Subject: Once more about monster movement... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a situation where my two investigators were sharing a 4-space room with a monster. When the monster activated, the app said something like: "Move the monster up to 2 spaces so that it is adjacent to as many investigators as possible, and then attack an adjacent investigator with most xxxxx".

Now, since the room was a square with 2x2 pattern of spaces, each space in the room would satisfy the condition... The monster being adjacent to as many investigators as possible.
In my case, the positioning of the monster in the room could be used in my advantage during the following turn, so I moved the monster to a different space.

I wonder if this was a legal move..? After all, the monster was already positioned so that the condition for its attack was fulfilled. Now I moved it solely for my own benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think because the command says "up to 2 spaces" that the monster should stay in the space with the investigators.
Moving no spaces fits the command to move "up to 2 spaces" and it also meets the second criterion of the command to be as adjacent to as many investigators as possible.

I think in this game, the default is whatever is most trouble for the investigators.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Conflicts section at the front of the RRG have the answer:

RRG - Conflicts wrote:
It is possible for a game effect to have more than one possible
outcome. In such a case, investigators as a group determine the
outcome of that effect.

Thus, you can indeed choose any space within the 2 spaces of movement that is adjacent to the most investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:
The Conflicts section at the front of the RRG have the answer:

RRG - Conflicts wrote:
It is possible for a game effect to have more than one possible
outcome. In such a case, investigators as a group determine the
outcome of that effect.

Thus, you can indeed choose any space within the 2 spaces of movement that is adjacent to the most investigators.

I need to look, but I believe there's something about least to satisfy, but this might be me adding my own interpretation.

Whether it's a rule or no, I wouldn't move the monster (the ability to move monsters off of the player so that it's still "in range" as requested, but now you don't have to evade is cheesy.

This brings up something else. Does adjacency track diagonal across 4-way intersecting borders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacency is not connected diagonally. Such spaces do not share a border, which is its definition.

I think the only rules that are defined here are for "Toward" and "Away From".

This type of movement doesn't involve that, it involves moving to the best space that fulfills the condition. If multiple spaces fulfill the condition, the investigators are able to decide which one, and I can't find anything in the rulebook that forces any secondary criteria (such as choosing the worst space).

Of course, nothing stops the players intentionally choosing the worst space for them too. If that's how you like your Arkham games, feel free to make that choice. It's not necessary to play that way, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.