Subject: Having trouble winning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm just having bad luck with the dice, but I've played the 1st scenario (the easiest one) 3 times now and have not come close to winning. I'll put more in a spoiler box in case people haven't played yet.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I admit that I struggle with the mastermind puzzle and on 2 occasions have lost while doing that puzzle and then having monsters kill my investigators or just run out of time and have the mansion disappear. On my 3rd go last night the scenario played out with different tiles which was nice as I thought it wouldn't do that. I got to the portal puzzle with 2 investigators alive and 6 clue tokens available on Preston, with Mateo as my other. Was doing the puzzle and I felt I was going to crack it. A star spawn attacked but we killed it off. Another appeared and killed Mateo. Technically I lost the game then but I decided to cheat and carry on with just Preston. I finally defeated the puzzle with one clue left and I though that I had finally won but my hoped were dashed when another token appeared that I had to interact with in a different tile. By then I was insane and had about one damage left and I had a star spawn sitting on me so I got clobbered as soon as I tried to move.

Still finding it enjoyable but wondering whether I need to play with 3 or more investigators. It's harder work but I don't mind the bookeeping as I take my time to look at all the cards, skills etc before taking my actions. Other than that I'm not sure what else to do to make my life easier, aside from learn how to do mastermind puzzles in 3 moves or less!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll start off by saying that playing the game with only two investigators is a bit tougher than with a full party. Even though the game scales down a bit for combat and takes it easier on you during the Mythos phase, you need to be a lot more efficient with your turns since you're spread quite thin in terms of map coverage.

Also, from what you described, it sounds like you're taking too long with the investigation.

If you don't reach the ritual in-time, the cultists will open the portal. But, if you hurry and get the key, you can actually stop the ritual before the portal even opens; this involves more combat rather than puzzles and is easier if you really hate the mastermind puzzle. And if it takes you long enough to solve the puzzle that TWO Star Spawns have showed up, the game is really trying to tell you that you're out of time. Note that as the game goes on, the Mythos effects get harder and harder.

So maybe try the game again with 3-4 investigators and see if that makes it easier for you.

All of that being said, the game is still supposed to be hard. All of the Arkham games tend to be difficult to win, even at their easiest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is primarily the puzzle that is giving you problems, then you have a few solutions.

1) Pick investigators who are better with puzzles so that you have more turns (but those characters tend to be worse at combat, so you may end up with different problems).

2) Just "cheat" a little and allow yourself more turns when doing the mastermind puzzle. It's your game, play it how you want to, not like someone is going to condemn you for it. Not everyone is good at mastermind puzzles, so no shame in giving yourself a handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have to agree though, you're taking too long. Figure out what items are important and run through the rest. There are also a couple of ways to get to the end. Once you know them, you can skip certain parts.

Also, evade evade evade. Often times, especially at the end, I'm just evading non-stop rather than wasting actions fighting monsters. You have to know when to fight, and when to book it Carter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
Also, evade evade evade.

QFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
What you have to do is address only the issues that need addressing. There is very little in that scenario that you absolutely 'need' to do - focus solely on them:

You need to either solve the puzzle in the bedroom OR get the key from the hidden room (which varies depending on the map). That is all. You can ignore everything else. After that, go to the locked room and bust the cultist's heads. (actually, evade them and just grab the ceremonial items)

If you focus just on doing the above the game will be over long before Star Spawn appear and the house begins breaking up (and you won't have to worry about the Mastermind puzzle either). Be task focused and evade when necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a silly question, but how do you "focus on what's important and ignore the other stuff?"

I've only played it three times, and I'd have a hard time approaching it this way, because with the map variability, I don't know where the important (worth pursuing) stuff is and where the expendable stuff is. This means I'm searching all the rooms, because the "need stuff" could be in any one of them. Does this make sense?

Every time I've played scenario 1, the ritual has finished and I've needed to close the portal. I've succeeded twice. I think it's pretty damn cool that you can move fast enough to prevent the portal from opening. I've wondered if that's possible. Guess it is.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WonderSlug wrote:
Probably a silly question, but how do you "focus on what's important and ignore the other stuff?"

I've only played it three times, and I'd have a hard time approaching it this way, because with the map variability, I don't know where the important (worth pursuing) stuff is and where the expendable stuff is. This means I'm searching all the rooms, because the "need stuff" could be in any one of them. Does this make sense?

Every time I've played scenario 1, the ritual has finished and I've needed to close the portal. I've succeeded twice. I think it's pretty damn cool that you can move fast enough to prevent the portal from opening. I've wondered if that's possible. Guess it is.

Thanks.

Speaking for just the 1st Scenario:

The map variation will keep things fresh, but there are certain constants:
1) The Hunting Horror in the kitchen and Eugene the Butler (this is always the room with the crashing sound at the beginning).
2) The door to the ritual needing the brass key to be unlocked
3) The brass key being in the Mr. Vanderbilt's library behind a hidden panel.

You should try to speak to Eugene, the butler with a high Influence character. He will give you a good idea for what direction you need to head to get to the Library

That should give you some insight on how to go through the scenario quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
WonderSlug wrote:

Thanks.

I highlighted 'the important stuff' in the spoiler. One tip that not everyone takes advantage of: whenever exploration tokens are placed click on them and see what it says. Remember, any token can be freely clicked on at any time; it only requires an action when it shows the action symbol. Usually, these descriptions give a strong indication of what type of room is beyond the door. For example, the bedroom will be indicated, so you don't have to open every door searching for it.

Very explicit description of 'the important stuff' below:

The bedroom is the ONLY room you need to go into, no matter how the map is laid out. As the poster above me said the key elements of the scenario are always constant. There is a puzzle in the bedroom which will open the locked room (again, always check the Exploration tags to find out which the locked room is - that room is your objective) - so you can literally go straight to there, solve the puzzle and go to the ceremony room (the locked room) without doing anything else. If you'd rather not do the puzzle you can get the Brass Key instead: regardless of which map variation you get there will be one room with a secret door; in the hidden room beyond that you will find the key. You will know the room with the hidden door as when you first explore it you will see a cultist using it; the App makes it pretty obvious. Using it will involve doing the sliding tiles puzzle.

Doing anything other than the above just helps you find useful stuff, get clue tokens etc. You do HAVE to be selective. If you explore everything you will more than likely lose... especially in later scenarios. This is why it's not likely to beat a scenario on the first attempt. Generally speaking you have to play once to find out WHAT the key items are and where you're likely to find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with others: a common mistake "bad" players make is that you have to search every search token. You don't and shouldn't, because if you do, you will run out of time and lose.

The descriptions of each search token should give you an idea of what it is and whether it might be useful. It will also give you an indication of whether you will need to test a skill as part of searching it. If it sounds like you might need to test Strength when searching somewhere, don't waste time doing it with a low Strength investigator!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.