jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayor Bill de Blasio's socialist utopia has a bit of a hiccup , I am sure they can get the bugs worked out.

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Wi-Fi kiosks are meant to be a great resource for New Yorkers, but stories of people using them for unsavory purposes -- like a homeless man setting up shop and watching porn like he's in his own living room -- are being more common.

The latest purported incident happened in Murray Hill, where a woman says she saw a homeless person pleasuring himself in one of the booths. The New York Post reports the disgusted witness shared her experience in a neighborhood Facebook group.

Now, she and other residents have had enough.

A city leader is sounding the alarm Monday, saying actions needs to be taken, like limiting the time any one user can spend at the kiosks and installing porn filters.

"After learning about the inappropriate and over-extended usage of LinkNYC kiosks throughout the city, in particular in Manhattan, it is time to make adjustments that will allow all of our city residents to use this service safely and comfortably," Bronx borough president Ruben Diaz Jr. said in a statement.

"There should be a way where you can register like you do with Wi-Fi with an email address and have that timed out and then you can't log on for x amount of time," said Diaz.

As for people using the kiosks to watch porn, Diaz says it's an easy fix.

"The technology is there for them to filter out a few adult entertainment sites."

The city has been rolling the kiosks out since the beginning of the year. They're being installed in old phone booths.



http://pix11.com/2016/09/14/web-browsing-scrubbed-from-linkn...

Well the party is over.

Quote:
A little over a month later, the company has announced that it is removing web browsing from all the tablets attached to the kiosks because people are hogging them, sometimes even pulling up chairs. This comes after reports surfaced of people “inappropriately” using the public kiosks to watch porn.


http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/09/linknyc-pulls-web-access...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People suck at behaving responsibly and some of them will abuse things when given half a chance. News at 11.

(EDIT: Snark aside. Thanks for posting the articles. That wasn't meant to be a condemnation of your sharing.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who's ever walked into a library already knows this. When I was finishing grad school I had to use the downtown public library and most of the users were watching porn. Didn't see any jerking off but saw plenty of porn. Guess they should have conferred with the head librarian before rolling out this program.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm not sure how free WiFi is the problem here, but I'll assume it's because you have a poor grasp on technology.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tragedy of the commons.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I'm not sure how free WiFi is the problem here, but I'll assume it's because you have a poor grasp on technology.

Actually it just sounds like the demand is much higher than the supply, just proving the need to build even more of these kiosks.

[edit] A quick check tells me there are 7500 of these in NYC. That for a city of 8.4 million people. Seems like a pretty extreme shortage to me, only one of these for every 1120 people. No wonder so many people aren't able to use them when they need them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
I'm not sure how free WiFi is the problem here, but I'll assume it's because you have a poor grasp on technology.

Actually it just sounds like the demand is much higher than the supply, just proving the need to build even more of these kiosks.

[edit] A quick check tells me there are 7500 of these in NYC. That for a city of 8.4 million people. Seems like a pretty extreme shortage to me, only one of these for every 1120 people. No wonder so many people aren't able to use them when they need them.


But, seriously, it's pretty 101-level stuff that if you are putting something like this in (RE: library usage, too) - you put a filter on the thing. Pure common sense, there.

Nevermind porn, you also want to block gambling/gaming sites, illegal content, etc.

Basically the same sort of filter that every company in the country already has on their firewalls.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
I'm not sure how free WiFi is the problem here, but I'll assume it's because you have a poor grasp on technology.

Actually it just sounds like the demand is much higher than the supply, just proving the need to build even more of these kiosks.

[edit] A quick check tells me there are 7500 of these in NYC. That for a city of 8.4 million people. Seems like a pretty extreme shortage to me, only one of these for every 1120 people. No wonder so many people aren't able to use them when they need them.

I think the vast majority of people have their own devices they can use and don't need the kiosk functionality at all. The WiFi aspect is probably useful to far more people as most mobile data plans are limited in some way, plus of course using laptop in cafes without their own wifi and the like.

The kiosk screens are a nice idea, but probably more trouble then they're worth. They don't seem to be meant to replace functionality of something like a library PC, they just seem to be a way for someone to get directions or local information quickly. I don't think removing them would create any sort of internet access disparity in the populace.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GOD GOD FREE WI_FI - some of those users will even will even visit 'legit' republican sites for their daily dose of what ever the republician wing nuts are frothing about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
Anyone who's ever walked into a library already knows this. When I was finishing grad school I had to use the downtown public library and most of the users were watching porn. Didn't see any jerking off but saw plenty of porn. Guess they should have conferred with the head librarian before rolling out this program.


That's odd. Because games like boom beach and porn sites are blocked at my public libraries.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
Anyone who's ever walked into a library already knows this. When I was finishing grad school I had to use the downtown public library and most of the users were watching porn. Didn't see any jerking off but saw plenty of porn. Guess they should have conferred with the head librarian before rolling out this program.


That's odd. Because games like boom beach and porn sites are blocked at my public libraries.


Texas sucks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.