Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a solo variant for Retreat to Darkmoor. To be more accurate, it's a hasty sketch of a solo variant. Comments are most welcome.

You play against the Dicey Overlord (DO). He’s a very simple bot. I think that he is the first bot for RtD. He may not be the last.

Set up as for a two-player game, except that DO does not have a hand of cards.

General Instructions for DO

DO always plays the top card from his deck. Hence he does not need a hand of cards.

To choose which of the three hordes to play his card, DO uses a d6. 1 or 2 indicates the leftmost horde, 3 or 4 the center horde, and 5 or 6 the rightmost horde.

In other cases of choice among columns, use a d6 as above. If the d6 indicates a column that DO cannot legally choose, roll again.

To choose an adjacent minion from multiple adjacent minions, use the following order: minion ahead (i.e. closer to the location); minion behind; minion in adjacent horde.

Minion-Specific Instructions for DO

GS, SW, SG: choose the minion at the front of the horde.
PG: choose the DO minion closest to the front.
MP, MS: do not take the action.
OR: always escape.
SF: play from top of DO’s deck.
TB: DO will if possible return a minion to your hand; if a card is returned to DO, slide it into DO’s deck about halfway down.

Giving DO a Chance, Even Though He Has No Brain

DO is simple, in two ways. First, it’s easy to take his turns for him. Second, he’s not very smart.

So I’d like to add a simple rule to make the contest between you and DO more even. Here are some early ideas.
Start DO with VP. How many?
Give DO VP after certain events. 2 VP every time a minion (of either player) is defeated?
Don’t give DO an advantage. Try to win by as many VP as possible.

Thanks if you've read this far. Extra thanks if you try the variant. Many thanks (and probably thumbs, and possibly gold) if you post comments on this variant, or ideas for other solo variants.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll give this a run through during the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.