Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Blood Rage painting (first time ever painting mini's) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hey guys..

Today I made the decision that an awesome game like Blood Rage needs painted miniatures . It is my first time ever painting miniatures (or painting anything at all, except the walls in my apartment.) If you could give me feedback it would be awesome, both positive and negative. I am not going for insanly pro skilled painting, I just want something that looks good when played with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, looking good! I'm certainly no pro, but it is always nicer to look at a painted game than just plain plastic. Very nice. Speaking as a total non-pro, you may want to consider blending in some other shades of color so the serpent (or your next mini) has a little more depth. It's something that I've only recently started doing myself, but it can make a difference. Certainly not a criticism as your first time beats my first time by MILES. Keep going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
Yup, looking good! I'm certainly no pro, but it is always nicer to look at a painted game than just plain plastic. Very nice. Speaking as a total non-pro, you may want to consider blending in some other shades of color so the serpent (or your next mini) has a little more depth. It's something that I've only recently started doing myself, but it can make a difference. Certainly not a criticism as your first time beats my first time by MILES. Keep going!

Thx man, yeah I can see what you mean with adding more depth, how do I do that? Would it help if I drybrushed a different color on the highlights? And can I do that now after I have used a wash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also no expert (actually I just recently bought blood rage so that I could get back into painting myself), but that sea serpent looks great! I did a bit of dry brushing on mine with a lighter green to bring out the depth and I think it made it look a lot better, but I'd hate to steer you wrong, so definitely defer to any expert opinion over mine.

Either way, great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oceanemotion wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Thx man, yeah I can see what you mean with adding more depth, how do I do that? Would it help if I drybrushed a different color on the highlights? And can I do that now after I have used a wash?

No problem. Drybrushing is something I don't do, because, frankly, I utterly suck at it. It's never come out good, and I don't have the patience to practice that aspect.

I usually blend lighter, watered down colors so it's more subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
CelestialMonkey wrote:
I am also no expert (actually I just recently bought blood rage so that I could get back into painting myself), but that sea serpent looks great! I did a bit of dry brushing on mine with a lighter green to bring out the depth and I think it made it look a lot better, but I'd hate to steer you wrong, so definitely defer to any expert opinion over mine.

Either way, great work!

Thx man, could you show a picture of your sea serpant so I can get inspiration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually sold my pledge when it came in because I wasn't overly thrilled with the game, but here is my Ablobination from Zombicide Black Plague upon which I did more blending than I usually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
I actually sold my pledge when it came in because I wasn't overly thrilled with the game, but here is my Ablobination from Zombicide Black Plague upon which I did more blending than I usually do.

Instead of selling your pledge, couldnt you have sent it to me instead? . Jokes aside, yeah I can see what you mean, I will try to do this with the next one I paint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work. BR also motivated me to start painting. One thing you definitely should look into is using a wash of some kind. It isn't too important for the serpent but it makes a huge difference on the figures where you have textures like fur and it helps make details pop. For the serpent you might want to consider adding a glossy varnish as it gives a nice "wet" look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
SechulLath wrote:
Nice work. BR also motivated me to start painting. One thing you definitely should look into is using a wash of some kind. It isn't too important for the serpent but it makes a huge difference on the figures where you have textures like fur and it helps make details pop. For the serpent you might want to consider adding a glossy varnish as it gives a nice "wet" look.

I actually did use a wash, a green wash. Maybe I need to add more wash then? I didnt think about the glossy varnish, that might be a thing to do, I did use a mat varnish though, can I apply a glossy one on top of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
oceanemotion wrote:
SechulLath wrote:

I actually did use a wash, a green wash. Maybe I need to add more wash then? I didnt think about the glossy varnish, that might be a thing to do, I did use a mat varnish though, can I apply a glossy one on top of it?

You can put the glossy over the matte varnish. I spray all my minis with a matte varnish then, if necessary, go over the shiny parts with a gloss varnish to make them pop.

As for the washes, you usually want them to be significantly darker than the base color. so mixing your green wash with a black wash will darken the recesses much more and make the texture stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
Krushhhhh wrote:
oceanemotion wrote:
SechulLath wrote:

You can put the glossy over the matte varnish. I spray all my minis with a matte varnish then, if necessary, go over the shiny parts with a gloss varnish to make them pop.

As for the washes, you usually want them to be significantly darker than the base color. so mixing your green wash with a black wash will darken the recesses much more and make the texture stand out.

awesome. The wash was much darker than the color I painted with. Maybe I will have to go over it again with another layer of wash to bring out more details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My buddy painted mine, any questions for him use balmy138
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good!! The larger the mini the harder too make it look good. Try the smaller clan guys if you want to get some practice(or just feel really good about yourself). I'm working on mine too. Just posted two pictures a few days back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
I tried to do some of the things you guys suggested, and I really like the new result, what do you guys think now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. Here is mine painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking great, Kasparov. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just finished the troll, I am really happy with how it turned out, I wanted it to have an earthen look at think it went pretty well (the picture is abit dark)

after the picture was taken, I drybrushed a bit of gray in his hair so its not just black which also looks really nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
wolverine1977 wrote:
Nice job. Here is mine painted.

How do you paint the fire on the fire giants sword like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
i did the red first, then orangje and the yellow. They have to be still somewhat wet so they blend a bit toghter. It's isn't a specific technieck for what i did hehe i tried it like that and it worked out great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy painting fire for some odd reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
oceanemotion wrote:
Just finished the troll, I am really happy with how it turned out, I wanted it to have an earthen look at think it went pretty well (the picture is abit dark)

after the picture was taken, I drybrushed a bit of gray in his hair so its not just black which also looks really nice

Looking great for your first time. The biggest suggestion I'd give, since you already know how to wash and drybrush, is to err on the side of lighter colors. When you start getting dark, it's hard to make out the details, unless you are spending a lot of time with edge highlighting and whatnot. Sometimes you need things to be dark, but if you're ever not sure, go with a lighter color over a darker one. It will help the wash to stand out more, which will make the details stand out more, which will make them look nicer on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
markblasco wrote:
oceanemotion wrote:

Looking great for your first time. The biggest suggestion I'd give, since you already know how to wash and drybrush, is to err on the side of lighter colors. When you start getting dark, it's hard to make out the details, unless you are spending a lot of time with edge highlighting and whatnot. Sometimes you need things to be dark, but if you're ever not sure, go with a lighter color over a darker one. It will help the wash to stand out more, which will make the details stand out more, which will make them look nicer on the table.

I started out with a Kislev flesh (look image below), which is pretty light imo, then I used a flesh wash, to make it darker, then painted the rest of the model and then washed it again to make it a bit more dark and earth'ish and to make details on the rest of the figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.