Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: New to Pathfinder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which core set should I start with? The game seems immense? Where do I even get started? Please help.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings CommanderMcG and welcome aboard!

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (PACG) has three core sets - Rise of the Runelords, Skull & Shackles, and Wrath of the Righteous - that are independent of one another; and by independent I mean that characters don't carry over from one game to the next. The card games share the story of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game modules they're based on and are called Adventure Paths.

The base set for each Adventure Path contains some introductory scenarios and the first Adventure Deck (AD1). You'll need to buy Adventure Decks 2-6 to complete the entire Adventure Path. There's also an optional Character Add-On deck for each adventure path that expands the game from 4 players to 6 players and provides additional heroes and cards for the game.

PACG also offers something called CLASS DECKS. These are not necessary to play the game. They provide alternate character builds for the Pathfinder hero archetypes - fighters, sorcerers, rogues, etc - and they're only required for Paizo's store sponsored Pathfinder Adventure Card Guild play; where the store provides the adventure path but the players bring their own characters to play the game.

As far as sets go, the least difficult is Rise of the Runelords and the most difficult is Wrath of the Righteous in terms of winning the game. Each game introduces a few changes to the core gameplay and since Rise of the Runelords came first, it's probably the easiest to learn.

You'll probably want to check out these awesome, free accessories to enhance your game experience:

Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide

Skull & Shackles Adventure Guide

Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Guide

PACG Iconic Hero Backstories

PACG Blessing Deck Deities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar question was asked (and answered) recently: Luxury problem..

Unlike some LCGs (Living Card Games), with Pathfinder each adventure path stands alone. If you get the Rise of the Runelords base set, you'll pretty much need to get its associated adventure boxes 2-5. The character add-on is optional. If you start with Skull & Shackles, you'll need those adventures 2-5. There is no direct relationship between RotR and S&S.

The class decks can work with different base sets, but they are entirely optional. Probably best to ignore them until you know you like the system, and want more variety.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add to Kevin that you should buy whatever's on sale and if you like the theme. If you like one, you'll like 'em all. Also, try the app!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
If you like one, you'll like 'em all.

Erm. That's pretty much exactly the opposite of our experience. Details are in the post I linked to earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Erm. That's pretty much exactly the opposite of our experience. Details are in the post I linked to earlier.

You and my pocketbook can agree to disagree. The Skull and Shackles base set was something like $24 on sale several months ago, and Paizo had a 50% off sale of its PACG expansions. As a former roleplayer who's played the Pathfinder RPG a few times, I don't find the theme of the PACG games justifying paying more money when another PACG item is on sale. If you or anybody else wants to pay more money, go ahead. Keeps Paizo in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
As a former roleplayer who's played the Pathfinder RPG a few times, I don't find the theme of the PACG games justifying paying more money when another PACG item is on sale.

To be very clear, we were perfectly fine with the S&S theme (or the theme of any of the others). We didn't enjoy the gameplay of S&S, despite enjoying RotR enough to have gone through 3 full campaigns.

But either way, I'm fine agreeing to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.