BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: difference between legacy and 'traditional' campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
As titles says,

what is the difference between a legacy game and one with a traditional campaign? apart from you actually destroying things.

this probably has been posted somewhere but i couldn't find.

Is there any major difference gameplay wise from one to another?

any 'sticker' you may have put on your card giving it a skill is the same as having any equipment or skill card that you would get in a Dungeon Crawler campaign that would last till the end.

maybe is about playing the same game again and again, each time with something different, instead of playing the 'same' game in different scenarious?

i haven't played many 'traditional' campaign games or one of the legacy games, so the answer may be something right under my nose but i got to ask anyway

thank you for any help and sorry for any typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i think a legacy game is indeed meant to be a one time play through.
Where a game that allows campaign play such a descent can be started/stopped at different point with multiple people using the same game.
The legacy game would mean you start and get your 1-15/20 games out of it, and you really can't start over, the game is meant to be finite with a clear start, middle, end of story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:
apart from you actually destroying things.

Don't so easily discount this. Legacy games inherently make irreversible changes as the game goes on, which is a heavy aspect of what makes them a legacy game vs a traditional campaign game. Lots of times this is accomplished by destroying things, applying stickers, writing on the board, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreeing with Jacob, the visceral destroying of your game lends a huge air of intensity.

Beyond that, its generally spoiler type stuff.

Playing Pandemic Legacy and NOT knowing what happens past April makes you play a VERY different game than if you knew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't read too deeply into the term "Legacy".

With Risk Legacy specifically, the idea was that when you were finished with the campaign, you would have a new board to play a game on your own unique Earth.
I never finished the campaign of that one, so I don't know if that ever worked out for anyone. But it was competitive, so the concept had legs.

Pandemic Legacy, on the other hand, had a distinct start and end. While you could keep playing on after December, nothing would change about the world and it's a cooperative game, so it would be just like playing Pandemic on a different difficulty level, effectively.

The only thing that ties these 2 games together is the fact that at certain points in the game, you're instructed to open a package and/or make some kind of permanent change to the game. But just these two play entirely differently, apart from that..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept behind legacy games is that changes to the board and the game are permanent. Yes, the sticker may have the same function as a skill card, but once you get it it's permanent not just for the current game but for any other game down the road with that particular character/board, and the fact that you may be instructed to destroy a card means that you will never see that item/race/effect appearing on any of your future games ever again. Your characters and your world will not (and cannot) revert back to their initial state each time you start a new game like it happens in most tabletop boardgames, making it a little similar to a traditional RPG campaign where your charactwer stats and your actions upon the world are carried over from session to session.

The idea of modifiable/destroyable/unreplayable titles is still a pretty new concept for commercial boardgames, having just a handful that have been successfully marketed with this premise. So It's still not certain if it's gonna be just a gimmick used by just a few and dropped later (like scratch-and-sniff games, games that needed 3D glasses or games with real lasers!), or a more widely used game mechanism that will be explored and expanded in the coming years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy can be applied to some campaigns - if your trying to solve a mystery but already know it was Mailee with the wand of magic missiles in the dungeon, kinda ruins a plot point. It also makes games like Sherlock Holmes and Time Stories limited in replayability even without component destruction.

Gloomhaven offers similar but I'll agree that it's more of a traditional campaign with a variety of plot points but can allow for rewinding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
In a word: reversibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.