Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently decided that it was time to bring some variety into my base game of Escape but I really didn't want to spend $$$ money on the official box expansions, for which I found maybe some value but not enough for the prices Queen was asking for. So I was thrilled to see I could buy the miniature Queenie expansions at the BGG Store for a comparatively nominal price. This way I could customize the base game the way I saw fit.

The Good: I settled on Queenies 6 and 9 only and felt that I got relatively good value for what I purchased.

The Bad: I was actually very underwhelmed by the other Queenies and of course, the box Expansions. Some of the Queen and/or expansions didn't seem all that creative and/or seemed suboptimal. As I read through the game forums here, there were several fan made variants which seemed very cool and actually appeared to be much better than what Queen was offering.

The Hope?: I found this link and there are some really awesome ideas that I like. http://www.dustinormond.com/blog/escape-curse-of-the-temple-...

The Question: So how does one even go down the route of creating a DIY custom file? What is the step by step process for doing so, so that the DIY tiles don't look out of place with the rest of the game?

Many thanks. And See Also: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1224092/blank-tiles-bla...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to make custom tiles, I think, would be to buy a base set of escape and print stickers to go over the tiles. That way the backs are the same and don't stand out negatively at all.

Also, I'd recommend the Quests expansion as that's been what's pushed the game through 30 plays for us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:

Also, I'd recommend the Quests expansion as that's been what's pushed the game through 30 plays for us

The quests are actually what pushed me through 100 of games when designing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaesthetic wrote:
aaj94 wrote:

The quests are actually what pushed me through 100 of games when designing the game

Not sure what Queen games has planned, but we would buy a 'Quests II' expansion in a heartbeat! They're by far the freshest part of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been very content with the base game. Its one of my favorite games, if you look at my ratings. Queenies 6 and 9 I think will add to it immeasurably.

I have noticed that it seems you get less and less hardware with each subsequent Queenie release, however. For $5, I would think that getting at least two new chambers, a curse or two and a treasure or two provides value.

The Maze Queenie provides the most value thus far, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the best expansion is Quests. Even though it looks like not much comes in the box, it does add a whole lot of gameplay and variety. (And I have 99 logged plays of the game )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Those are some pretty cool tiles in the pdf!

Some other ideas:

- scan in the original tiles and print them out on cardstock so that all tiles are the same.

- Print out the pdf on cardstock and set them aside with a number associated with each one (ex. 1-6 or 1-8) and have a die available with that range of numbers. Mark a subset of tiles and when a marked one is revealed, Roll the die and overlay it with the corresponding printed tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sounds like a good idea (quote aaj94's suggestion).. Edit a scanned tile, print a sticker, slap it on, and BAM. New tile.

Noice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Agree with Maze and Quest Chambers. But in terms of extra gameplay, I really think that the Maya Calendar (if they're still selling it) is very underrated. It adds a lot of strategic freshness to the base game, especially in solo games and works great with things like the Gears room from the Maze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.