Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the captain look at all cards and discard down to his periscope level +1 or does he randomly choose from the cards he gets from the other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
The Chicken of DOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The captain gets to look through and choose from all the cards he is given by other players. This is the benefit and disadvantage of the captain role: you often get more cards, but they're other players' cast-offs.
The periscope only dictates how many cards you are dealt on your non-captain turns.
Hope you enjoy it - I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigus69 wrote:
The captain gets to look through and choose from all the cards he is given by other players. This is the benefit and disadvantage of the captain role: you often get more cards, but they're other players' cast-offs.
The periscope only dictates how many cards you are dealt on your non-captain turns.

Ok, so what if a level 1 periscope captain gets four cards in hand from other players on a turn, does he start his next turn with 3 cards then? (provided he only played one card last turn).

This game is starting to become our nr 1 family game, really enjoying it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
The Chicken of DOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
Craigus69 wrote:

Ok, so what if a level 1 periscope captain gets four cards in hand from other players on a turn, does he start his next turn with 3 cards then? (provided he only played one card last turn).

No, he plays one this turn and discards the rest. Then next turn, when he is no longer the captain, he draws as many as his periscope level allows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
Craigus69 wrote:

This game is starting to become our nr 1 family game, really enjoying it!

Nope, not the next turn. The Captain performs the SAME turn with the leftover cards from other players. Captain doesn't receive any cards from the pile at the start of the turn, only the leftovers.
Btw. another Captain's difference is (s)he gets to choose her card from the (potentionally bigger-than-periscope-level) hand AFTER seeing what other players have chosen and turned face-up. It's not as significant for the overall strategy, but it's worth mentioning.

EDIT: Essentionally, you may think of the Captain as the LAST player for the turn. Too bad there's no token for it, we use handing of the very card pile instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Craigus69 wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
Craigus69 wrote:

No, he plays one this turn and discards the rest. Then next turn, when he is no longer the captain, he draws as many as his periscope level allows.

I completely missed the part where it says to discard the cards you don't play as the captain!

I think I'm getting a bit confused as I jump between playing both 2 and 3+ player games. In the 2 player game you can only discard 1 card and the rest go to your opponent. So a player with 3 periscopes in a 2 player game could potentially give his opponent 3 cards, preventing them from drawing cards the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:
Btw. another Captain's difference is (s)he gets to choose her card from the (potentionally bigger-than-periscope-level) hand AFTER seeing what other players have chosen and turned face-up. It's not as significant for the overall strategy, but it's worth mentioning.

Oh wow, I missed that nuance of the turn order. It could be significant when counting Kraken eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
BorderCon was a blast this year!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
myyysha wrote:

Oh wow, I missed that nuance of the turn order. It could be significant when counting Kraken eyes.

Same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.