Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not asking about the rules but rather the overall feel of doing such a thing. In Scen 7 there's a particular objective that's in a woods hex. Needing the VPs I decided just to drive one of my tanks up there and abandon the vehicle to take it. Now I ended up running out of time before I could but that's besides the point. I'm mostly just asking if that's a gamie move or if there are examples of crews getting out of their tanks to accomplish an objective. One of the oddities of abandoning the vehicle, according to the rules, is it's removed from the game. I'm not sure why the guys couldn't get right back in a perfectly fine tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't gotten FF to the table yet, my take on it is that it's a strictly game sleeze move. 'Course, if the rules allow it, then so be it, but I can't imagine it's something a real tank crew would do for any reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If someone had done that playing against me, I would have said: "well done".

Sure it's a "gamey" move. I and the people I play with normally try to stay away from really gamey maneuvers, but consider that the rules aren't very flexible when it comes to controlling hexes. Wouldn't a (platoon of) tanks parked at the edge of the woods be fairly discouraging for any enemy infantry planning a picnic nearby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how did something happen.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that a tank cannot move into the hex you needed to take then I'd say it was NOT a gamey move. It's allowable and if you think about it why wouldn't a tank crew abandon the tank (really just exiting it in this case despite the rules forcing the tank itself to be removed) in order to occupy a high priority objective?

Maybe they needed to grab some enemy officer or disrupt a radio transmission or stop a forward observer from calling in artillery - who knows? It was their objective to take and they took it.

To me it was thinking outside the box and a perfectly reasonable thing to do given the situation.

Good move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Interesting realism question. Most tank crews seem to have been really loathe to get out of their vehicles unless they were damaged (especially in a penetration). On the other hand, U.S. doctrine called for the commander to dismount and either scout forward or spot for fall of shot.

The U.S. Army did end up equipping each M4 with a ridiculous 5 SMGs (http://www.theshermantank.com/tank-accessories/the-small-arm...) in addition to two dozen or so grenades and tripods for the MGs! Somebody must have considered that the crews might fight dismounted. I don't think other nations equipped their crews so lavishly, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.