Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and it was awesome! So I ordered the "all-in-one" kickstarter package so we just jumped in last Saturday and played all 3 games for the first time. We had four players with none of us having played any of the games before, and we had a blast!

The first game (Shipwrights) I feel took the longest for our group to "get" and the last game was the easiest. Throughout the first two games you would keep hearing one of us just randomly say out loud, " Damnit, I screwed up!" which I think is awesome. We knew what we had to do but as we played we were starting to figure out how we SHOULD have played which I think is good game design.

With that said, my one gripe about the Runsaga as a whole is that I feel Explorers is WAY too short of a game. By the time we started to get going with our animal collections / building outposts / whatever, the game just ended. I know that Shem talked about having an idea for an expansion and that is why with the last kickstarter they didn't include an "all in one" box to put everything in and I hope that expansion is for Explorers to lengthen the game.

I understand the thought process of keeping the game lighter then Raiders to end the Runesaga, and the mechanics play just fine, I just wish there were more hex tiles or something else that happens for a bit after all the tiles have been placed.

Either way, it was a really fun experience and I feel that it will hit the table more often then not. We might play Shipwrights or Raiders on its own but I think most likely we will just play all 3 in the same sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like you had a great time! I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) - I ordered all three (four) games through Kickstarter without having played any of them before, and we are very excited to try out the whole Runesaga. Do you remember how long it took you to play through all the games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We took a break after the first game to eat but I want to say actual game time was between 3-4 hours from opening the box and starting to explain the "campaign" to packing it back up after the 3rd game. I do want to say that since you change up the games twice, it didn't feel like it was a really long time and after we were all done with explorers, our group didn't feel drained in the slightest.

It was even close at the end (we ended up with a final rune score of 5, 4, 4, 3). The end of explorers amounted to two people screaming to not let a 3rd player get the 3rd piggy! (One bonus rune is to deliver 3 of the same animal). There was a mad dash at the end by two other players to try and block the 3rd / steal that last piggy so he couldn't get the rune and thus get the bonus 3 symbol rune as well. Was really fun.

Other good moments was in raiders when someone would place or take a worker and the person to their left would shout, "COME ON" or something similar. When you read the rule book you see so many spots on the board and the fact that you also remove guys to take an action, that you think there won't be much of the typical "I took the action you wanted too" but there is. Most time you wanted to do something with the first action or only the 2nd but now you can't and that messes up your plans.

Anyway, I am one of those people who tries to put everything in one box so I bagged everything up and put the pieces from all of the games into 2 of the boxes and tossed the inserts / rest. I also tossed unnecessary things like the colored square cardboard reminders from the runesaga box (we know 2nd place is just 3vp, 5vp, 5vp and don't need to take that space up on the table), the artwork squares, the 5th player items for shipwrights as the next two games only play 4, etc.

All the cardboard and rule books fit into one box and then we put the rest of the components in the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.