$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone house rule not to replace devoured investigators while playing solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Hi, just finished my 1st play with the omens of ice expansion, really enjoying it but I was left very dissapointed at the end because of the final battle. Hope I played it right. Basically I spent 80 minutes going through adventures collecting things etc, enjoying it. Then as the doom tokens built up I had a couple of investigators who became devoured, so I followed the rules and chose two new investigators, they obviously came with full health. 6 and 4 I think. The turn or two after that, Rhan awoke, all I did was spend 4 turns a day trying to roll 2 skulls before midnight came round, once it did, Rhan attacked and I had to lose 2 health off an investigator, which with 10 health between the two new investigators felt like it was a walk in the park. I just felt I went through 75 minutes of adventures for no reason whatsoever as the two new investigators came along with no items etc and won the game. Did I play that battle correctly or is that it? Thinkin of house ruling that once an investigator is devoured that's it, he/she doesn't get replaced. I'm just not keen on house ruling games. Anyone else house rule this? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never replace the investigators. I only play solo. Sometimes with 1 investigator, sometimes with 2, sometimes with 4. Either way, I never replace them. If theyre devoured, I lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhan is pretty easy to beat in final battle, and I understand this can be a bummer because it makes the first part of the game pretty useless. You can simply go, and kill the dude without many problems. Other AOs are a lot tougher in final battle.

I'd suggest you to consider the houserule where you're not allowed to final battle, period. The AO wakes up, you lose the game. But you're allowed, during normal game play, to replace devoured investigators. Could come in handy for more difficult games to handle, like those played with the Gates of Arkham expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Rhan is pretty easy to beat in final battle, and I understand this can be a bummer because it makes the first part of the game pretty useless. You can simply go, and kill the dude without many problems. Other AOs are a lot tougher in final battle.

I'd suggest you to consider the houserule where you're not allowed to final battle, period. The AO wakes up, you lose the game. But you're allowed, during normal game play, to replace devoured investigators. Could come in handy for more difficult games to handle, like those played with the Gates of Arkham expansion

Not a bad idea, here. Im fairly new to the game, and dont own any of the expansions (yet), but have yet to have a Final Battle...so at least for the first time, Im fighting whatever that thing is that gets unleashed!! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia is right, Rhan is indeed pretty easy to beat. But other AOs are a lot tougher in my experience.

Like Julia mentioned, for a solo game, you should use the house rule where if the AO awakes you loose.

I usually start with 4 investigators and if one dies or goes insane I do not replace them. Especially in Omens, since I think it's not thematic for a new investigator to arrive out of nowhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
metabulis wrote:
I usually start with 4 investigators and if one dies or goes insane I do not replace them. Especially in Omens, since I think it's not thematic for a new investigator to arrive out of nowhere.

I take your point; still, I don't see it as being particularly different from getting a pile of allies arriving in Alaska's storms :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I take your point; still, I don't see it as being particularly different from getting a pile of allies arriving in Alaska's storms :/

Hmm... Fair enough!

Unless it's Grizzly Adams... then that's okay!
(Man... They should have Grizzly Adams as an ally)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that don't replace investigators (I don't either) do you still advance the clock on the dead investigators turn? (I do)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
For those that don't replace investigators (I don't either) do you still advance the clock on the dead investigators turn? (I do)

Ahh...no, I have not done that. But would be cool to ramp the difficulty up even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with phobias from Elder Sign: Grave Consequences makes the full investigator elimination for devouring at zeroed stamina even more appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To make the final battle more brutal, I made my own deck of cards that you use when fighting the Ancient One. When it's the AO's turn, you pull a card and the AO might do its normal attack, but usually there's something extra, like the AO heals a Doom Token, a die is locked, or the investigators lose a sanity or stamina. One of the cards is simply "an investigator is devoured", so you are definitely afraid when midnight comes around!

I also made a similar table that you can roll on with a 30-sided die, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you reconsider about house rules, particularly if playing solo. Elder Sign is a great game and if you tweak the game to make it how you like it, it has massive replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
If I can't solo it, I don't want it
badge
Beards and boardgames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost never replace dead investigators. In fact, I often lose interest when 1 of my 3 is dead, and stop playing unless I'm close to a win.

That's a big part of the reason my win rate is so low ... Probably 5 or 10%!

It just doesn't feel right to draw a fresh investigator. I already invested myself into the original ones! It's all or nothing, baby! No cavalry is showing up to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.