United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Yoda?
Combat cards?

I know One in a Million is allowed to auto succeed but if I remember right the wording on it is quite similar to Yoda and other cards. I feel bad for not being sure about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For Yoda, I'd say yes, as long as you haven't used Yoda already this game round. It's during a combat, so it seems like it would be usable in the same way One in a Million would.

I would say no to using Tactics cards (ie, Concentrate Fire), though, because to play those (other than blocks) you have to use them as an "action" as part of a combat round, and although the Death Star Plans attack is part of combat, it's after the Space Battle step, and thus after the time that you would play tactics card actions.

Just my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
There was an official ruling about nay on combat cards. Yoda lets you re-roll but only One in a Million lets you dictate the result.

Here it is, from the FFG ruling thread.

Muad Dib wrote:
Can Concentrate Fire be played to reroll dice for the Death Star Plans objective? I suppose not, just wanted to double check.

Corey Konieczka wrote:

No. Concentrate Fire cannot be used to preroll dice for the Death Star Plans objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
There was an official ruling about nay on combat cards. Yoda lets you re-roll but only One in a Million lets you dictate the result.

Here it is, from the FFG ruling thread.

Muad Dib wrote:
Can Concentrate Fire be played to reroll dice for the Death Star Plans objective? I suppose not, just wanted to double check.

Corey Konieczka wrote:

No. Concentrate Fire cannot be used to preroll dice for the Death Star Plans objective.

ah thanks, I thought not. So yay or nay on Yoda? I seem to remember that being yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember it being yes too, but you cannot use One in a Million on that reroll, as it is a reroll, not a roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
I remember it being yes too, but you cannot use One in a Million on that reroll, as it is a reroll, not a roll.

I only remember someone making that argument (that reroll is not a roll), but with no official answer from Corey. He did confirm that Yoda ring can be used on "Death Star Plans".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have been reading too much into the Concentrate Fire ruling too...

So I guess we don't have an official ruling after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I think I may have been reading too much into the Concentrate Fire ruling too...

I think Concentrate Fire is definitely out, for the reason that Scott mentioned. It's not technically part of space combat. The run on the death star takes place during a part of the combat when tactics cards can not be played.

The attacker rolls dice and plays tactics cards. The defender blocks.
The defender rolls dice and plays tactics cards. The attacker blocks.
Destroyed ships are removed.
Then you attempt to blow up the death star (if you have the plans and at least one surviving starfighter)

There is no reason to think Concentrate Fire would be legal at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I think Concentrate Fire is definitely out, for the reason that Scott mentioned.

Yes, that is very clear and I've always agreed. I just got confused by the way the ruling was posted and I thought it was making an argument about what can and can't be done with rerolls. This was all a misreading on my part.

What I meant above is we don't have an official ruling on whether One in a Million can be used when rerolling a die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I think Concentrate Fire is definitely out, for the reason that Scott mentioned. It's not technically part of space combat. The run on the death star takes place during a part of the combat when tactics cards can not be played.

The attacker rolls dice and plays tactics cards. The defender blocks.
The defender rolls dice and plays tactics cards. The attacker blocks.
Destroyed ships are removed.
Then you attempt to blow up the death star (if you have the plans and at least one surviving starfighter)

There is no reason to think Concentrate Fire would be legal at this point.

That's how I've always interpreted it. I don't consider the Death Star attack to be part of combat- in a way, it's almost a hybrid between combat and a mission. Whatever it is, it's definitely not a combat roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
What I meant above is we don't have an official ruling on whether One in a Million can be used when rerolling a die.

I would suspect that OiaM could actually be used as such. The card seems to gravitate that in any situation when having to roll a dice, even if it is a re-roll, you can modify and determine the fate of the result.

The fact that it could be used even on a re-roll may make it seem more over-powering, but it really isn't. It still is only a one time use ability and that can only be executed by only one of two leaders in the game. Even under the "worst case scenario" for the Empire: Rebels reveal DSP, fail the initial roll, use Yoda's reroll ability and then play OiaM to alter the dice and thereby gain 2 rep for destroying the Death Star, that's a lot of abilities that the Rebels will no longer be able to use for the rest of that round/game. And even if that 2 rep causes the Rebels to actually win? A LOT of other events throughout the rest of the game would had to of worked in the Rebel's favor to make a sequence like this be the critical turning point for the Rebels to achieve victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.