Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how in Power Grid, you are trying to predict how the future of the game is going to go. Will trash or oil be cheaper for me in the long run? Do I need to buy a power plant now? If I don't build to that city, will someone build there before me?

Unfortunelty, I am not a huge fan of standard "go around the table" auctions (I much prefer say Stockplile or Cyclade's auctions), so Power Grid will never be my favorite.

Any suggestions on other games that require you to try to predict what will be the best course of action without perfect knowledge. Acquire is another one that comes to mind in this camp, as you are trying to predict what will be the big chain at the end of the game.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble understanding what you are after...

Because Camel Up has you try to guess who will win the race and the legs without having perfect knowledge. The game's all about that.

If you want a game about economic speculation... maybe start here?:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2013/commodity-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Wealth of Nations? The market fluctuates based on who sells to the market, and while you know how it will fluctuate, you don't really have a lot of control over how much anyone sells to affect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of confused as to what you are after too since so many games require that you guess about future actions of players. Anyhow, when I read 'prospecting' the first thing that came to my mind was Tikal. I wasn't aware of the new version/expansion (Tikal II: The Lost Temple) from 2010 so can't speak to that one but in the original game you are guessing as to whether or not you should try to excavate a temple before someone else does, among other things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullfrog Goldfield

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try to be more clear:

I was thinking about this after playing Le Havre, a game that I like. In Le Havre, I know from the beginning the value of each thing and all of the buildings that will be coming out and in what order, except for the special buildings, but I could know them too. In this case, you are trying to guess what your opponents will do, but you know more or less how the game is going to go.

In Acquire, you will only win if you can correctly predict which chain will be the mega-chain in the end. In Power Grid, you have to look at the situation and try to predict how the markets are going to go.

What I am looking for are games where winning is not just by having a good strategy, but being able to correctly predict how the game will unfold based on limited information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am being serious when I suggest Prospectus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.