United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Those two games are very different.

Arkham Horror is cooperative, and like to take around 3 hours to play. If you are looking for a highly thematic, long, cooperative experience, then I highly recommend Eldritch Horror, which is a streamlined reimplementation of Arkham Horror.

Summoner Wars is a 1 on 1 dueling style tactical game that plays in under an hour. If you think you will often have two players and you want to go head to head in battles with varying factions, then I think it is a great choice.

Eldritch could be played solo, while Summoner Wars cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is a big sprawling mess of a game that takes a bit of work to be able to play. If you're new to the genre you would probably like Eldritch Horror more, since it's the "updated" version more or less. There's a lot of dice rolling and you need to be imaginative to connect the "stories" in the game but a lot of people enjoy the game (I personally didn't like AH or EH). Arkham Horror isn't really any easier than Mage Knight to learn, and I'd argue Arkham Horror is "harder" to learn since it is a very, very fiddly game.

So here's some recommendations for you:

1) Legends of Andor. Co-op fantasy game, very, very easy to learn and fun to play. 1-4 player.
2) Eldritch Horror. Streamlined Arkham Horror, and most would probably say it's better. 1-4 player.
3) Mage Wars Academy. Cheap and easy 2 player dueling game.

After you get a few games under your belt I'd pick up Mage Knight, as it's truly fantastic, but a lot of work. It's not all that hard though, and if you're willing to read the rulebook two-three times you'll have no problem playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is nearly double the price of Arkham Horror.

I am considering to buy Mage Knight myself, but haven't played it yet. From the videos I have seen and the weight tag on BGG it seams a bit heavier than Arkham Horror,

AH is a great game, if a bit clunky here and there. For the price of MK you will probably get AH plus one large or two small expansions.

Eldritch Horror is a more adventurous version of AH (think Indiana Jones), but in my view AH is more atmospheric.
Both games have several expansions.

I really recommend to watch some playthroughs to decide, wich one is better for you.

Also, Legends of Andor is a great series too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why not wait for the Arkham Horror Card Game? You could play it both solo and with small groups, it's a co-op game. And it's designed to be played as a campaign, with regular release of new boxes (like Lord of the Rings card game, which it is obviously modeled upon).

Summoner Wars is perfect for people who like 2-player competitive tactical style games.

IMO you can never go wrong with Mage Knight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Mage Knight is nearly double the price of Arkham Horror.

I am considering to buy Mage Knight myself, but haven't played it yet. From the videos I have seen and the weight tag on BGG it seams a bit heavier than Arkham Horror,

AH is a great game, if a bit clunky here and there. For the price of MK you will probably get AH plus one large or two small expansions.

Eldritch Horror is a more adventurous version of AH (think Indiana Jones), but in my view AH is more atmospheric.
Both games have several expansions.

I really recommend to watch some playthroughs to decide, wich one is better for you.

Also, Legends of Andor is a great series too.

If you were asking me, I'd say Mage Knight is just leaps and bounds above AH in every way, but I don't like strict ameritrash games very much. You got like a lifetime of replay value in a box of Mage Knight and I got bored of Arkham Horror after 3 games. Way more in the Mage Knight box too, so the price is justified. I had a harder time learning/playing Arkham Horror than I did Mage Knight since there are just so many fiddly weird little things to remember.

Mage Knight is all about card play and brainburning. Arkham Horror is all about storytelling and rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the gameplay and ideas in Arkham horror, but I almost never want to play it. The components and usability design make it an absolute chore to play. For example, mythos cards. You'd think you have to resolve all the effects from top to bottom on the card, right? Nope! You'll bounce around to different spots on the card in a specific order. And spawning monsters: there's a limit to the number of monsters that can be in the city. The extras overflow to the outskirts. These limits are printed in the rulebook, and vary based on the number of players. And keeping count of them is quite a pain, because the monster tokens can blend very easily into the noisy visual design of the board. And then there's moving the monsters. Certain colored borders on the monster tokens mean certain things as to how they move (or don't move). Again, more details that are in the rulebook. Flying monsters will move to a little remote space on the board representing the skies over Arkham. Yes, it's very easy to forget they're there when moving monsters on subsequent turns.

So, paradoxically, I like the game, but I don't like playing it. If there were an electronic version that handled all the unintuitive minutiae, I'd be thrilled. Until then, Elder Sign is close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned I would suggest checking out Eldritch Horror if you are interested in Arkham Horror. I enjoyed Arkham, but Eldritch completely replaced it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham really is not that fiddly or hard to learn once you have played a few times. Many of the criticisms leveled at it i have seen expressed about Mage Knight also. Many people just find that game frustrating. Eldritch is a streamlined version of Arkham but does not play in much less time and many people say it is not as immersive as Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror. Was personally never a big fan of Summoner Wars - which is a two player card duel.
I disagree with some that say that Eldritch will replace Arkham. Although they both deal with the same theme, they are actually very different animals.
Eldritch horror is very quest driven - go here and do this, go there and do that, get to this place and solve the disappearing children rumor. Where as Arkham is more single minded - work together to close gates and fight monsters before the great old one awakens. Arkham is way more fiddly then Eldritch so for a beginner I would say start with Eldritch and if you like the theme get Arkham as well later. Hope this helps!!
A bonus right now is Arkham is getting pretty cheap to purchase and has A TON OF EXPANSIONS !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arkham horror is an immersive, thematic experience that is different each time. It is an amazing game that is pretty easy to play after watching a couple of run throughs on youtube. You do need to follow the steps, but getting into a game that requires my full concentration is what I love about board games. Just make sure you have a big table!

You can also probably buy it used around your area. I picked it up with 2 big expansions for less than the selling price of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Manning
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, you can read about my first experience with Arkham Horror here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1601805/disappointed-arkham...

Trust me, it's not for the faint of heart. I've still not changed my mind on the game, but have yet to give up on it. On the bright side, the thread I created is fairly fun to read! Lots of useful information, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.