Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
These questions came up in a recent game and I'm hoping for an official answer:

1 What is the timing for "Exit Strategy"?

I'm assuming that it fits in the category of "most" cards that take effect during the Purchase Phase.

That is, it *cannot* be used to convert coins which were acquired during the "end of round" from exchanging money bags acquired that round? Like other uses of coins, they can only be converted into victory points if you start with the coins on the turn you wish to convert them.

Yes? No?

2 How should the symbols be interpreted for the "Imbalanced Scales" card?

On one hand, they match the other "give up a die for X effect" iconography, which would indicate that DURING the Purchase Phase you can return a gold bag die to get two coins.

On the other hand, the player aid uses that symbol to show that gold bags are turned in for coins during the "end of round".

Going by the rules, it definitely appears one way, but taking into account the player aid, it seems to indicate another way. The core question is, "does Imbalanced Scales" break the usual sequence of turning gold bags into coins.

We ruled that gold bags are only ever turned into coins during the "end of round", and it's at that point that you get 2 coins per bag. The card ruling text is predicated on the correct interpretation and isn't enough to make a firm decision.

3 If we interpreted these 2 cases correctly, that means that there is no way for a player to use these cards to get victory points from Gold Bags collected in the final round of the game. The best you could do is get a lot of money in the final round which might win you the 3 point "most coins" end game bonus.

However, it kind of feels like these cards are supposed to be used together and not being able to take advantage of them in the final round seems against the spirit of the game. Then again maybe not??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Yes, exit strategy needs to be used during the purchase phase as normal.

2: Imbalanced scales triggers whenever the appropriate thing happens (which currently is just at the end of your turn).

3: These two cards work well together, just not on the very last turn.

(Broadly speaking, the card list on the back of the rules is pretty consistent in terminology- things that are once per turn are indicated as such, things that trigger upon certain events happening indicate that as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
1: Yes, exit strategy needs to be used during the purchase phase as normal.

2: Imbalanced scales triggers whenever the appropriate thing happens (which currently is just at the end of your turn).

3: These two cards work well together, just not on the very last turn.

(Broadly speaking, the card list on the back of the rules is pretty consistent in terminology- things that are once per turn are indicated as such, things that trigger upon certain events happening indicate that as well.)

Thanks.

The main confusion was the iconography with Imbalanced Scales.

The other question was simply due to it seeming a bit odd that a C card was totally useless in the last round of a game that only lasts a few rounds.

The rules do all line up though. We played it correctly. Just wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this post when you first posted it. I knew the answer, but Andy beat me to it.

So, in my latest play of this what did I end up doing? I bought both these cards and tried using them in the last round anyway! I realized my error soon enough, missed out on a lot of points I thought I had...still won though

It is a nice combo to have though (before last round)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.