GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Grand Prix» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exiting the pits - close call rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Graham
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 9.2 states that a car exiting the pits does not suffer a close call penalty if it laterally displaces a car, but what if the card used for the movement has a close call token on the top? Does it have to take that penalty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
ragram wrote:
Rule 9.2 states that a car exiting the pits does not suffer a close call penalty if it laterally displaces a car, but what if the card used for the movement has a close call token on the top? Does it have to take that penalty?

Cars coming out of the pits do not suffer any of the penalties on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bule book wrote:
The Type of Movement, Wear marker, and text on the Race Card are ignored.

I would think this means the answer is no. It indicates to me that you only use the movement points & ignore all the rest. It's how I would play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ragram wrote:
Rule 9.2 states that a car exiting the pits does not suffer a close call penalty if it laterally displaces a car,...

I don't own the game yet, so am only lurking in the meantime. I find this rule interesting if it's as described above. Because in real F1 racing, such a close call would be penalized as an "unsafe release".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Steward
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An unsafe release is an incident on pit lane itself, not where the cars re-enter the track. Besides, the game is abstracted enough that cars are "exiting the pits" at any point around the track. It's more like the car exits the pits in traffic and is consequently battling for position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, OK. That clears it up.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit stops are pretty abstracted in GP/TA. The "pit lane" extends all the way around the track, so what the game is really doing is representing the lost track position from a pit stop, not actually driving down pit lane to your box, then driving back out. Once you grasp that, it really makes sense how it works. I really like how GP does it--5 sector lost (the base in/out delta), then additional sectors lost due to damage repair or tire changes. It's actually quite an elegant way of representing the overall effect in a race, and works well since the game abstracts a 50-70 lap event down to 3 laps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Steward
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I really like how GP does it--5 sector lost (the base in/out delta), then additional sectors lost due to damage repair or tire changes.

From section 9.1:

Quote:
Players may choose to remove any number of wear markers from any number of their pitted cars. Once the wear markers are removed, each car must move back a number of spaces equal to the sum total of the duration cost.

You only move back the duration cost of all removed wear tokens, not duration cost + 5. The pit delta is already represented by using the pit speed value of the card instead of its regular movement value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ODaly wrote:
claudermilk wrote:
I really like how GP does it--5 sector lost (the base in/out delta), then additional sectors lost due to damage repair or tire changes.

From section 9.1:

Quote:
Players may choose to remove any number of wear markers from any number of their pitted cars. Once the wear markers are removed, each car must move back a number of spaces equal to the sum total of the duration cost.

You only move back the duration cost of all removed wear tokens, not duration cost + 5. The pit delta is already represented by using the pit speed value of the card instead of its regular movement value.

surpriseblush D'oh! Well, at least we all screwed ourselves equally in the first couple of sessions. That's what I get with simply skimming the rules & relying on knowledge of TA rules (plus conflating similar Race! Formula 90 rules). No, I don't have too many race games... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.