Subject: Nov 25th KS - expectations for CURRENT owners of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This thread is just to brainstorm what current owners of KD:M expect from the KD:M reprint Kickstarter. I really hope that -since we have been faithful supporters of this marvellous game-, Mr. Poots has interesting stuff for us too. For instance, I would love to see:

- A complete 1.4 upgrade pack. Please don't force us to buy a new game or house make the new items to be up to date.

- Sets of survivor miniatures (such as the first KS survivor level pledge box) so that we can further customise our guys. The number of gear combinations is overwhelming XD.

- Current expansions included in the campaign and purchasable separately.

- Maybe new expansions to increase the KD:M world even more. All the new minis released are awesome -as always- and we want game content for them!

Feel free to comment or share your opinions. Please stay focused on what CURRENT owners of the game would expect.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He has already mentioned upgrade packs a few times so that is definitely on the cards. I guess a lower level pledge that contains all stretch goals and extras without another full copy of the game would be cool. I am sure there will be a bunch of new and old pinups which will appeal to whoever missed out or didn't get them the first time. Personally I don't expect too much for this one, get the game reprinted in high quantity at some profit to KD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I hear ya! That said, lets be real for a moment;

I fully expect current KDM owners to get the shaft in numerous of exciting ways in terms of 1.4 update or whatever and fall onto their sword by backing it again. Then, I also expect the new KS fulfilment to take until January 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We already got "The Doctor" and "The Chef" right now, but if he will release "The Logistics Manager" and "The well-informed Support Guy" as add-ons, I'll totally clear my bank account and go all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to wait the v1.4 upgrade pack for a year (or three), so I really hope they won't add it to the KS.

But instead I'd like to see some new expansion releases for Frogdog, Wet Nurse and Nightmare Ram (+ others), which has been talked for a while if I have understood right?

Hope they have some lower level pledges with only new stuff for us who own the base game and the full catalogue of current expansions (and no, we don't want to see them ridiculously low-priced either)..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what Olli said, PLUS:

Something no one had ever heard before. EVER.

And I personally hope that Lantern Festival will once again be available as add-on, for those who missed out on the first KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
Exactly what Olli said, PLUS:

Something no one had ever heard before. EVER.

And I personally hope that Lantern Festival will once again be available as add-on, for those who missed out on the first KS.

Yes, something totally new would be awesome! Well, damn, this game has brought back our childhood holidays — you never know what there will be waiting for you. Only thing you know for sure is that it's going to be some crazy cool stuff.

My wild guess is that Lantern Festival will be available in store next Black Friday. It's produced already (I hope) and won't need the KS money anymore. Except for a new print run, maybe. Please don't prove me wrong. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I hope we can get Lantern Festival this October on a sale, then get onboard the new ks with new content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Mitchell
msg tools
Hmm, I was thinking about this last night. While I'm probably over pessimistic about the amount that will be raised from this kickstarter, things that I'd really like to see are:

* New expansions - In particular, one that significantly updates the Hunt phase - I personally think it's the weakest phase of the game and, from my experience, seems to most turn off new players due to its punishing randomness. I don't really want it to be easier, but something to give players a sense of more control (real, or imagined).

* RPG Hard Plastic - While I know they aren't yet fully integrated into KDM, the RPG line (Fighter, Mage, Druid, etc...) are really nice sculpts and I'd love to seem them in hard plastic. I could envision this as this kickstarter's version of the pinup line.

* Electronic rules - Something, anything along these lines. Like some people here, I got my rules bound for durability, but even so, searching is slow and I'd love to be flash the art for story events onto a big screen while we play.

* Transport Aids - Not really sure what to say here. Maybe some official foam panels for the figures, or a rebuilt custom insert/box for the game+expansions that really fits everything. Right now, the game is a beast on my shelf that takes multiple boxes and a display case to hold everything - moving it is not really an option.

Eh, I'll probably think of more things as the days tick down, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Boyeldieu
United Kingdom
Glasgow
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) 1.4 upgrade pack.
2) Hardback rule book.
3) Dragon King reprint. Perhaps reprints of other popular expansions.
4) Reprint of the plastic armour kits and pin-ups.

5) Very few (or no) new expansions - Because the game has already been tooled, I don't expect that Adam wants to spend too much time waiting on tooling more expansions and for it to take years to deliver like last time. If he focuses on a straight reprint (with the 1.4 changes), it could be out of the door by next summer (factoring in the KS campaign lasting until after Christmas and Chinese New Year). If there must new material, keep it to things already well developed.

6) Similar pricing to the current prices on the site, with possibly a small discount for preordering.
7) Haribo in packages sent from NYC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1 think Adam said in one interview that 1.4 isn't really a big update, some few cards and rules, so I don't think it will be part of the Ks, but I would love to see 1.4 pack out by that time.

Also he said the lantern festival was brought back to the drawin table cause "it wasn't fun", but we will see, maybe the surprise is the ram God expansion with the "invasion" play mode .

Let's hope for the best !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
Regarding 1.4 i expect that he WILL have a online pdf of the changed cards (he said was around of 10-13) as soon as its ready (aka at least before sending them to print), and the physical update pack available in the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The update 1.4 doesn't force you to buy a new game. This was already confirmed months ago.

That said, I hope it's not too pricey.

I'm looking forward to new expansions being as expensive as the expansions from the first kickstarter (I doubt that though).

A hardcover may be nice.

EDIT: hope some of the other games he referenced will be included as well (I doubt it though).

EDIT # 2: BLACK FRIDAY DISCOUNTS (again I can dream for my little old wallet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild speculation time:

There's been talk of a cheaper iteration of the game. There have also been a lot of very organic and not very textured monsters released recently.

What do these 2 things have in common?

PVC.

So, said speculation-- the game might see a new parallel campaign set in PVC, allowing access for new players/people who don't want to pay $400 for a board game, and a substantial expansion for those who already have the core, without a dramatic drop in quality if the sets are planned for and stylized appropriately.

Just a thought.

edit- Oh, also, stretch goals: some of the monsters that have been showing up with stated intent to be expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Wild speculation time:

There's been talk of a cheaper iteration of the game. There have also been a lot of very organic and not very textured monsters released recently.

What do these 2 things have in common?

PVC.

So, said speculation-- the game might see a new parallel campaign set in PVC, allowing access for new players/people who don't want to pay $400 for a board game, and a substantial expansion for those who already have the core, without a dramatic drop in quality if the sets are planned for and stylized appropriately.

Just a thought.

edit- Oh, also, stretch goals: some of the monsters that have been showing up with stated intent to be expansions.

You know we're still on that you think the game will be $250, right? (no I haven't forgotten )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:

To be fair the quality of miniatures versus price in KDM Is becoming harder to justify with games like The Others on the market. The appocalypse set costs as much as "Dung Beetle" but comes fully assembled with cards, manuals and it's easily just as detailed as far as minis goes. Except you get six times as many. Unless assembling is ones jam, KDM becomes a bit of a swindle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zen, pretty sure I said $250+ shipping (for about $300), and eh, sure, I'll keep the guess. Less if my wild speculation is true.

Kain, sorry, haven't played it so I have no idea the quality, size, or game content- I keep seeing about 4-6 large models when I searched vs. the DBK's 1 large guy; 2 small ones; 1 large terrain piece, though- it doesn't look like the expansion's got 24 models in it.

I don't think KD is a fantastic value, though. It's a pretty good price compared to miniatures gaming prices (better than some, but IMHO about on par with most better companies) but with more and different content, but compared to board games where people are less-excited about models, yeah, I'd consider it expensive. And that's part of why I'd speculate that some smart use of material and a cheaper edition that doesn't alienate existing players would be a good move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Actually, I hope we can get Lantern Festival this October on a sale, then get onboard the new ks with new content

I don't doubt for a second that the Lantern Festival will go up retail before the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

To be fair the quality of miniatures versus price in KDM Is becoming harder to justify with games like The Others on the market. The appocalypse set costs as much as "Dung Beetle" but comes fully assembled with cards, manuals and it's easily just as detailed as far as minis goes. Except you get six times as many. Unless assembling is ones jam, KDM becomes a bit of a swindle.

Except the quality of the minis in KDM is 100x better than anything Cool Mini or Not has ever put out.

Quote:
easily just as detailed as far as minis goes

is just simply not true whatsoever. I've compared KDM minis to Others minis, just a few days ago, and it's a night and day difference, both in "feel" and detail.

Not saying it makes the game worth it, but that fact remains. KDM is stupidly overpriced and Poots has found his niche, because suckers like me will throw money at anything he puts out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
t3clis wrote:

I don't doubt for a second that the Lantern Festival will go up retail before the KS.

That's why I used the word 'hope'. The exact wording was
KDU #19 wrote:
My intention is to have one final update for all the outstanding rewards listed above. While it was scheduled for September, a few things might push it back. Regardless, I want to ensure that Kickstarter 1 is %99.999999 wrapped before we launch Kickstarter 2.

It should be noted that some lines before it was only mentioned "the announcement", not the actual sale, but a man can dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Kain, sorry, haven't played it so I have no idea the quality, size, or game content- I keep seeing about 4-6 large models when I searched vs. the DBK's 1 large guy; 2 small ones; 1 large terrain piece, though- it doesn't look like the expansion's got 24 models in it.

Woops, you're right. Entirely forgot about the 2 survivor models. My numbers were off on that one

79strat wrote:
[q="Dark63"][q="spiralingcadaver"]
Except the quality of the minis in KDM is 100x better than anything Cool Mini or Not has ever put out.

Quote:
easily just as detailed as far as minis goes

is just simply not true whatsoever. I've compared KDM minis to Others minis, just a few days ago, and it's a night and day difference, both in "feel" and detail.

Alright, well, that's just not fair. 100X is a tad excessive. I do love KDM, by all means.

I look at my GORM and Headhunter and then look at Blood Rage monsters and The Others sins and I have to disagree.

While, I will agree the survivors are far better in quality(by a LOT) it's the large scale monsters I'm a little disappointing by. I can do a picture side by side comparison of these too and it's fairly evident they're on par at best, that's just quality side of things, but if you count assembly and price, it becomes a little funky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Honestly, i'm hoping they don't release a crazy amount of content. Especially big stuff that hasn't been fully developed (*cough cough* Lantern Festival) that could delay delivery of other rewards.
I want the 1.4 update kit to be fairly cheap, since it's just a few patched cards and a couple rules (saviors at least).

And, this of course being a personal aside, I really don't want the game to massively drop in price for this kickstarter. Both because Adam deserves full profit from it, and because there's enough demand that he could probably tack $50-100 on and people would still by it (probably grumble, but buy it). But it would also feel a little disrespectful of the older buyers, who not only paid more but also have to buy another update hit in order to have the same product.

Now i'm not saying don't do sales. I could see, like, $350 (maybe $300, but it's a stretch) as their early bird/Black Friday deal. But if the base game costs under that, it'll sting a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can do a picture side by side comparison of these too and it's fairly evident they're on par at best, that's just quality side of things, but if you count assembly and price, it becomes a little funky

Can you post some side by side pictures (on scale by size) that shows that? I'm saying this because one such affirmation was done in the past (with another game), and when comparing details scaled by size, it was simply not true. To make you an example, I haven't yet seen another plastic mini that has the same size and the same detail of a phoenix or the dbk. Specifically, take a square centimeter of phoenix feathers or dbk exoskeleton and compare it with a square centimeter of another miniatures of the same height with a comparable base (I won't say to find the same base, because you won't be able to compare anything to dk and sunstalker).

Heck, even the DK, that is the biggest playable miniature so far, has incredible detail in skin creases and horns (being that big, painting was pretty dull, but you appreciate the details).

I have Warhammer quest silver tower and kingdom death minis in the same glass display at home (it's temporary, but I have to box some of the older minis to make room and I can't force myself to do that yet... Blood bowl was my life eight years ago ), and although I can make arguments that GW makes the best mass production plastics today, the comparison of same size miniatures just can't be done (take the mistweaver next to a starting survivor, the guy has TOENAILS!). And kdm minis are on par with gw price tag (comparing number of sprues and size, not in actual minis: in gw products 10 minis are in 2 or 3 sprues, in kdm you have 4 or 5 minis with the same number of sprues. The cost per mini comes out somewhat higher (1.2 to 1.8 times for the base game against my old Empire army plastics, I remember to have calculated one day), but the cost per plastic used is the same or just very slightly more expensive.

I also like other company products (quite a lot, for some games), there are models that I find more beautiful than kdm ones and usually I appreciate more the poses of minis from other games, but the detail was and is astonishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another feature has just come to my mind:

Would you like the 5-6 players rules to be improved? As they are now, almost everyone agrees that the current (im)balance XD of the game is broken with the somewhat too simplystic 5-6 player rules. Maybe having KDM scale well to that number would also be a great addition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd like to see a crazy amount of addons and extras. I don't mind if it takes years to deliver them. Wouldn't it be cool to get a monthly KDM expansion in the mail?

When it comes to the 1.4 upgrade I really hope they have got their cmyk settings right. Because I already have basic hunt event cards in three different colours. I really hope that they won't introduce more. Or maybe they should. Because it's too obvious when a expansion hunt event is on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.