10 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Cardassian Occupation rule alternate reading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
"Cardassian controlled systems only generate production if there are Cardassian controlled ships in orbit."

Let's use a planet with 1 Production (1P), 1 Research (1R), and 1 Culture (1C).

I assumed that the rule meant that a planet would still generate 1R and 1C but would only generate 1P as long as a ship was in orbit. (I.e. They generate everything else, but you only gain production if your ship is in orbit).

But upon rereading I realized that it could be interpreted differently. A planet the generates 1P, 1R, and 1C will only generate 3P as long as you have a ship in orbit. (I.e. The ship forces everyone to work exclusively on production).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I think labor camps solves this question. "...Culture nodes also generate 1 production, if you have at least 1 ship in orbit."

This would mean the first version is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. It would be clearer if it read, "Cardassian controlled systems generate production only if there are Cardassian ships in orbit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
But upon rereading I realized that it could be interpreted differently. A planet the generates 1P, 1R, and 1C will only generate 3P as long as you have a ship in orbit. (I.e. The ship forces everyone to work exclusively on production).

If we were to interpret the rule that way (and I think we're all in agreement that that isn't how it works), then it wouldn't grant research and culture nodes the ability to generate production. The planet in your example would only produce 1P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well they could but you wouldn't be allowed to put ships in orbit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
John1701 wrote:

If we were to interpret the rule that way (and I think we're all in agreement that that isn't how it works), then it wouldn't grant research and culture nodes the ability to generate production. The planet in your example would only produce 1P.

Yeah, and that would severely limit them even more, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it require more than one Cardassian controlled ship in orbit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:

Just 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:

that is situational, 1 ship is enough to get the production, but you may need more ships if you suspect them to have to defend against small incursions.

if some players go after you, they could possibly launch an attack against these ships in their turn which could severely cripple your production as you cant restore control at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. The rule said "ships" so I wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.