Subject: Remove up to X things from another player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing negative effects and removing resources from a player, do those resources go back to the community pot or to the taking player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the bank, sadly. There is at least one card which gives the resources to the player playing the card, but it says to steal on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Back to the bank, sadly. There is at least one card which gives the resources to the player playing the card, but it says to steal on it.

Oops! I think we played them all as steal. Plants kept going back and forth across the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the cards destroys resources, take an asteroid for an example. It would make no sense for the owner of the asteroid to "steal" plants that were destroyed in the inpact....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing solo the cards that ONLY remove resources, eg Sabotage, seem to me to be "dead wood" and should be removed from the deck before play, or when drawn allow another draw. That is unless Jonathan included the occasional appearance of these dead cards when balancing the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
When playing solo the cards that ONLY remove resources, eg Sabotage, seem to me to be "dead wood" and should be removed from the deck before play, or when drawn allow another draw. That is unless Jonathan included the occasional appearance of these dead cards when balancing the solo game.

There's nothing in the rules about throwing out "useless" cards for solo play - and yes, there are a few of those, Protected Habitats being a very obvious one too. So if you're doing that, be aware you are playing a more "easy mode" house rule. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not throwing them out. Just suggesting potential efficiency improvement. I'm clearly at odds with the designer's philosophy as itemized in Jonathan's reply to my email about this:

Hi!

Jacob would probably have a more detailed answer, but here's my 2 cents:
1. For simplicity, we want to avoid long setups and special rules. Removing a few named cards for the solo game setup would - at least in my opinion - be a pretty bothersome task for a very small effect, especially since I play a lot of multiplayer as well.
2. Think of the cards as patents, or some kind of investment someone comes to your corporation with. Some of the ideas are really good, some of them are bad, som of them are not fitting for the time. Thematically, it would make no sense to either discard these cards for profit (redraw) or remove them from the deck.
3. With a quick skim-through of the deck (even I don't have all the cards in my head at any one point), I can only find 1 card which is never ever interesting to play in a solo game; Protected Habitats. Other cards that are very hard to profit from in solo are;
- Toll Station. Its effect cannot give you profit, but the space tag can help you get money production if played with Satellites. This will only be worthwhile if you have some leftover titanium or immersive space discounts, but even so.
- Land Claim. This effect is not useful either, but because it is an event, you can profit from playing it if you are Interplanetary Cinematics and/or have Media Group. The same goes for the following three cards too.
- Hired Raiders. You don't get much from this, since you pay 3 to get it to your hand (unless you get in a draw cards action), and pay 1 to play it (unless you have a discount). However, there are situations where this will benefit you.
- Sabotage. This can also only be profitable if you have Media Group or playing IC.
- Virus. Same as above, but this one also has a Microbe tag, which could trigger other card effects, as well as be the victory for Search for Life.

Thus, I find no good argument to remove any of these cards from the deck. It is simply not worth the work, and doing so does not give any significant improvement to the game.
//Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.