but expected to be wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern tonic water generally contains very little quinine, probably not enough to be medically useful.

So if you are visiting a malaria-infested swamp, consult a doctor first, don't just get hammered on gin and tonics and hope for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Modern tonic water generally contains very little quinine, probably not enough to be medically useful.

So if you are visiting a malaria-infested swamp, consult a doctor first, don't just get hammered on gin and tonics and hope for the best.

Exactly. laugh

It isn't mentioned on the list of ingredients of modern beverages anywhere.
Apparently it is there for the distinctive bitterness that some people now enjoy. I get it, though-- I like bitter beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Exactly. :laugh:

Apparently it is there for the distinctive bitterness that some people now enjoy. I get it, though-- I like bitter beer.
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/drinks/schweppes-mixers/schweppes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinine = gulp
Juniper Berries = gulp

G&T?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'd rather lick the sweat from a dead mans balls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Exactly. laugh

We buy tonic water at the local mega-mart monthly, quinine is listed prominently on the label.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galstaff wrote:
MABBY wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Exactly. laugh

We buy tonic water at the local mega-mart monthly, quinine is listed prominently on the label.

Yes, any tonic water I've checked listed it. Maybe it's a per-country thing? Maybe either Canada lets you skip it on the ingredients list when you only add a little, or maybe in the US tonic is required to have some quinine to get the name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only knew because I'm a huge gin fan. The ONLY reason I'd ever water down a martini is to fight off a disease like malaria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only Tonic I generally care about:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Canadia, land of igloos, and yes I knew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
Only knew because I'm a huge gin fan. The ONLY reason I'd ever water down a martini is to fight off a disease like malaria.

Tonic in a martini? yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I kid I lived in the tropics and had to take quinine tablets.

Initially my mother crushed the tablets up and put them in peanut butter to try and disguise the taste.

Yeah..... that didn't work so well.

I'll have to ask, but at one point the advice changed from taking them all year round to only taking them in the wet season. It's a sketchy memory, but I believe there had been deaths related somehow to the quinine intake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I'm from the U.S., and I was pretty sure it was iodine, to combat Beriberi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
But did you know that tonic water glows pale blue when exposed to UV light? Mabby's Mystery Ingredient fluoresces when exposed to UV. Some bars have UV lamps simply to make bottles of tonic look cool.

[i]Bitter Lemon{/i] Tonic Water also contains M.M.I. - and is simply fantastic on hot days. Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it was Laudanum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.