Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone

FFG's website lists the Evolution expansion as "at the printer" and several online strores here in the UK are taking pre-orders.

Any thoughts on a likely arrival date in the stores? I am thinking of getting it not only for myself, but also as a Christmas gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't too much information, unfortunately.
EXALT tokens, dangerous dice, and Mech Troopers are really all we've been told.

The box says we'll "need" one of each kind of sleeve so its likely that the expansion will come with more crisis cards, more tech cards, and more mission/ asset cards.

My guess? If you liked XCOM, you'll like having more. If you didn't, I doubt this will add anything to change your mind.

I'm hoping the app is updated before the game hits store, that way we can check out the updated rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm having enough problems as the game is right now because I'm testing a variant in solo. No doubt I'm gonna get the expansion and have to change the rules and rebalance everything again.

I suppose whoever has XCom2 on PC already knows what he's getting... what we have seen is the new miniatures, a few cards and tokens but the real curiosity lies in how these new things are implemented.

Considering the game would have gone to the printing phase had it not been tested thoroughlly and that the music, arts, pictures and videos are in the XCom2 game, I believe the app is already updated and this patch will be released when the game is out (which is going to be, I presume, shortly before Xmas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Xmas ... that is what I am hoping.

I purchased the base game three months ago and it and the app work very well together. It is interesting to note that Mansions of Madness (2nd Ed) got a lot of flack on its release, due to problems with the app. FFG seems to have fixed it, and quickly, but they got flack nonetheless. The two expansions for MoM2 have had their release in the UK delayed by a week; the only reason I can think of is that FFG are making sure the new scenarios that will be released for the MoM2 app are robust. It is not hard to imagine they will do the same with XCOM:Evolution, making sure the app works first time out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
GShock112 wrote:
I'm having enough problems as the game is right now because I'm testing a variant in solo. No doubt I'm gonna get the expansion and have to change the rules and rebalance everything again.

I suppose whoever has XCom2 on PC already knows what he's getting... what we have seen is the new miniatures, a few cards and tokens but the real curiosity lies in how these new things are implemented.

Considering the game would have gone to the printing phase had it not been tested thoroughlly and that the music, arts, pictures and videos are in the XCom2 game, I believe the app is already updated and this patch will be released when the game is out (which is going to be, I presume, shortly before Xmas).

I believe that all of the expansion content comes from the first XCOM video game expansion. Exalt and the robot soldiers didn't start in XCOM 2.

I'm hoping there are some substantial additions, and not just a card or two for each area. I'd love some new science cards and enemy types. I'll be purchasing it regardless, because I like the game a ton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well it can already be pre-ordered... at waylandgames for something short of 20£ but I'm guessing, since it's at the printers now, how long can it take still... a month? 2? Xmas seems very far away.

How long can it take to print a few cards and do 4 plastic miniatures? Maybe they're going to hold on due to the high numbers of downloads on the APP. Even if 4 people downloaded it without actually buying the game, that's still 4/100.000+

that's at least 25.000 boxes. One out of 5 is still 5000 boxes which is a huge number they can't produce all together... they'll have to do in waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
GShock112 wrote:

I believe that all of the expansion content comes from the first XCOM video game expansion. Exalt and the robot soldiers didn't start in XCOM 2.

I'm hoping there are some substantial additions, and not just a card or two for each area. I'd love some new science cards and enemy types. I'll be purchasing it regardless, because I like the game a ton.

Yeah, MEC Troopers, Meld and EXALT all feature in Enemy Within, and none of them are in XCOM 2 - MECs are replaced by SPARKs from the DLC, and ADVENT are loosely equivalent to EXALT, but the names used point directly to Enemy Within.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a STRONG feeling they will do another expansion for this magnificent board game. :-)

Meanwhile, I took an answer from FFG about my inquiry on the release date.
I was more interested in knowing the changes to the rules since I'm working on my variant (you'll find the thread where I ask for solo play testers in the variants forum) and my attention was caught by the danger token that changes the alien die from D8 to D6 (dramatic change of difficulty here)... and that's because I'm using D10 (both as D10 and as D100) for other things in my variant as well as D4 and D12 (promotion to Elite is not automatic here).

Naturally, the guy didn't answer: they can't disclose the release date, however, he said they will publish the rules a couple of weeks prior to the release.

So, when you see the rules published that's the moment we can pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hoped the expansion would include psy soldiers instead of these tanks, but I guess it will still be fun. I hope it won't increase randomness though, as way too many expansions add variety by increasing randomness more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.