Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Harrison
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During Strategic Redeployment
- A general doubles the movement factor.
- Attrition is checked if a unit moves more than its printed movement.

- Can a unit force march during Strategic Redeployment?
- Does the attrition check apply when a unit with a general exceeds its printed movement, or only when it exceeds twice its printed movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

It's not explicitly stated in the rules but it seems quite clear to me that you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good rules writing focuses on what you CAN do not on what you CANNOT do. You won't find a rule stating you cannot do this or that.

Look at the order of play. See where the action you wish to do falls in the order.

Movement is not Strategic Redeployment.

You should be able to answer your own question about attrition Daniel.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Well that's a bit of an odd reply.

"Good rules writing..." etc. Surely you agree that it would have been a good idea to include a passage that specified that Forced march was a feature to be used only in the Activation phase?

"Movement is not Strategic Redeployment". That's exactly the problem. It would have been easy to make that distinction but the way the rules are written it's not made clear.

If you're an experienced gamer like I am and you seem to be, it's fairly easy to conclude how the rules are supposed to be interpreted. But for those without that experience it helps when rulebooks are well written, and that's not the case here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize Martin. My post was directed to the OP, not to you and I should have been more clear on that mark.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harrison
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Good rules writing focuses on what you CAN do not on what you CANNOT do. You won't find a rule stating you cannot do this or that

I beg to differ, what you cannot do, is often referred to as 'exceptions'. For example you cannot Intercept during SR due to a specific exception.

Redeployment is referred to as movement, and makes special mention that attrition is checked when exceeding the 'printed' movement, not only when doubling the movement due to leader.

Forced march adds 1-3 MPs to movement.

A possible interpretation is that units can force march during SR, but must check attrition. A leader-led stack 'double-timing', may or may not force march, but will need to check attrition even if it does not.

I think this above interpretation is wrong however. Because forced march states that it applies to 'activated' units. And SR units are not 'activated'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I did write "good" rules writing would focus on what is allowed rather than what is not allowed.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.