Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yannick Martin
Canada
Saint-Lin-Laurentides
Québec
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I was reading the rules yesterday and I read something that tick something in my mind about when to augment the threat on the threat meter.

See the printcreen from the rule book below;

What trigger this interrogation in my mind is "After a roll's effect are applied, threat automatically increases by one,....."

According to the wording and my understanding of it, this mean the threat do not goes up at EACH and every roll, but only when there is an applicable effect to this roll.

For example, let say that I am attempting to do a research task that need 2 success with 2 scientist. On my first roll (threat level at "1"), if I don't roll any success on my 2 blue dies and a 4 on the red dice, this would mean that the threat stay at 1, since this roll do not trigger any effect.

I am pretty sure this is the case, according to the wording. This would mean the threat do not goes up at each and every roll, which would change a lot of thing in the game's challenge.

What's your thoughs about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You're reading way too much into it. It just means "after this is done".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time you roll, you do any effect as applicable, then you *always* raise Threat.

You do not raise Threat if do something that does not trigger a roll (for instance, use an asset card to deal damage to an alien and killing it without rolling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Martin
Canada
Saint-Lin-Laurentides
Québec
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
You're reading way too much into it. It just means "after this is done".

Well, I don't know. It is possible. As you can read, english is not my native language, so my interpretation can be a bit sketchy at times.

But at the same time, one could read it exactly how I interpret it, it make sense. Plus, why use this wording if this mean "after every roll"? Why don't just putting it "Threat increases by one automatically after every roll."? Like this, no ambiguity.

Still, I am curious to get more thoughs about it. Could add a nice twist to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're basically rolling a fixed chance (33% per X-com die) multiple times against an increasing 12,5%. When you succeed, the task is done in all cases but the squad leader's and when you fail, bye bye threat level the whole task is in jeopardy.

The roll's effects can be success, failure, tie (no success on Xcom dice and no failure on alien roll die). Those are the "effects" the rule mentions... but just as you enter the game philosophy you do understand immediately what the threat level's all about. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference between "after every roll" and "after effects are applied" is clarity. The game wants you to roll, determine successes, apply the results, AND THEN increase the threat level.

The game is worded like this (probably) because of additional dice and Rerolls. Under your version, I would roll 3 dice increase threat then increase the threat again after I rerolled my dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nogen wrote:
What trigger this interrogation in my mind is "After a roll's effect are applied, threat automatically increases by one,....."

According to the wording and my understanding of it, this mean the threat do not goes up at EACH and every roll, but only when there is an applicable effect to this roll.

The effects of 8-- are that nothing happens. After doing that (which doesn't take long) you increase threat automatically.

The timing goes something like:

1) (Base/Global Defense only): Choose Task.
2) (Squad Leader only): Assign soldiers.
3) Work out how many dice to roll.
4) Apply card effects (additional dice, automatic successes, threat increases/decreases, etc)
5) Roll dice.
6) Apply card effects (rerolls, automatic successes. NOT threat decreases)
7) Apply any dice effects (possibly triggering Revive, Defense Matrix, UFO Flight, or various crisis or enemy effects)
8) Increase threat.
9) Goto 1.

The point of the wording is to put the threat increase at #8 rather than earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.