Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and enjoy Harbour and I've heard it described as Tiny Epic Le Havre. It didn't take with my group however, so all my plays are solo. On the whole, Harbour is getting to be a bit too simple and I'm looking for a deeper game. Will Le Havre fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I have and enjoy Harbour and I've heard it described as Tiny Epic Le Havre. It didn't take with my group however, so all my plays are solo. On the whole, Harbour is getting to be a bit too simple and I'm looking for a deeper game. Will Le Havre fit the bill?

Le Havre is amazing. Just go for it! :D It is definitely a more complex game in terms of decisions. It is hard not to love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehhh.. Maybe?

I think the problem with the analogy is that while is fair to say that Harbor is a lite version of Le Havre, its not really fair to say that Le Havre is a big version of Harbor.

The thing about Harbour is that the heart of the game play lies is being able to manipulate the market into giving you a better return for your resources. Le Havre doesn't have any mechanic like that whatsoever. If you want to build a building in Le Havre, you have to have the exact resources printed on the card. There is no going to the market, selling the goods, and then buying what you need. (You actually can sell resources in Le Havre to buy buildings, but you can't do this until a certain building comes into play and even then in most cases this is an inefficient move.) When you do sell resources, the market is fixed so you don't have the market manipulation aspect that you do in Harbor. What the two games have in common is

1) Single worker placement
2) Using resources to acquire buildings
3) You get rewarded for other players using your buildings

Since you've rated Agricola an 8, I would say there is a good chance you will still like Le Havre. Its from the same designer. However, where Agricola feels like a constant struggle to get ahead, Le Havre is a game where resources are in abundance the puzzle is to figure out how to convert resources more efficiently than your opponents. But ultimately you need to think about Le Havre as a worker placement / resource conversion game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
fair to say that Harbor is a lite version of Le Havre

I agree with everything you wrote except this part -- and I disagree for the reasons laid out in the rest of your post. Similarities between these games are overblown, probably largely due to theme sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
Le Harve ranks as a 10 in my game list.
It is fantastic!
One of the best games I have ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
davypi wrote:
fair to say that Harbor is a lite version of Le Havre

I agree with everything you wrote except this part

At the end of the day, I think we just have to agree to disagree, but I admit that I don't think you're wrong either.

The other kind of similarity that the two games have is resource conversion. In Le Havre you have buildings that upgrade your resources (clay to brick). Harbor also has resource conversion although, unlike Le Havre, you aren't upgrading resources; you are just converting one basic resource into another. So I think the function of the buildings in two games are also similar. The relevant point here is that if you wanted to try to convert Le Havre into a 30 minute filler game, you would likely have to remove the "resource upgrade" mechanic. (Case in point, you don't have this in Inland Port either.) The various buildings that Harbour has do a good job of mimicking Le Havre's buildings and resource conversion once you consider that upgraded resources are gone. For a filler game Harbor does a decent job of condensing many of the Le Havre's mechanics. Similarly I'd rather player Harbour than play Inland Port, but I admit this is a highly subjective opinion.

The major sticking point in the comparison comes back to that market manipulation mechanic. Habour's gameplay relies on your ability to either predict what the market will look like when you're ready to buy or getting into the market one turn before the player to your right. Again, there is nothing like this in Le Havre at all and its a big enough shift to give the two games a very different feel. That said, if you took the market mechanic out of Harbour and had a fixed resource cost for building actions, I suspect you would agree that the game would be more like a "Le Havre lite."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:

Le Havre is amazing. Just go for it! It is definitely a more complex game in terms of decisions. It is hard not to love it!

I found it pretty easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Snakes et Lattes
Canada
flag msg tools
Proudly Alphabetical since 1989!
badge
The Wish Swing from Nuit Blanche 2007
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I've never played Harbour (now I have to look at it) but I've played over 200 games of solo Le Havre and it still is a rewarding experience. And once you get the hang of it, you can finish a solo game in under 45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.