Subject: Question about the Promo Card "Le tunnel avant l’arrivée en gare" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Hey there!

My gaming group and I were confused about the precise interpretation of the symbols on the promo card "Le tunnel avant l’arrivée en gare." (For more information about this expansion, view https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/189394/colt-exp...) We also looked at the translated instructions and couldn't arrive at a unanimous interpretation. Here's our point of confusion:

When this promo card is in play and a bandit is shot during a tunnel turn, which of the following interpretations is correct?
A) The gunman may have the targeted bandit drop any loot token, including jewels or strongboxes
B) The gunman may only have the bandit drop purse tokens (AKA money bags or coin bags)

This rule makes quite a difference on the outcome of the game, since it takes place on the last round card of the game. Our discussion went around and around, and the sides could not come to an agreement. Some translations of the rules seem to indicate one side, and some indicate the other. I'd be curious to know what the official ruling is on this matter.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly don't know the definitive answer to this, but the description of the card at the link you gave says, "... during the tunnel rounds whenever a bandit is hit with a gun he has to let a purse drop to the ground, exactly as happens when you get a punch."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Based on the rules and the iconography as it is used on other cards, it should be the PURSE only. Not jewels and not strongboxes.

Compare it to Pickpocketing and Marshal's Revenge from the core game Events. Both depict a purse and both state specifically purses, with MR further clarifying it cannot be anything else.

They probably confused things saying it works like a punch but I think they mean in how it is randomly selected and that you can't look at it. Seems less confusing to actually just say that, but whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response, guys!

I absolutely agree with your interpretation, both because the translation seems to single out specifically coin purse tokens, and because that particular iconography has always indicated "ONLY coin purses."

You're correct that the other guys latched onto the phrase "as if they were punched" and claimed that it introduced a gray area about which tokens could be dropped. I suspect that Ludonaute included that phrase to indicate that the (purse) token is dropped using typical dropping rules (for example, if you're on the roof of the train, the token then falls to the bottom floor, just as if you were punched...as well as the blind selection you mentioned) So, I think Ludonaute was trying to aid understanding, but, at least for my group, it actually would have been less confusing if they'd left that particular phrase out. It just introduces the possibility of other interpretations. I agree that all of the evidence points to it just meaning that only coin purses may be dropped, though!

Thanks again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
That being said, I'd still love to hear an official ruling from Ludonaute or the creators, because the untranslated French text itself actually seems to indicate that Loot tokens, in general, can be dropped.

In the official French rulebook, the word "butin" means "Loot", whereas the word "bourses" means "coin purse." With that in mind, here's the French rules for this promo card:

Pendant tous les tours de tunnel, les tirs permettent de faire tomber un butin exactement comme si on donnait un coup de poing.

Notice that bourses is never mentioned, whereas the general term for loot tokens is specifically used.

Therefore, using these rules and my limited familiarity with the French language, it's certainly arguable that we could all be wrong, and that ANY loot tokens may be dropped when shot in the tunnels.

Just playing devil's advocate (against myself, lol)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KoshKing777 wrote:
I suspect that Ludonaute included that phrase to indicate that the (purse) token is dropped using typical dropping rules (for example, if you're on the roof of the train, the token then falls to the bottom floor, just as if you were punched...as well as the blind selection you mentioned)

Where do you get this rule? I am not aware of it. The example in the rule book under punch clearly shows the dropped purse on the roof of the car. "Floor" is probably better translated as level. If you are in the car, you drop in the car. If you ar on top of the car, you drop on top of the car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rulebook uses the word "floor" to mean level. Here's is the rule for Punch from page 4 of the rulebook:

"Choose a target among the Bandits who are on the same Car and same floor as you are. The targeted Bandit loses a Loot token if he has one: choose a Loot token from his Character card and place it on the floor where your Bandit pawn is located."

So, if you get punched inside a car, the loot goes at the bandit's feet in the car, but if you get punched on the roof, the loot goes at the bandit's feet on the roof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Well, that's certainly an embarrassing mistake on my part (regarding the rules about what floor the loot is placed on)! It seems pretty cut and dry in the rules. I've been playing the game incorrectly all along! XD Thanks for educating me.

My question still stands, though, about what kind of loot truly can be dropped when you're shot in a tunnel when using the promo card...as far as I can tell from the original French rules, it DOES seem to be the case that any loot token may be dropped.

(Shrugs) For now, I'll make it a house interpretation that goes by the iconography, only allowing coin purses (AKA money bags) to be dropped. I'm always up for hearing everyone's thoughts, though! (And thanks so much to those of you that already responded!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne-Cécile Lefebvre
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi
You are right, the various versions of the rules for this card are not coherent.whistle
The official answer is:
Any bandit shot during this round must let a purse (if he has one) fall down on the floor when he is hit.
Hope it will help you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The French makes it sound like it could be any loot. But I am wondering if it was just loose terminology or if Plato made a mistake.

I think taking the iconography as the basis for the house interpretation is the best way for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Another thing that was bugging me whether the special effect applies only to "tunnel actions" or the whole round - but the post above seems to clarify that issue as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Don Sombrero wrote:
Another thing that was bugging me whether the special effect applies only to "tunnel actions" or the whole round - but the post above seems to clarify that issue as well.

Well, I would get clarification on that in case the above was again loose terminology. The rules are pretty specific in the French and English that it is is only the tunnel rounds. The response was directed at the loot versus purse question so Anne-Cécile may have inadvertently implied whole round without meaning to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification, Anne-Cécile! My friends and I are glad we got an official answer on the coin purse question.

Regarding the subsequent comments, I concur that the coin purses are only dropped during the tunnel rounds, as that much IS made clear in the rules in both translations. I also think ColtsFan76 is correct regarding Anne-Cécile's intended meaning.

Thanks again, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.