$35.00
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Quartermaster General it was legal to battle an empty space to get a 'reaction,' can you battl an empty space in VoD to allow the second part of an event to occur, or a prepare card, or status card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been assuming it is legal, but hadn't noticed until now that the rules don't say so.

Judge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,

but I can't think of a reason that you would. IIRC, I took the specific sentence out of the rules when I realized there was no good reason to do so, but maybe I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Lee
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
Yes,

but I can't think of a reason that you would. IIRC, I took the specific sentence out of the rules when I realized there was no good reason to do so, but maybe I missed something?

For example, Sparta has the following Status cards on the table:
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are, but where they are
Quote:
Use once per turn, after you battle a Land space. Discard a Land Battle card from your hand to battle a space with a Demo Hoplite

Contempt for Death
Quote:
Use once per turn, after you Muster a Hoplite. Discard a Land Battle card from your hand to battle a Land space adjacent to the Hoplite just mustered.

Sparta has Hoplites in Argos, Megara, and Attica, and a City in Laconia. He plays a Muster Hoplite card to Muster a Hoplite in Laconia (to protect its city) but also wants to Battle Athenian Hoplite in Athens. So Sparta triggers "Contempt for Death" to Battle Messenia, an empty province (can it even Battle Argo, which is friendly? Of course it cannot take away the friendly Hoplite there.); then trigger "The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are, but where they are" to Battle Athens, where there is a Hoplite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha!

OK, well played! Yes, you can battle an empty space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anguslee wrote:
can it even Battle Argo, which is friendly? Of course it cannot take away the friendly Hoplite there.)

But this, as in QMG, is not allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe P
France
Gévezé
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As rulebook says:
Quote:
Choose an enemy piece in the space battled and remove it from the board.

and
Quote:
Choose an enemy Trireme in the space battled

You have to target an ennemy piece, so imo you cannot target an empty space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yencool wrote:
You have to target an ennemy piece, so imo you cannot target an empty space

Already answered!

IanBrody wrote:
Yes, you can battle an empty space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.