$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Metin Ünüvar
Turkey
İstanbul
Turkey
flag msg tools
For a year now me and my best friend played the game with some variant rules we made up. We didnt like the objective focused game. Because it cuts most of the strategies and depends too much on your dice roll luck and command card luck. I did not look at this forum before we made this variant. Now that i've read some death match or army wipe variants, i wanted to share ours because i thinks its a good version. Be careful: This game mod extend the playing time 30 minutes to one hour.

Setup
NOTHING is different.

Rules
*Victory Points (VP) are now called Reinforcement Points(RP).Change any Lore Card and Scenario Card text accordingly. During the game once per Command Phase you can call reinforcements. To call reinforcements you pay the deploy cost of the unit and place it on one of your deployment hexes (colored on the scenario card) on the BACK ROW. You can only call reinforcements to your back row.
-You can only call one unit per turn.
-Legends can only be deployed once.(Either as setup deploy or reinforcement) Once a Legend dies it cant come back.
-You cant deploy units if they exceed their deployment card number. Exp: There are only three Blood Sisters deployment cards in the game. Lets say all three are on the board but they took some damage so three figures are in the reserve. Technically you have enough minis to deploy another Blood Sisters unit but it is forbidden because there are three on the board. (This rule prevents elite spaming and problems with healing effects.)
-If there are no deployment hexes in a section on the scenario, you still can deploy reinforcements in that section. The third hex from the edge of the board counts as a colored hex for only reinforcement purpouses. (For the left and right sections.) And on the middle section middle two hexes are reinforcement hexes. THIS RULE ONLY APPLY IN THE ABSENCE OF BACK ROW DEPLOYMENT HEXES

*Capturing your opponent's Command Tent gives you 5 RP instead of 2. (Non-tested variant rule: Command Tent gives 4 RP but additional call for reinforcement next turn. Two reinforcemnets instead of one.)

*During your Command Phase you can pay 2 Lore and discard one Command Card to draw a new Command Card. (This prevents late game clogging and reduces the impact of bad luck.) We call this effect "divination spells" to see inside the fog of war

ALL Scenarios and Lore Cards function the same.

Dragon, Giant and Razorwings Expansions are not compatible with these rules Because we dont have them and we didnt try and tested with them. I dont even know how they work. Feel free to post your opinions about neutral units.

Ending the Game
The game immediately ends when a player doesnt have any units left on the board.

Special Notes
Mustering the Militia Scenario Card is a little bit overpowered. We play it as it also reduces the reinforcement cost of Citadel Guards. But if you think this is too much, you can rule it so the Scenario only affects initial setup deployment.

Compatible with these Expansions:
-Hernfar Guardians
-Warband of Scorn
-Terrors of the Mist
-Heralds of Dreadfall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a solid variant. What are play times like, compared to the original game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metin Ünüvar
Turkey
İstanbul
Turkey
flag msg tools
Like i said in the post it usually extends the game about 30-40 minutes. One time we had a 1 hour game. We also had a 2 and a half one, in which i had two units left and he had 1 in the last three round. It was a epic but an exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
metinfb37 wrote:
Like i said in the post

Ah, yeah. Missed that, sorry. blush

Wrt the neutral reinforcements, I think I'd allow them to be enlisted at the start of the game as with the original rules. Legendary units would become unavailable after being destroyed, just as you have it in your variant already. And I'd put a 2-point surcharge on recruitment of neutral reinforcement units during the later game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An innovative and simple way to implement a reinforcement mechanic and include deathmatch play while keeping scenarios. It sounds very intriguing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really want to try this.

Are the undead weakened by this, since they already allow reinforcements of a sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metin Ünüvar
Turkey
İstanbul
Turkey
flag msg tools
Quote:
I really want to try this.

Are the undead weakened by this, since they already allow reinforcements of a sort?

We were really afraid of this when they announced Undead Army. It is the only reason why i didnt post this game mode last year. But we palyed three games last week and it seemed fine. The fact that you can combo graveyard and reinforcement was a interesting idea and they dont change the total number of units in the game they are actually glorified healing spells So both graveyards and the Lore Card Raise Dead seems to be fine.

And no they are not weak in fact the necromancers shine in this. Because normally if you make a necromancer tactic your opponent either kills the necromancers or the minions and now they are useless. But in this if you have RPs available you can reinforce necromancers with minions or send a necromancer "commander" to your minion horde. One playthrough i started with three necromancer units and called them two more times when they were eliminated.

Our only concern is End Of the World Lore Card. If you get it early, it is devastating. My opponent called one more minion after original deployment and then used End Of the World. I won the game but it was a Zerg Rush kinda situation. You can do the same in normal game but its easier in our mode because you can have so much more minions in theory.

By the way we played circa 15 games in this mode and twelve of them were Blue vs Red.(with expanded expansion armies) We had this game mode idea after the first two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great and worth a try. I like BL2 a lot but got fed up with the unbalanced nature of the VP system in many scenarios and the drivers to follow one strategy to win. Your variant should open up the game and make for more strategies to be tried out.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try this variant with my daughter last weekend. She had her fave Heralds of Dreadfall to start in the "Taming the Twin Vipers" scenario, and I used the Reign of Venom army (with a blood field instead of the 2 surplus lore) in "The Blood-Stained Forest." We had all published Undead and Uthuk units available for reinforcement purposes. She won solidly, although my Blood Sisters reinforcements didn't allow her to finish up easily.

I was having a lot of trouble getting the order cards I needed, and I was spending lore on lore cards (with disappointing effects) and removal of blighting, etc., so that I didn't even have the 2 lore to pay for a redraw. I think that rule is a good one for this variant.

The whole game did only take 30-40 minutes longer than usual, so I can confirm the estimated play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metin Ünüvar
Turkey
İstanbul
Turkey
flag msg tools
Quote:
This sounds great and worth a try. I like BL2 a lot but got fed up with the unbalanced nature of the VP system in many scenarios and the drivers to follow one strategy to win. Your variant should open up the game and make for more strategies to be tried out.

Yeah this was the reason we created this variant. The game is great, minis are top quality and the combat system is really cool but the missions and Vp forces you to a narrow gameplay and shallow strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.