Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, i came to this game after playing betrayal at the house of the hill

i really liked opening the tiles and creating the game

How does this game does this? is the map preset? how many tiles are there?

are there many house tiles like betrayal?

i want to see if it's worth getting one or both games, and as a bonus i could use the tiles for Call of cthulhu rpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original MOM, did a pre-game board set up like Betrayal. However the second addition is app driven and the tiles are laid out as you explore and discover new areas, so you don't know what is there until it's discovered.

With the expansion there are 56 double sided tiles. They show mansion rooms & exterior locations that you will place depending on the setting of the scenario you are playing. They are a lot of house tiles!

I have all three games. The original MOM, never got any play. It was just too much setup and work to run a game IMHO. MOM2, with it's app driven "keeper/dungeon master" fixes all that. It does all the heavy lifting and the board & monsters gets set up as you go. It's just very easy to play now.

I certainly like MOM2 better than Betrayal. Better and much more mini's, easier setup, etc. But the two games feel very different to me. MOM2, is a horror based game, but it feels a little more RPG to me. I like that and love the Lovecraftian environment, but it's just not scary/creepy feeling to me, it's just fun.
Betrayal for some reason is just plain exploring a haunted house creepy to me. I get that "Evil Dead" feel, where you know someone is going to turn evil, you just don't know who or when. Betrayal doesn't get played near as much as MOM2, mainly because of MOM2's app managed ease, but when we want something creepy on a late night, we turn down the lights, drag out the candles, turn on the scary theme music and drag out Betrayal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles are just perfect for use with Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game if you use 28mm miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Grimstringer wrote:

How does this game does this? is the map preset? how many tiles are there?

are there many house tiles like betrayal?

The tiles are pre-set but hidden at the start of the game and revealed as you explore. Some of the scenarios have variant maps, although they're still pre-built (the layout isn't random); the App will simply select one of the variations at start-up.

There are 24 double-sided map tiles in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
The tiles are just perfect for use with Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game if you use 28mm miniatures.

The use of tiles - but most especially the minis - for roleplaying purposes was a key factor in deciding to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.