Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a batter with +1 speed makes contact, and the run phase rolls are 4 and 5 for batter and pitcher respectively, does the runner make it to first base?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the runner is safe at 1st bast as the rules state that ties go to the runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indianajo883 wrote:
I would say that the runner is safe at 1st bast as the rules state that ties go to the runner.

I second that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolga wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:

I second that.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I'm mostly wondering because the rules say that speed +1 "adjusts the number needed to be rolled for a runner to be safe"
(quoted from rules.) That wording implies that the ability doesn't actually modify the die roll, but rather the target number, which is an important distinction since in the latter case, the runner would be out in my example given above.

But, the fact that the ability is called speed +1 certainly suggests that it's the die roll you're adjusting.

Anyhow, I'll probably play it as you advise. It does make the ability more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason that we phrased it "lower the required number" is that you can't ever modify a die higher than 6, so a run phase roll of 6 with speed +1 is still 6. However, this is all just semantics, whether the batter reached base on a 4 (target 4-6) or on a 5 (4+1, target 5-6), ties go to the runner.

SAFE!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mullins014 wrote:
The reason that we phrased it "lower the required number" is that you can't ever modify a die higher than 6, so a run phase roll of 6 with speed +1 is still 6. However, this is all just semantics, whether the batter reached base on a 4 (target 4-6) or on a 5 (4+1, target 5-6), ties go to the runner.

SAFE!!

Hi Mike,

First, brilliant game. I finally got to play two player last night, and oh what fun.

At the risk of coming across as daft, let me just make sure I'm 100% on this - if my batter with speed +1 rolls a natural 4 vs. the pitcher's natural 5, the runner is still safe, being considered to have tied the pitcher's 5?

Thanks again for the wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
At the risk of coming across as daft, let me just make sure I'm 100% on this - if my batter with speed +1 rolls a natural 4 vs. the pitcher's natural 5, the runner is still safe, being considered to have tied the pitcher's 5?

Thanks again for the wonderful game.

That's exactly correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.