Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have had R&B for a while now... bought it when I bought FCM and just bundled it all together for the cheap shipping from Splotter direct.

A while back, I punched it and organized it and read through the rules. Just this week I finally got it out, read rules again and tried to play through a 2p game to learn the mechanics. After some slow turns (lots of checking the rulebook to clarify things I kind of lost interest in the 2p scenario... was getting some rules wrong and decided to scrap it and try a 1p game so I could just focus on one player and make progress through the tech tree more quickly.

I got through about 5 turns in the River Runs Through it Scenario and I'm not sure I've had anything that resembles fun yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not packing it up and selling it tomorrow... It just feels unbelievably fiddly and dry. The restrictions on no 2 buildings on the same tile put a premium on knowing the game, the progression through the tech, etc. and since I don't have those things, I'm just flailing around.

Clearly this is a great rules system that allows for scenario solving and for some that is a delight. Actually, I usually like solving puzzles, but the fiddliness is just outrageous.

Is there a better starter map for me to explore and play around with? Will the introduction of better transporters (trucks, boats, etc.) bring out the fun or will it just become more brain burny and fiddly with way more pieces on the board?

For reference... I own and love Food Chain Magnate (I know it's a very different game), I own and love the original Through the Ages and many other heavy Euro style games. One of my favorite games is The New Science with its tech tree front and center. I really thought I would love this game, but thus far, I'm struggling to work up the energy to finish this 20 turn 1p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a logistics puzzle through and through. I enjoy the sequencing and planning the arc of my game. The game is super fiddly, very dry, and there's not a lot of excitement or surprise unless you play a confrontational multi-player game.

I don't think about fun very much when I'm processing my thoughts on games. I think more about engagement. I don't play R&B a lot, but when I do I find the puzzle quite engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
The restrictions on no 2 buildings on the same tile put a premium on knowing the game, the progression through the tech, etc. and since I don't have those things, I'm just flailing around.

This ^^

The first time we played it was the same experience. Four plays into it and we're getting better, and it is super engaging. This is a game you learn over multiple plays, not a game you pick up and play well the first time. It's a very deep puzzle.

There is a session report that captures the game play experience of Roads and Boats perfectly in it's title alone here in the forums. The report is good too, but that title is a very concise representation of what playing Roads and Boats is to me And I love it (the game).

An outside observer might have thought we were just having an incredibly long staring contest with a table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is fun. Due to everything already written above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Fun" might not be the right word.
With 2 or more players, it can be very intense, and sometimes incredibly violent (yes !), but not really fun

The rules are quite simple after a few turns, and shouldn't be a trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire is very different from the normal game. R&B is best with 3 or 4 on a water-heavy map. Water tends to enable interaction because boats can move further early on. Don't use the intro maps or anything as they are quite dull.

I have rehabilitated peoples opinions of this game before by having them play on an asymmetric water-heavy map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats and FCM are both in my top five. But depending on the map, it definitely can be just a multiplayer (or single-player) solitaire puzzle-solving game. As the others have noticed, increasing the amount of water on the map tends to also increase the player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The solo variant of Roads and Boats is a deep and immersive logistics and resource conversion planning puzzle. There is zero luck: how well you do is entirely up to your skill, and that is why it is my favorite game.

The multiplayer version is one of the most versatile games that I'm aware of, in terms of interaction level. If you want a knife fight, you can do that (just see how far your opponent gets after you've stolen their geese!), or as true multiplayer solitaire. My wife and I often even play cooperatively - setting up roads and production buildings on our borders to trade goods.

A River Runs Through It is actually a moderately difficult solo map. The rivers block easy access to the tiles you need and the 20 turn limit forces you to plan carefully and be efficient. Try the Worlds Apart map for an easier learning game. But I would add, if you aren't immersed in the puzzle and thrilled to have produced a measly few stock certificates by game end, then probably the solo game isn't for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Try the Worlds Apart map for an easier learning game. But I would add, if you aren't immersed in the puzzle and thrilled to have produced a measly few stock certificates by game end, then probably the solo game isn't for you!

Where could i find The Worlds Apart map ?
It is not referenced on Splotter's website.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
fdubois wrote:
quill65 wrote:
Try the Worlds Apart map for an easier learning game. But I would add, if you aren't immersed in the puzzle and thrilled to have produced a measly few stock certificates by game end, then probably the solo game isn't for you!

Where could i find The Worlds Apart map ?
It is not referenced on Splotter's website.
Thanks.

Is it not in the rulebook? I don't have it handy but I thought it was, I think under the 4 player game map suggestions. BTW there are a number of alternate maps in the R&B files section.

edit: It's in the scenario booklet, 4th edition, page 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maniscalco
United States
Matawan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game shines in multiplayer where you are competing for resources and stealing others' resources. There is also the race to the higher resources and getting to the mines before others do. It all depends on who you are playing with and how you layout your map. Haven't played solo, but I've enjoyed this game thoroughly each time I've played it multiplayer. 3 players is probably ideal. Although I imagine 4 players can be quite a hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.