$30.00
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ok I have the "Deluxe Edition" and the game looks beautiful (as did the original) the figures have real table presence (especially once painted), the larger board is good as it includes spaces for the cross road expansion and makes it feel like an epic journey, the metal coins look and feel great and the back ground music all add to the experience. Everyone I have played this with has loved the game but....

*The card stock is below what I would expect for a "deluxe" version - especially for the panorama cards which id say definitely need sleeving (not something I would normally do or expect I would have to for a "deluxe version")

*due to using the same insert designed for the collectors edition, I now have 3 empty slots where "kick starter exclusive" figures should fit and a cheap quality cardboard box where a 2nd tray of 16 kickstarter only figures should be. This all makes the box insert look poorly designed or a few people have commented "you've lost a few figures" when I've been setting up. Does that issue sound "deluxe"?

* the decision to not include the simple 4 card promo (4 new encounters (2012)that predates the kickstarter but was included in the collectors edition as standard. I have contacted funforge about buying these to be told "they were released many years ago as a promo and we no longer have any left". At no point did they acknowledge these must surely have been reprinted for the collectors edition and why did they chose to drop these from the "deluxe" edition? (Been waiting 7 days for an answer from them so though people on the geek might be able to tell me instead?)

I fully understand kickstarter offers "more bang for your buck" than retail but if like me, you would rather support your FLGS (and so expect a higher price tag/a few lesser bits) I don't expect companies to just rehash any bits and pieces left over to make up their retail version of a game; especially when sold as a "Deluxe Edition". I know those who backed on kickstarter have also had issues with this project so I'm sure I'm not alone in my disappointment with fun forge.

The game is great, it has been a hit with everyone I have played it with and is a real experience - especially when the figures are painted and the back ground track is on ....but the production choices made by fun forge really take the shine off this a little for me and I won't be buying another game produced by them because of it....so do people think I'm being harsh in my assessment of their production choices as be good to hear your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iris Malis
msg tools
I agree with some of your points. I just recently found out about the game and went to go buy the deluxe version and realized after opening the box why I had some empty spaces and such. Sucks that I didn't know about it while it was on kickstarter.

The quality of the panorama cards is complete shit. I immediately sleeved all my cards. I was surprised that they weren't "linen", more like a cheap cardboard. That goes for all the cards. Terrible quality for what you're getting.

I also received doubles of some cards from the Crossroads expansion that was included, and some cards were missing. The card count was right, but the cards were wrong. I contacted Passport games and they're sending me replacements for free so there's that.

Again, because I didn't know this game was on Kickstarted before I discovered it, I understand why some stuff is not there, but it's still disappointing to be missing stuff in something called Deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sort of glad I'm not the only one feeling let down with the final quality of the production. Good that Passport games are sorting replacement cards but like you I've sleeved the lot and even with FFG sleeves the panoramas still feel quite bendy.

Juat a shame they took a few cheap options as I would have rather paid slightly more and had that extra quality/attention to detail that would have made me feel it was fully a Deluxe version and valued as a customer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree, this was "Deluxe" in name only. And I AM a Kickstarter backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the panorama cards were fine, and still are about 20 games in. It's not like you need to shuffle and deal them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I Kickstarter it and couldn't be happier with the result. It's a pretty incredible production, even if I'd have preferred better panorama cards. Well worth the sacrifice for the painted minis, which are amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
I thought the panorama cards were fine, and still are about 20 games in. It's not like you need to shuffle and deal them.

They don't need shuffling but for a "deluxe" game they are well below the standard id expect. Especially when you compare them to the card stock used for standard issue but high quality games like Viticulture or Pandemic Legacy (ie. PL's card stock is much better and you play that potentailly needing to rip the cards in half and discard...rather than a "deluxe" version that should be a highlight in your collection for years to come)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
I Kickstarter it and couldn't be happier with the result. It's a pretty incredible production, even if I'd have preferred better panorama cards. Well worth the sacrifice for the painted minis, which are amazing.

Yes but the deluxe retail version comes with unpainted minis (the 16 figures for base game and crossroads expansion) so can't even use that to sweeten the production disappointments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.