Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first time in a very long time, everyone at the table had played Robo Rally before. Unfortunately, one player was returning from a 10 year hiatus, so a fairly simple course felt reasonable. Also, we were a bit pressed for time, so we settled for a fairly short race.

The board was Exchange, with the starting point in the quarter near the double wrench. The first checkpoint was next to the gear in the quarter where the “Exchange” text was printed, the second one was diagonally across the board from there, close the the only laser on the board. The third and final checkpoint was fairly close to the first one, forcing the leader to go back and meet the other robots.

My first draw did not allow for any fancy moves towards the first checkpoint, but it did allow me to reach the double wrench. With that detour being fairly short, I gladly went for a option card. While all other robots spread out all over the place, me and Spin Bot managed to follow each other step for step. He got the Turret, and I got the Mechanical Arm.
Twitch made an early mistake, came close to dying twice, but somehow managed to only be way of course.

With everyone being so spread out, only a handful of lasers managed to hit anything at first, but once we moved in on the first checkpoint things changed.
I was first to tag that checkpoint thanks to my option card, but I got so shot full of lasers that I had to power down with one register locked. Trundle Bot suffered the same fate, but without the benefit of having reached the first checkpoint.

While we were down and out, Twitch moved out of nowhere and got the first checkpoint, and then made a fairly good sprint towards the second one. Staying away from everyone else is usually a good thing.
At the same time, both Spin Bot and Twonky got pushed, resulting in both of them falling down holes. Squash Bot ended the turn with three locked registers, but had cleverly announced a power down. Also, he somehow managed to get the first checkpoint in the middle of that mess.

However, as Trundle Bot powered up, he immediately pushed Squash Bot onto a conveyer belt, sending him of the board. Both Spin Bot and Twonky managed to grab the first checkpoint.
Meanwhile, I went after the second checkpoint, trying to catch up with Twitch. Luckily for me, I had a really good hand. Twitch did not. Also, I had my Mechanical Arm, so I only needed two turns to take back the lead.

And, as it would turn out, one more turn to win the game. I had thought the placement of the last checkpoint was moderately difficult, but with the Mechanical Arm around, it was rather easy to reach.
While I picked up the victory, Twitch managed to reach the second checkpoint, while Trundle Bot finally got the first one. Quite surprising, as that player tends to be one of the top contenders in just about every game of Robo Rally.

Anyway, I think everyone I play with regularly now have played a few games of Robo Rally, so the next race should be on a more challenging course. Unless the new version hits the stores first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many remove the Mechanical Arm for precisely the reasons listed here.

Glad you had a good rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Many remove the Mechanical Arm for precisely the reasons listed here.

Glad you had a good rally.

Mechanical Arm is easy mode.
We do remove it from the game unless there is a new player so he/she can be competitive with the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck is "FTW"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:
What the heck is "FTW"?

"Mechanical Arm For The Win."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this was the first time I've drawn Mechanical Arm, so I was not prepared for how easy the game would become with it.
Maybe I'll go through the options and sort them into two or three piles depending on how much they help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:
What the heck is "FTW"?

In my time it meant F*** The World, and I still find the new use jarring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.