United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea if the new edition Rulebook is available to download yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, I just found the old thread asking the same question: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1632494/new-rule-book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for including the link here for anyone looking and clicking on your thread too... you could just delete the thread too though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
Yeah, but if he deletes the thread, he doesn't get credit for posting things, does he?

(Like mindlessly replying to this to get yet another tic on the ol' BGG posting numbers. It's all about the numbers, isn't it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
Thanks for including the link here for anyone looking and clicking on your thread too... you could just delete the thread too though!

Well, he could delete the original post, but then the rest of us look like idiots responding to nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
fortheloveofdice wrote:

Well, he could delete the original post, but then the rest of us look like idiots responding to nothing.

Let's be honest - half the time the rest of us look like idiots either way. I know *I* DO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis T
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is so useful as the hole in the donuts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just came online:

http://portalgames.pl/new_en/article-robinson-crusoe-changes...

http://portalgames.pl/files/rules/robinson_crusoe_rulebook.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the Treasure Island (Junior) scenario tonight with the Z-Man edition and the new rulebook just posted.

120 minutes, lost terribly (2/20 gold; got the letter, though).

I *think* the new rulebook is better, but clocking in at 40 pages, it still took awhile to find answers. Spent a lot of time flipping back and forth to different places an action/stage was mentioned. Ended up going back to the Z-Man rulebook to find answers that we couldn't find elsewhere on a couple of occasions...still had to make several decisions on our own due to lack of clarification in the rulebook.

Basically, I think the new rulebook is better. It's clear that a lot of effort has been put into the rulebook to make it easier to use. But FOR ME, the gameplay experience is still rough. I know that the new edition's cards have been edited, but these have never been that big of a point of contention for me. So I don't think upgrading will help me with my issues with the game.

The fact that the clarified rulebook is so crazy long and the fact that, with it, we still had to stop the game at least twice per round to decipher gameplay mechanisms and rules, suggests to me that this game is just at a level of complexity that is well beyond what my wife and I are looking for.

I hope others have better luck.

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day, though! ARRR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Played the Treasure Island (Junior) scenario tonight with the Z-Man edition and the new rulebook just posted.

I *think* the new rulebook is better, but clocking in at 40 pages, it still took awhile to find answers. Spent a lot of time flipping back and forth to different places an action/stage was mentioned. Ended up going back to the Z-Man rulebook to find answers that we couldn't find elsewhere on a couple of occasions...still had to make several decisions on our own due to lack of clarification in the rulebook.

You should find what you need by aiming the appropriate section through the content on page 1.
I recommend you also to play with the page 38 close to the board.

Quote:
The fact that the clarified rulebook is so crazy long and the fact that, with it, we still had to stop the game at least twice per round to decipher gameplay mechanisms and rules, suggests to me that this game is just at a level of complexity that is well beyond what my wife and I are looking for.

It is indeed a very fiddly game, that's why my recommendation would be to read the (new) rulebook at least twice (even 3 times) before playing.

Have you started with Castaways scenario ? Treasure Island is really different mechanics and will not help you to have an easy game understanding nor a good game flow, especially if you have not played "classic" scenarios (such as Castaways) before

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips!

As it turns out, we've played castaways 5 or 6 times but have not had success. Besides treasure island last night, that's the only scenario we've tried.

Last night I did not pre-read the new rulebook since I've read the z-man version so many times. And yeah, using the table of contents is always a good idea, but it was difficult to utilize on the pdf on a laptop djing play. Certainly people who buy the new version will have a better time of that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:

Basically, I think the new rulebook is better. It's clear that a lot of effort has been put into the rulebook to make it easier to use. But FOR ME, the gameplay experience is still rough. I know that the new edition's cards have been edited, but these have never been that big of a point of contention for me. So I don't think upgrading will help me with my issues with the game.

I hope others have better luck.

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day, though! ARRR!

Do you remember any of the cases where you only found answers in the Z-Man rulebook? I'm curious if it's just hard to search for or actually missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Do you remember any of the cases where you only found answers in the Z-Man rulebook? I'm curious if it's just hard to search for or actually missing.

I figured that would get asked. I should have taken notes during play, but I didn't. I know we were looking for descriptions of how some of the inventions worked (Cure, I think) but couldn't find it. We had trouble figuring out what to do with mystery cards and tiki symbols too.

I also remember having trouble deciphering how a few things from the Treasure Island scenario worked (hunting deck / hunting action and weapon level; weather phase; whether we could do anything to get more than the 2 gold we had at the end of the game, etc.). We looked in vain in the main rules for general rulings that we could use to apply to the specific scenario, but we had trouble finding anything to help us interpret the scenario rules.

Honestly, I think we just struggled with the length of the manual. We hoped to use it as a way to clarify questions we had from our experience using the z-man rulebook, but I believe that this new manual is one that you have to read from start to finish a couple of times before you play. I didn't have luck using it as a consultable reference resource on first experience, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I figured that would get asked. I should have taken notes during play, but I didn't. I know we were looking for descriptions of how some of the inventions worked (Cure, I think) but couldn't find it. We had trouble figuring out what to do with mystery cards and tiki symbols too.

I also remember having trouble deciphering how a few things from the Treasure Island scenario worked (hunting deck / hunting action and weapon level; weather phase; whether we could do anything to get more than the 2 gold we had at the end of the game, etc.). We looked in vain in the main rules for general rulings that we could use to apply to the specific scenario, but we had trouble finding anything to help us interpret the scenario rules.

Honestly, I think we just struggled with the length of the manual. We hoped to use it as a way to clarify questions we had from our experience using the z-man rulebook, but I believe that this new manual is one that you have to read from start to finish a couple of times before you play. I didn't have luck using it as a consultable reference resource on first experience, at least.

Thanks for trying to remember! I suspect the "Cure" card was renamed "Medicine". Page 35 of the new rules has brief text about it ("Some card effects refer to this Item - it is often necessary tp revent negative consequences. It does not get used up.")

It might be tough using Ctrl-F on the rules for cards that got renamed, but I don't know if any symbols were changed.

I don't know about the other issues you mention though, specifically about Treasure Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I don't know about the other issues you mention though, specifically about Treasure Island.

Z-Man edition doesn't HAVE the Treasure Island scenario. This must have been a fan-made one.

I Have the Z-man edition. I found you really need to read it from front to back in order of actions to get the rules. And look in the little text boxes for some. Though I'll admit I had to go to the FAQ for some answers. And STILL don't have answers to some of the things. Like the CURE (amongst others) being able to be used more than once a night. I mean I KNOW what the answer is (NO!) but where that's anywhere in the rulebook is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Clarification: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island – Treasure Island Junior is an official scenario released as a PNP and now available from the Portal store. It isn't reasonable to expect any Robinson Crusoe rulebook to mention anything about it. We were just trying to use the game's framework/rulebook to interpret some of the mechanics in an abstract way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Z-Man edition doesn't HAVE the Treasure Island scenario. This must have been a fan-made one.

I Have the Z-man edition. I found you really need to read it from front to back in order of actions to get the rules. And look in the little text boxes for some. Though I'll admit I had to go to the FAQ for some answers. And STILL don't have answers to some of the things. Like the CURE (amongst others) being able to be used more than once a night. I mean I KNOW what the answer is (NO!) but where that's anywhere in the rulebook is beyond me.

Why can't the cure be "used" more than once a night? Is it not the same as the Medicine mentioned in the new book, where it says it's just required by some cards?

Or are you talking about a non-invention cure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Lhowser wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Why can't the cure be "used" more than once a night? Is it not the same as the Medicine mentioned in the new book, where it says it's just required by some cards?

Or are you talking about a non-invention cure?

I dont get what youre talking about here. Cure (from previous rulebook) = Medicine (from new rulebook), this is just a changed name, but it doesn't change anything about its use.
It doesnt require to be used at night because it cannot "cure" anything as it doesnt get used up. It is just a "passive" item that prevents any bad consequences if mentioned on a card.

See new rulebook :
Medicine (Invention)
Some card effects refer to this Item - it is often necessary to prevent negative consequences. It does not get used up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
I dont get what youre talking about here. Cure (from previous rulebook) = Medicine (from new rulebook), this is just a changed name, but it doesn't change anything about its use.
It doesnt require to be used at night because it cannot "cure" anything as it doesnt get used up. It is just a "passive" item that prevents any bad consequences if mentioned on a card.

See new rulebook :
Medicine (Invention)
Some card effects refer to this Item - it is often necessary to prevent negative consequences. It does not get used up.

That's what I thought too, but Lhowser mentioned using it at night, so I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
La_Gofr wrote:

See new rulebook :
Medicine (Invention)

That's what I thought too, but Lhowser mentioned using it at night, so I'm confused.

Sorry, guys I was speaking off the cuff. I know there are some specific things that can only be used once, at night, that I don't remember seeing in the rulebook, that I had to discover through the FAQ. ... maybe it's the POT I was thinking of...

Sorry to cause confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Quick Clarification: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island – Treasure Island Junior is an official scenario released as a PNP and now available from the Portal store. It isn't reasonable to expect any Robinson Crusoe rulebook to mention anything about it. We were just trying to use the game's framework/rulebook to interpret some of the mechanics in an abstract way.

Oh, right. Ok. This was one I actually DIDN'T print out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
La_Gofr wrote:

See new rulebook :
Medicine (Invention)

Sorry, guys I was speaking off the cuff. I know there are some specific things that can only be used once, at night, that I don't remember seeing in the rulebook, that I had to discover through the FAQ. ... maybe it's the POT I was thinking of...

Sorry to cause confusion.

All good. If it's the Pot, that's also good, since the new rulebook Appendix says "Pot (Invention) Once per Night Phase, you can spend 1 food to heal 1 wound on 1 character."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.