Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and two friends played this last night at our local board game meetup and had a blast. This was my third play of the game. In the first round I found a card "The search for life" that allowed you, as an action, to spend one megacredit to look at the top of the deck. If it has a microbe tag you add a science resource to this card and it was worth 3 points per science tag. I figured that this card was probably not worth it, but it too thematic to pass up. I searched almost every round for the whole game, but came up short. Ended up losing to my wife by one point when everything was said and done.

I was impressed with how thematic this card felt and even though I knew it was probably a sub-optimal move it was too fun to pass up and I would have gladly picked it again, even knowing the final outcome. I think this speaks volumes for this game. To appease my curiosity (Mars pun intended), have any of you been successful in finding life in this game, or have any of you searched desperately and come up short?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murphy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a three player game and someone else played that card in Generation 2 or 3. They were able to find life a few turns later. Really a little luck driven but a fun way to get more points. It can also be good for getting all the tags you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card you reference does not give you 3 points per science marker on it, but only for one. You can stop searching for life once you've found it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
The card you reference does not give you 3 points per science marker on it, but only for one. You can stop searching for life once you've found it

I think the true scientist would be willing to continue sacrifice megacredits in the name of science, even without the reward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always passed this card up because of the high luck factor. A friend pointed out though, that having that extra action as a means of delaying has value in itself. I might give this a shot the next time I see it, assuming it comes up early.

I think I've seen it played a few times, and it successfully found life one of those times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkufan89 wrote:
To appease my curiosity (Mars pun intended), have any of you been successful in finding life in this game, or have any of you searched desperately and come up short?

I have successfylly found life on mars once with this card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the statistics, but I wonder what the odds of flipping a microbe card are? Does it stay the same when playing the short or long game? Or are all the tags proportional in both games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found life at the first try in one game, and in the last generation of a couple of games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite cards in the game, a brilliant design stroke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Walker
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
jeff0 wrote:
I've always passed this card up because of the high luck factor. A friend pointed out though, that having that extra action as a means of delaying has value in itself. I might give this a shot the next time I see it, assuming it comes up early.

I think I've seen it played a few times, and it successfully found life one of those times.

I have never once seen a successful search for life, but this is an excellent point. The more I play, the more I see the value in completing only one action on a turn. Having a cheap way of delaying another turn is quite appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Aftar
Poland
flag msg tools
this card is easy to complete when you draft red card "boss favourite project". It is for 1 megacredit and it gives you 1 resource for free on one card.

its just another combo. You dont need luck to complete it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Aftar2 wrote:
this card is easy to complete when you draft red card "boss favourite project". It is for 1 megacredit and it gives you 1 resource for free on one card.

its just another combo. You dont need luck to complete it.

Unfortunately, your favourite project can only put a resources on a card that already has one on it.
So in the quest to find life, it won't be any help. (Unless you want to find EVEN MORE LIFE!)

Did we figure out the chance to find life based on the number of uses?
What's the number of cards with... life on them... in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Did we figure out the chance to find life based on the number of uses?
What's the number of cards with... life on them... in the game?

So... I looked very closely at the cards. They all have microbes on them! whistle

Though only 16 have a microbe symbol on them, 3 are from the corporate era

This gives you the following chance to hit at least once during the corporate era(+promo):
1 try: 7.69%
2 tries: 14.83%
3 tries: 21.44%
4 tries: 27.57%
5 tries: 33.25%
6 tries: 38.52%
7 tries: 43.39%
8 tries: 47.89%
9 tries: 52.06%
10 tries: 55.91%
11 tries: 59.48%
12 tries: 62.77%
13 tries: 65.81%
14 tries: 68.61%
15 tries: 71.20%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
So... I looked very closely at the cards. They all have microbes on them! whistle

This gives you the following chance to hit at least once during the corporate era(+promo):

Interesting. Thanks for the anlysis. 50% chance over 10 rounds seems ok, but I think when you take the 10 megacredits into account it might not be worth it. Then again, there is value in having an action that can just delay your turn. I think I would try it again if I found it in the first 2 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
wkufan89 wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the anlysis. 50% chance over 10 rounds seems ok, but I think when you take the 10 megacredits into account it might not be worth it. Then again, there is value in having an action that can just delay your turn. I think I would try it again if I found it in the first 2 rounds.

Searching for life seems much easier when playing without the corporate era cards. However, I didn't know how many corporate era cards there are.
If somebody can tell me I could post a quick update for the chance to hit using the standard deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
This is affected by whether someone else has tried or is trying a microbe strategy, so somewhat conditional re after the draw deck is depleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
After revealing the top card, where does the card go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
After revealing the top card, where does the card go?

It is discarded. It should say so on the card, but apparently this slipped through our proof-reading... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.