$30.00
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
So, these couple of days I've been carving for designing a new game, maybe a light one (because the ones i'm currently designing are pretty big), but i really have no idea of what can i do, so... what do you guys do in this case? have you ever wanted to put all your imagination into somemthing but you dont have that something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in infinite design space. That can be a real hindrance to creativity!

Constraints really help here. Give yourself limits. You said you wanted to do a light game, so set some rules, like one or more of these:

* Must be playable in 30 minutes or less.
* Must have 18 or fewer cards.
* Must be about space stations.
* Must not have any cards.
* Game rules must fit on a single sheet of paper.
* Must take up to 8 players.
* Must be about camels.
* Must be playable with a standard deck of cards.

...and so on.

Of course, if you see the potential for a good game if you violate a core design constraint, that's a good opportunity to lift the constraint. But at that point, the constraint has done its job and gotten you on the trail of a promising design.

Good luck!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the PNP design contests here on BGG for some fun constraints as Gil mentioned!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like thematic games. Several forum threads here on BGG about under-utilized themes ... maybe one of those provides some inspiration?

We don't seem to have a card/dice/mini based cyberpunk dungeon crawler yet
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
You're in infinite design space. That can be a real hindrance to creativity!

Constraints really help here. Give yourself limits. You said you wanted to do a light game, so set some rules, like one or more of these:

* Must be playable in 30 minutes or less.
* Must have 18 or fewer cards.
* Must be about space stations.
* Must not have any cards.
* Game rules must fit on a single sheet of paper.
* Must take up to 8 players.
* Must be about camels.
* Must be playable with a standard deck of cards.

...and so on.

Of course, if you see the potential for a good game if you violate a core design constraint, that's a good opportunity to lift the constraint. But at that point, the constraint has done its job and gotten you on the trail of a promising design.

Good luck!


Space Camel Deck Duel! A game of space station battles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
crazybyzantine wrote:
I like thematic games. Several forum threads here on BGG about under-utilized themes ... maybe one of those provides some inspiration?

We don't seem to have a card/dice/mini based cyberpunk dungeon crawler yet

tht sounds sweeeeeeeet, i love cyber punk xd
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
IngredientX wrote:
You're in infinite design space. That can be a real hindrance to creativity!

Constraints really help here. Give yourself limits. You said you wanted to do a light game, so set some rules, like one or more of these:

* Must be playable in 30 minutes or less.
* Must have 18 or fewer cards.
* Must be about space stations.
* Must not have any cards.
* Game rules must fit on a single sheet of paper.
* Must take up to 8 players.
* Must be about camels.
* Must be playable with a standard deck of cards.

...and so on.

Of course, if you see the potential for a good game if you violate a core design constraint, that's a good opportunity to lift the constraint. But at that point, the constraint has done its job and gotten you on the trail of a promising design.

Good luck!


thtas really helpful, thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
So, these couple of days I've been craving for designing a new game, maybe a light one (because the ones i'm currently designing are pretty big), but i really have no idea of what can i do, so... what do you guys do in this case?

I get inspired by reading through Geeklists like these:

o What Specific Game Mechanics Make You Say "Cool!"
o Most Brilliant Single Piece of Game Design Ever

For more, click on a tag at the top of the Geeklist (e.g. cool mechanisms).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
davidf wrote:

I get inspired by reading through Geeklists like these:

o What Specific Game Mechanics Make You Say "Cool!"
o Most Brilliant Single Piece of Game Design Ever

For more, click on a tag at the top of the Geeklist (e.g. cool mechanisms).

i gotta check that out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kline
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
www.MysticTigerGames.com
badge
www.MysticTigerGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that one of the best rules for making a game, given no other starting seed, is 'make the game you want to play'.

If you're looking to make a light game, then take a hard look at other light games you've played. What's your favorite one? Take your favorite light game, and start dissecting it. What mechanics does it use? Which of them do you like? Which don't you like? Remove the bits you don't care for, maybe add in mechanics from other games. Mix, match, rearrange. When you have a coherent idea (doesn't have to be good), create a prototype and test it. From there, it's just iterations of improve and re-test until you get to something fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
The good news is you have some creativity in you that just wants to get out. The bad news is that you have to start something, don't just linger, otherwise that small bubble of imaginations and desire goes away.

So, start something right now, don't wait for people to tell you what. Just do something you feel you would like working on. The start is the hardest because adding work on top of the foundation is easier. But remember to not stop half way through, though.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
i followed your advices and i'm designing a card game about battles, the theme is not defined completely, but i'm working with mechanics i like
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.