United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape.

Players : Countzero, Rob

Played my first game of heroscape last night after bagging it in an Argos bargin hunt. Initial impressions were good, opened up the box to find lots of pieces, and I mean lots of pieces. Read the rules before hand so knew what to expect.

Game time arrived and after opening up a beer we set to work building the map for the first scenario. This took a little bit of time as we got a little confussed with the water tiles. Once everything was put together it was bigger than I exxpected and did look impressive.

As we were playing the first scenario the armies were pre-prepared and I went with the "evil" guys which included the rather large dinosaur riding orc. Aquick recap of the rules and we started play.
The rounds played well, very simple even though we were using the master rules set. My samurai stormed into combat only to be picked off one by one by the vikings with there defense buffs of the winged figure (Sorry I can't remember there names). Slowly my guys were dying while my heroes were running in to support them.

By round 3 I only had 2 figures left and Rob was still on his full compliment. The dinosaur made short work of the viking hero character eating him with his chomp attack, but numbers were against him and he fell in the next round. Meanwhile my last heroe was franticly trying to mind controll some vikings in an attempt to improve the odds but to no avail. He faught on for another round but the numbers were against him and he too fell to the viking horde.

After the game we had a chat about it and both aggreed it was a good game, it made a change from our typical euro fare but seemed to be a little too easy/simple. I know that other scenarios bring in ranged combat and a few extra powers but i'm not sure if thats enough.

Maybe I need something more avancedand i'm not appreiating that Heroscape is aged at a younger audience.
Still, happy that I played it, and even happier that it only cost me £15 rather than £40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
count-zero wrote:

As we were playing the first scenario the armies were pre-prepared and I went with the "evil" guys which included the rather large dinosaur riding orc. Aquick recap of the rules and we started play.

Ooops. Those two scenarios with pre-prepared forces are intended for the Basic rules, and the armies are only really balanced when playing Basic. Which you should never, ever do with anyone older than 9. Using Master rules, the side with Grimnak on it is a bit light. (The other Basic scenario has one side at a severe disadvantage with the Master rules, by the way.)

Play the Master Rules, and draft, draft, draft your armies. Don't like the Samurai? Don't draft them then (but try them with that defence-buffing winged gal, Raelin, before you write them off). Even with the restricted range of figures in the Master Set there's a lot of scope for experimenting and counter-drafting.

Quote:

By round 3 I only had 2 figures left and Rob was still on his full compliment.

I never fail to be surprised at just how often Heroscape can see one player beaten down to just one or two figures, before making a truly probability-defying come-back. Though sometimes you just get to take the beating without the comeback.

Quote:

After the game we had a chat about it and both aggreed it was a good game, it made a change from our typical euro fare but seemed to be a little too easy/simple. I know that other scenarios bring in ranged combat and a few extra powers but i'm not sure if thats enough.

The draft, with the extra level of tactics that brings in, ought to help add that "extra something". And the different battlefields demand different armies (or at least different tactics). Though there are few tactical situations that can't be improved by rolling all skulls/all shields as required

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, I gathered that the first scenario was a bit of a hand holding exercise.

I will give it another go later in the month and try a draft approach.

I think I was a bit disappointed after reading all the articles/sessions and looking at the bits on the web so much I was probably expecting more.

Still, I am sure my kids will enjoy it in a couple of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I find interesting about the game is that it is a giant Rock-Paper-Scissors (albeit with a lot more tactics). You've got to match your strengths versus the opponent's weaknesses, both in the draft and especially in the game. How best can you kill the opponent's Sgt Drake? Should you stuff the vikings straight into the fight early, while Syvarris is sniping at them, or do you baby them for the first two or three turns, and counter Syvarris with the Krav? WHat should you do if Sy has the high ground? Or could you beat him too it with a lucky beserk roll from the norsemen?

And if the opponent's trying to do the same, what can YOU do to mess with his plans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.